10 watt 400 lumen star

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
DealExtreme listed some similar high power LEDs a week or two ago. Unless you need 1 emitter, you'd get better efficiency putting 3 Rebels, Crees, etc. together.

OddOne

Enlightened
I cooked up a PC board design for six Rebels on a 0.85" dia. double-sided board with a TON of vias and the whole backside as a heatplate for thermal transfer, if that counts for anything. (I have a feeler thread over in the marketplace about having a bunch made.) With 100lm Rebels it'll do a good thousand lumens if you can overdrive the LEDs without cooking them, and 0.85" would fit into a great many places. :eek: :D

oO

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are quite interesting considering the voltage is 13.5 to 14 volts. This would seem to lend itself very well to running in automotive applications. Typical voltage in a 12 volt system when running is usually close to 13.5 volts when the alternator is charging.

OddOne

Enlightened
Those are quite interesting considering the voltage is 13.5 to 14 volts. This would seem to lend itself very well to running in automotive applications. Typical voltage in a 12 volt system when running is usually close to 13.5 volts when the alternator is charging.

I'd still use a regulator for LEDs in automotive applications though, as auto electrical systems are VERY noisy. Loads of spikes up in the 50-70 volt range thanks to the back-EM from ignition coils. This is why if you've ever seen the inside of a car's ECM (Electronic Control Module, or engine computer) you'll always find at least one, and usually several, MOVs and other voltage transient suppressors, along with suppressor capacitors galore.

Thankfully, a 12-volt regulator works marvelously on car electrics since the charge voltage is 13-14VDC. Just gotta make sure the reg can handle 100-volt spikes safely, and that's fairly straightforward to do.

oO