Novatac...Anybody know the exact...

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dimentions of the front glass(polycarb) "Lens"? (We all know it is not a lens but a protective transparent hunk of glass or plastic..Right?)

I do not like polycarb on my flashlights. It scratches easily I want to replace it with a UCL but don't see it on the list. And I don't know it's size.
I am wondering if anybody else feels this way and wants to switch out the part.
Yaesumofo

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will probably switch the polycarbonate lens to a glass lens if possible. I have read that some people have exchanged their HDS TI bezels with the Novatac's bezel so the Novatac lens is probably very similar if not the same diametre.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why people are switching the bezel. I like the bezel. I understand it is stainless steel which is a great material for a bezel.
The Ti bezels were aftermarket I seem to remember buying them from McGizmo not HDS.
Yaesumofo

I will probably switch the polycarbonate lens to a glass lens if possible. I have read that some people have exchanged their HDS TI bezels with the Novatac's bezel so the Novatac lens is probably very similar if not the same diametre.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get it either. From the picture I saw, it seems the colour difference between the two may be a reason to try it. :shrug: Or maybe its just the LEGO mentality as I have also read where people have exchanged tailcaps.

I wonder why people are switching the bezel. I like the bezel. I understand it is stainless steel which is a great material for a bezel.
The Ti bezels were aftermarket I seem to remember buying them from McGizmo not HDS.
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO the NOVATAC is a fine little light vjust like it is out of the box. It doesn't require titanium bezel or a different tail pak (unless it if so you can use another battery). Man people tinker and trade things out just because they can. I suppose that is as valid a resion as an.
I do want to switch out the "lens". But I will likley leave it at that.
Yaesumofo

I don't get it either. From the picture I saw, it seems the colour difference between the two may be a reason to try it. :shrug: Or maybe its just the LEGO mentality as I have also read where people have exchanged tailcaps.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed Novatac and they said my HDS lens kit spares will fit the Novatac if that helps.

My 85P rocks!

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys know where the HDS Lens kits can be purchased from or if they are still available?

Thanks

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the lens listed for the HDS at Flashlightlens and it's a good fit.

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
Since my 85P is now my primary carry light, I swapped the polycarbonate lens with my HDC B42. I now have a nice piece of glass with a GITD o-ring on my 85P. Makes it easy to find on my headboard at night and I don't have to worry about scratches on my lens.

BBL

Enlightened
Can someone tell me how thick the stock lens on the novatac is?

Ziva2006

Newly Enlightened
Since my 85P is now my primary carry light, I swapped the polycarbonate lens with my HDC B42. I now have a nice piece of glass with a GITD o-ring on my 85P. Makes it easy to find on my headboard at night and I don't have to worry about scratches on my lens.

I'm thinking of putting a GITD o-ring in mine also. Its a little less expensive than trits, but what size o-ring is found to replace the stock one under the bezel? Also, what size o-rings are found around the battery case?

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I'm thinking of putting a GITD o-ring in mine also. Its a little less expensive than trits, but what size o-ring is found to replace the stock one under the bezel? Also, what size o-rings are found around the battery case?

O-Rings:
1.5mm x 21.5mm Buna N, 70 durometer.

I've pinched my enough that mine is now stretched. So I'm wondering if a higher durometer o-ring (harder) would be better.

-Steve

Ziva2006

Newly Enlightened
O-Rings:
1.5mm x 21.5mm Buna N, 70 durometer.

I've pinched my enough that mine is now stretched. So I'm wondering if a higher durometer o-ring (harder) would be better.

-Steve

Thanks Beastmaster.

Anyone know what size around the outside of the unit?

bspofford

Enlightened
Flashlightlens.com has an application guide:

22.61mm
Arc4, LongBow (o-ring included), HDS / Novatac EDC, Aleph 2 heads

I don't know if the 22.61 double-sided glass on clearance for $1.75 is too thin for the Novatac, but the price is right.

The inexpensive 24mm GITD o-rings from DX should fit. Having an o-ring slightly larger than the glass often makes it more stable and less likely to wiggle out.