Been away quite a while. Q re new higher lumen LED lights.

jhereg

Enlightened
My favorite LED light is my L4 (which I recently found after a long absence.) I haven't been on CPF for 6 months or a year so I'm behind on what new lights are out. What's available in the higher lumen ranges for a decent price? (
Specifically 100+ or 200+ lumens & probably $100 - $150 max.)

bspofford

Enlightened
You're smart to ask about output since dealer and manufacturer claims are often much higher than acutal. In another thread I revealed my foolishness in relying on advertised claim that the Ultrafire EMR1 puts out 200 lumens. In the $17 range, you should check out the 1X16340 "8W Mini CREE LED Digital Torch" at DX. The 1X18650 Ultrafire Alpha-C1 with a Q2 at Supertactical is nice at about $22. In the $25 range you will find two exceptional 1X18650 lights with bright white output, great beam pattern and two-stage reverse clickies. They are the Eastward YJ-18WA and Yj-18WF. Beyond these, you are paying for high quality HAIII bodies, not necessarily higher quality light. My 1X18650 LumaPower M1 and 1X18650 Dereelight CL1H, with a 5-mode Q2 P60 module, are both under $100. I actually like the latter more because it has a forward clickie with momentary and exchangeable P60 modules with a lower pricetag too. My personal experience is that over $100, you are buying a name more than better quality or output.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
I belive the current generation of P4 (Seoul and Cree) are both 240 bulb lumens at 1000 ma, Translating to approx 160 out the front lumens. Most CR123 carry 500ma of charge and so makers commonly run the LEDs at 500 to extend max brightness to 1 hour. This is common and cheap, ie Fenix line (<$100). Custom makers or Aleph type of component lights can be assembled to push up to 1000ma or a bit higher. Cost on these is normally higher ($150-?).

Ken

Daekar

Enlightened
My favorite LED light is my L4 (which I recently found after a long absence.) I haven't been on CPF for 6 months or a year so I'm behind on what new lights are out. What's available in the higher lumen ranges for a decent price? (
Specifically 100+ or 200+ lumens & probably $100 - $150 max.)

Actually you're not going to need to pay much for 100+ lumens, necessarily... and if you're willing to do a bit of modding to drop in a Q5 Cree, you can get 200+ lumens pretty easily too. Because I don't know what you're using the light for specifically, I'll default to recommending that you pre-order the new Luxeon Rebel "100 Premium" Fenix lights, which should give you around 100 lm/watt. As I understand it, the more powerful Fenix lights will be putting out around 200 lumens on high or turbo. I'd recommend checking out the P3D-RB100 or the L2D-RB100 because they're similar to your L4.

If you're looking for a long-range light, the two contenders at the moment are the Lumapower MRV and the Tiablo A8. Both are capable performers, but if you're going to mod it in the future with a new emitter I'd recommend the MRV because you'll be able to more easily get higher output. It delivers ~1190mA to the emitter and has superb heatsinking, whereas the A8 delivers around 980mA IIRC - but of course, it doesn't seem to get hot either. :twothumbs It's a win-win choice because they're both good - with a Cree Q5 dropped in, they should both be 250+ lumens, with the MRV edging out the A8 at maybe 265-280. Both have reflectors which are works of art. :)