KL-4 vs KL-1 Physical Size (Dept. of Trivial Questions)

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
This just in from the Department of Trivial Questions: :D

Why is the KL-1 LED conversion head physically larger than the KL-4 head, which houses a higher-output emitter and, if nothing else, presumably needs greater heatsinking?

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The KL4 uses a smaller reflector to focus the light into a wide beam while the KL1 uses a custom made TIR lens to focus the light into a tighter beam. Also (i don't know if this is right, just a guess) that the KL1s electronics are actually a vertical board instead of a circular board that is horizontally oriented within the light.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I just noticed, reading on the SF website, that the KL-1 uses a TIR optic - I bet that's the difference...not sure about how the electronics are arranged, though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: KL4 vs KL1 Physical Size (Dept. of Trivial Questions)

Note that there is no "-" between 'KL' and '4' etc. It's KL1 not KL-1 for example.

Also (i don't know if this is right, just a guess) that the KL1s electronics are actually a vertical board instead of a circular board that is horizontally oriented within the light.
It seems you are confusing the LED bezels with the L2 (and old L1) bodies.
The PCB's used by the KL bezels is all orientated the same way.

The difference between the KL1 and KL4 is the LED size - the KL4's large LuxeonV LED compared to the KL1's smaller LuxeonIII LED.

The diameter of the KL1 is essentially the same as the KL4 - It's the length of the bezels that is different.

The beams produced by the KL1 and KL4 are so different that its not really possible to compare them - that is to say it is not really practicable to use the other LED/beam generation type in order to generate the beam of the first.
If you wanted to create the beam of the KL4 using a LuxeonIII & TIR - the bezel would likely have to be wider diameter.
If you wanted to create the beam of the KL1 using a LuxeonV & reflector - the bezel would likely have to be both wider diameter and longer.

Al

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Al...will keep that pesky hypen under control ;)

Reading Quickbeam's old review, it looks like the original KL1 was more of a flood beam, compared to the tighter throw beam of the current KL1. There is a good beamshot comparison of the old KL1, the current KL1 and the KL4 at the bottom of that page.

Al, do you kow if the original KL1 ever came in HA black?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Al, do you kow if the original KL1 ever came in HA black?
Not that I'm aware of. Only HA and SG (Satin Gray)
such as:
P206.jpg

The current KL1 (which has been discontinued and replaced by the KX1 & KX2) was made in both HA and black HA.

This is a photo of the (top to bottom)
E2e (prior to it coming as standard with the Z57 Clickie)
E2e+KL1 (gen 1)
E2e+KL2 (gen 2) (note it would be an old E2L if the clip was long)
L4
P59.jpg

Notice the change to the new body style...

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Oh, I must have confused the board orientations of the regulators in the old and Cree L1s. Other than that I can provide no further information.