Which Novatac did you buy AND why?

discohero

Newly Enlightened
With all the Novatacs being shipped out, I'm trying to see which version you bought AND more importantly WHY. Give me your reasons for buying the 85 v. 120 and EDC/T/P or any combination of the above. I've seen the comparison charts, love and hate a little bit for each type, and I'm trying to keep myself from buying one of each! I'm not looking for the standard depends on your needs answer, I just like hearing what others wanted out of this offering that many of us have been waiting for for so long.

LA OZ

Enlightened
85P because:

1. I don't believe the extra brightness on the 120 is significant enough to warrant a $40 premium.
2. I pick the P so I believe it could do a tail stand and programmable. This is how I like it and suit my type of work.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 120P because I wanted programmablity and I wanted a flat tail. I also got the 120P instead of the 85P because the runtime at 85 lumens on the 120P would be longer than the runtime at 85 lumens on the 85P.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy discohero, and welcome to CPF,
My 120P just arrived today. I think the main reason anybody would want the T model would be for the protruding tail cap.... but hey, the tail switch on the P model is VERY easy to operate..... not to easy..... just right. I guess if you had gloves, then maybe the T model might be a tad easier, but the button is big enough that even with gloves I think the P model would be easy to work.

And the P is programmable.... I mean hey.... you get to set each light level exactly where YOU want it.... and you can change your mind 5 minutes from now if you want. Not to mention all the other neat things you can do with the programming, like force the light to come on at the last level you used before turning it off if you want.

I got the 120 model because it's the brightest they make. If they offered a 160 or 200 model I would have gotten that. I want the option for the absolute brightest I can get..... then using the 4 adjustable levels I will pick the one I need for the task at hand.

Personally, I set my light to come on at 42 lumens, with my secondary at 5.3 lumens, minimum at .08 lumens and max at 120 lumens. Maybe I'll change my mind tomorrow. It's nice to know I can change it if I want to.

Is the 120 worth the $40 premium over the 85..... hmmmm ..... it is to me, and I guess that's what counts. What's cool, is that if anybody is sitting on the fence about whether to get one of these or not, thinking that $150 is just to much, well..... for just $110 they can get virtually the same light I got, at least for all practical purposes. So, that's my thinking on the matter.

For your situation, rather than buy all three, just get the 120P..... no need to get the 85P if you've already got the 120P. More than likely, you will find that the rear button is fine the way it is on the P model.. and of course you can then program it with any or all of the tactical abilities of the T model if you decide that's what you want. So, the 120 P pretty much gives you best of all 3 models.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
120T. Designed for law enforcement/military. Simple to use. I don't want to program a flashlight--it should do what I want from the factory. Protruding switch is easier to operate, though I don't generally wear gloves.

Sakkath

Newly Enlightened
I bought the 120-P model. :D:grin2::laughing:

In my work I really have use for a flashlight that can serve as a candle.

And as Derek Dean said, It's the brightest they got! :rock:

Now I can have a really low "low" and a really high "high", thats nice :naughty:

And if you'r going away for vacation, just reprogram it to suit your needs!

DM51

Flashaholic
My 120P and 120T just arrived a few minutes ago. Straight out of the boxes, I can see the plus points of both, and both are very easy to operate. The 120T is probably going to be the most useful for me - I like the tailswitch and the simplicity of the settings. The UI is very intuitive, with useful light levels for most eventualities - 120, 10, and 0.3 lumens - and the disorienting strobe (which is indeed VERY disorienting!)

EDIT: BTW, I can confirm the old HDS and 18650 tubes DO work with these Novatacs.

EDIT 2: The clip is a piece of cheap junk.

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like what Novatac did offering so many versions of the same basic flashlight. I hope Fenix takes a clue and packages a high power, programmable, P4D in a heavy duty body with multiple tubes. Getting tired of the clone bodies you see everywhere.

fleegs

Enlightened
120P because I need to change light levels, longer runtime at the 85 level than the 85P would give and the price.

This light is a very nice light. Took some getting used to (not same as U60) but I believe I like the interface much better on this light.

rob

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
** Check your EMMITTERS **

I got the 120P and almost returned it.
When I had it on low(3 clicks), I noticed alot of lube
on the emmiter. It was really bad.
When I stepped it up to secondary(2 clicks) I noticed a small
spot of lube on the side of the reflector as well.

At first I was very upset. I'd expect better for a 150.00 light.
I even email Lighthound for a return.

Dreading the return and wait time,I ended up taking apart the 120P...rather easy, just like an HDS.
I cleaned the emmiter and the reflector and now its perfect.

Looks like novatac got sloppy when rushing these lights out.
I was going to get a 120T, but I think I'll pass now:rolleyes:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread!

I chose the 85P because my trail light of choice up to this point was my HDS B42XRGT. The level I used most was 21 lumens. The 42 lumens on high was plenty for those WTF was that moments. So I figured 85 lumens for the WTF moments and 2.5 hours of regulated runtime on 30 lumens would be ideal for night hikes for me. I love the disorienting strobe (DS)! I will be the bane of the campfire my next trip to the woods.

So today I have the following setup; primary - 7.5 lumens (I think), secondary - 30 lumens, momentary - 85 lumens, minimum/triple click - DS.

Once you play around with the programming it is really easy to do. So I envision that I will configure the light for where ever I'm at.

Oh yeah, getting all this flexability for $110 was a killer deal IMHO! I remember when the HDS 60 models hit the market they where priced around $250.

kelmo

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ** Check your EMMITTERS **

Dreading the return and wait time,I ended up taking apart the 120P...rather easy, just like an HDS.
I cleaned the emmiter and the reflector and now its perfect.

I have a smudge on my reflector. How did you clean the reflector? and was there any scratches or flaking issues on it?

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
I also opted for the 120P, basically for the option to customize the settings to fit my individual needs and or requirements. The secondary bonus would be the longer runtimes at 85L, additionally made much more desireable since we have found out the HDS tubes will fit. Sooner or later I suppose, someone will do some run time tests with the 2x123(17670) and 18650 tubes at different lumen levels. Should be interesting!

Best Regards
Bob

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
120p
love the programming options and level options.

here is how I have it set:
Dis. strobe set to triple click, low and medium toggle with double click, and high still the same(click-press or press when on)
force setting-off
auto button lock-off
auto turn off-on
simple momentary-on

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 120P because I wanted programmablity and I wanted a flat tail. I also got the 120P instead of the 85P because the runtime at 85 lumens on the 120P would be longer than the runtime at 85 lumens on the 85P.

I really can't wait until someone confirms this to be true. The users manual states that the 85 has one less level than the 120.

Since that is the case, it is my opinion that the 85 lumen setting on the 85 and the 85 lumen setting on the 120 will produce the same amount of light for the same amount of time.

If this is true, then I will be completely happy buying another 85 or more.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The run time at 85lm on the 85 is 30min the runtime at 120 for the 120 is 30 min 85lm on the 120 is one step lower then max so it has to run longer

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I re-read the owners manual and in the run-time section, it shows that the runtime on the maximum setting is 30 minutes but it has an asterisk next to the note that indicates that the run-times are based on the 60 lumen model.

I cannot see where a company that seeks to mass produce the lights like Novatac does could spend the time selecting different LED's and then tuning the output to match the efficiency of the LED.

I am really, really looking forward for someone to do a run-time test.