Which is a better keychain light?

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I'm looking for an LED key chain light. I've narrowed down my search to the Fenix L0D-CE and the Arc AAA-P. Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

xiaowenzu

Banned
Hi!

I'm looking for an LED key chain light. I've narrowed down my search to the Fenix L0D-CE and the Arc AAA-P. Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

I'd personally get the Photon Freedom because I love the dimmable modes, and I'm very weight sensitive. It weighs next to nothing! Well in your case, I'd recommend the Arc-AAA because it's has much better quality in design and construction. and well, it's an ARC! which is gives you bragging rights. :))

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy smvtsailor, and welcome to CPF,
Why don't you tell us a little bit more about what you are looking for in a light, and maybe give us a budget.

The ARC-P is certainly a classic, and a gem of simplicity and ruggedness, but not very bright by todays standards, and only one level. On the other hand, the Fenix LOD-CE is pretty much state-of-the-art for a production 1xAAA light, has a decent track record here on CPF, and offers multiple levels of light (including a pretty bright top level).

Of course, I like xiaowenzu's suggestion of the Photon Freedom too, as it also has a great track record, weighs almost nothing, has multiple levels, and will actually disappear on your keyring, all at a very reasonable price.

So, let us know a little more about your intended uses, what you already have, etc.... and we will be able to help direct towards the proper choice for your next light.

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
My L0D with a 10440 has been on my keychain ever since I first got it months ago, excellent brightness for its size.

KuoH

Marduke

Flashaholic
You may want to consider the Fenix E0 also. It's similar in function to the Arc, has a longer runtime with regulation.

cv3po

Banned
Most definitely an lod-ce AND a white photon II (with a single 2032 cell). That way you have the state of the art adjustable aaa light as well as an ultra-reliable backup that's bright enough for emergency use while still having long battery life. My friend has an arc-aaa p and while it seems very durable, it still is too expensive for a 5mm single mode light and my lod-ce seems just as durable and you have the option of using a 10440 li-ion (search the forums for a thread on this, sounds pretty safe) for insane brightness!

CJ

h2xblive

Enlightened
Depends on what you want in a light.

In my opinion, if you want performance, don't get the Arc-P. I do believe it's the most reliable keychain light...at least from what I've read from these boards. So if you need a light that will always work, get the Arc.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Fenix L0D-CE, Arc AAA-P, JETBeam JET-μ.
I pick the JETBeam JET-μ for my keychain.

barkingmad

Enlightened
Most definitely an lod-ce AND a white photon II (with a single 2032 cell). That way you have the state of the art adjustable aaa light as well as an ultra-reliable backup that's bright enough for emergency use while still having long battery life.

+1 to that - have both - use the L0D-CE as the main running off NiMH (low self discharge Eneloop etc. - or 10440 Li-ion if you want super output) and the Photon (I actually use a 'Freedom') as a backup.

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
So, let us know a little more about your intended uses, what you already have, etc.... and we will be able to help direct towards the proper choice for your next light.

I've had a few cheap key chain lights in the past, and not surprisingly they all broke. I would use this for possibly a reading light and a general purpose flashlight. My budget is about $45.

I've heard of the ARC's legendary reliability, but how is the reliability of the Fenix L0D-CE? For everyone here that has one, did it ever not turn on when you needed it? The main thing that I don't like about the ARC is that the beam supposedly has a blue tint. The main thing I don't like about the Fenix is that the reliability may drop.

I will also look into the E0 and the Photon freedom/II lights.

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
i don't have experience with any other's but the LOD-ce has been nice so far(i've had it for less than a week). seems very durable. provides nice amounts of light. it will obviously add some bulk. and you may see some pulsing for the low levels. which may or may not effect reading activities. but probably not...

is it reliable. :shrug: but i certainly like knowing it's on my keychain. never know when you're going to be stranded...keys seems to always be with me.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If part of its duty will be as a general purpose light then I think the L0Dce would better serve. The Arc or E0 will ride the keychain a bit easier, but their range is less. For that slightly added size you get three levels from reading to walking. The Arc probably is more durable in the extreme.

Geoff

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
I've had my L0dCE for a few months now and its always been reliable.

If you want to use it for reading, you probably should run it on the 1.2v NiMH rechargables. With the 10440 Li-ion batteries, the low setting is almost too bright for comfortable reading at close range and there is some noticeable 'flicker'. Is it objectionable flicker?... not for me, but I could see how some people might find it annoying. The NiMH would still produce plenty of light on high for general lighting.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I don't have the L0D-CE, but i *do* have the older L0P-SE, and i have an Arc AAA-P on order (should be here tomorrow)

my L0P-SE has been a reliable light, nice smooth hotspot-to-spill transition, the three power levels are nicely implemented, however, the "Hard Anodizing" isn't wearing well, there are worn areas all over the light, and not just on the corners, which is a known weak spot for HA in general, the L0P-SE also uses PWM to dim the LED, and I do notice it, annoying but not a dealbreaker

the Arc, from what i've heard, is far more durable, has better Hard Anodizing, a grippiier knurling, and is reasonably bright for a 5MM based device, that said, it *IS* a 5MM LED, and has a slightly bluish beam, and has only one light level

Arc advantages;
Superior HA
durable, simple design
efficient, long runtime
one power level
Chemkoted interior to protect against battery corrosion and increase electrical conductivity

Arc disadvantages;
"Angry Blue" Nichia 5mm LED
exposed LED (recessed, but exposed)
one power level

L0D-CE advantages;
nice, clean white tint, smooth hotspot-to-spill transition
multiple power levels
glass window protects LED

L0D-CE disadvantages;
HA less durable than Arc

It basically comes down to what you're looking for, the Fenix L0 series lights can double both as a keychain light, *AND* a primary light, and if you want a decent general-purpose light are a great little light, however, the multiple power levels/modes can complicate the user interface, and some people notice PWM flickering more than others, the Fenix Hard Anodizing seems marginally less durable than SureFire/Arc/HDS/etc... but let's be honest here, HA wear is a *COSMETIC* issue only, it does not affect the functionality of the light

the Arc AAA is a great backup light, a light that you can depend on to be utterly reliable, no it's not as bright as the Fenix, but it's far more durable, reliable, and thanks to the efficiency of the 5MM LED, more battery efficient

I went with the Arc simply because I already carry much brighter lights (E1L-SR and Aviatrixed A2 Aviator, Inova X5 White LED), and I want an absolutely bulletproof, reliable backup light, runtime and durability are priorities here

It all depends on what *you* want

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the Liteflux LF2 myself with 10440, which has replaced the L0D-CE with 10440 as my EDC light (see the link in my signature for a detailed comparison review). The way I have mine configured, it's a two stage twisty -- 1/4 twist for a very low "low" level (lower than most simple coin cell lights), and a very high "high" level. It's the only light I've been able to find explicitly designed for use with 10440 cells, which is why I use it (it's regulated up to 5V, and has low-voltage cutoff). I also like the fact that PWM is extremely fast, thus not noticeable compared to L0D-CE.

tomL

Newly Enlightened
I like a Photon actually on my keychain, and any of the above mentioned choices in my pocket.

You want to keep the keychain light in weight so it won't damage the ignition switch in your car. This means limiting the number of keys and tool too.

fstuff

Newly Enlightened
Why not one of those 10 for $5 keychain lights at DealExtreme?

edit:
i mean vs the Photon Freedom

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not one of those 10 for $5 keychain lights at DealExtreme?

Because they can't do this :twothumbs:

stairfenixl0dceliff5.jpg

-by UnknownVT