recommend me flashlight ($25 max)

Grubbster

Enlightened
For under $25 I would recommend the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 1W. It uses two AA batteries and claims a runtime of 5 hours. Best of all you can pick one up at Walmart or several other retailers.

carrot

Flashaholic
I happen to think that the MagLED 3AA is a pretty good light in that price range. So is the Fenix L1S and L2S... and if you have a Target nearby take a look for the River Rock 1AA. You want the River Rock 1AA with the pocket clip. There is another 1AA light but it is not as good.

Pistolero

Enlightened
4D Maglight - Walmart - $19.99
2C Rayavoc Cree Xtreme - Walmart but MIA so far- $?25?
2AA 1Watt Rayovac extreme - Walmart $20
1AA RiverRock 1Watt -Target - $22
1AA Inova X1 - Target/Academy - $20

For that pricepoint, you might be better off shopping local. Besides, the upside of using local vendors like this is that you can do a return on them fairly painlessly, if you end up striking out with a bad light.

3AAA Garrity 9LED light. $7
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=169677
Rayovac 2AA 3watt - $25 http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=169466
$15 DX single stage AA - a winner
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=167532
2D 3 LED plastic Eveready - $8
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=170810

Pistolero

Enlightened
I happen to think that the MagLED 3AA is a pretty good light in that price range. So is the Fenix L1S and L2S... and if you have a Target nearby take a look for the River Rock 1AA. You want the River Rock 1AA with the pocket clip. There is another 1AA light but it is not as good.

I have both those River Rocks and I kinda disagree.
They're both great value lights and for different reasons.

River Rock 1AA 1Watt w/ Luxeon Emitter.
Package says 42 Lumens and 1 hr of runtime for $25.
The size, output, fit and feel of this light is great. The clip is a handy bonus. I like this light so much, it's my primary EDC. (Haven't ordered my LM301 yet.) My only real complaint is that the plastic lens gets scratched easily.

River Rock 1AA Nichia bulb with collimating lens. $12
No idea on the output level. It's outputs an even orb of light that is great for up close work. Second click of the barrel switch puts you into strobe mode. Strobe seems kinda useless, but if you put a diffuser film canister on it or something, it might make a good beacon. It has a stated runtime of 30hrs (60 hrs on strobe) I think it's a great "Just-in-case" I think I have them in my gloveboxes.

They both have their uses and place in my cheap flashlight arsenal.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
+1 on the MTE 1AA seoul its a great light. most other lights you will need to buy rechargable batteries and that can get expensive.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.

You've chosen price, now select size/battery, switching type, then LED.

IMHO, the Rebels are for those who've got to have the brightest and the latest, like CREE and Seoul were 6-9 months ago. If you're going for the "wow" factor, start with them. Since you're trying to "wow" look for one with multiple modes. If you want bright & simple, try a 1xAA CREE - then it comes down to clicky or twisty? If you want small, even at the expense of practical, look for 1xAAA (shorter runtimes than 1xAA, esp with bright LEDS).

If you're willing to try CR123a or RCR123a, look at the 2xCR123a WF-502B as a good all around choice and the WF-602 as a good 1xCR123a choice.

PS - DX search is pretty good - try "1xAA", then chose the section to look at (CREE, P4, etc).

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I think I'm the last surviving person to still recommend Princeton Tec, but they make some low cost, tough and long burning lights. And you can buy them local (most likely), avoiding the order-now-for-Christmas aspect of DX. And when you get them, they will work (forget the Luxeon lottery, the lower end DX lights are of the will-they-work? lottery).

PT output is not spectacular and there aren't multiple modes to play with, but these are solid, dependable lights that, a few months on, when you've bought better and bigger, you can put into your car or household emergency stores without too much worry.

Or how about a Gerber IU? I use mine every day, inside the house. Outdoors it's pitiful, but it's still a secure backup light (and the light you use to find that throw-monster in your backpack in the darkness!)

EDIT: I guess I'm coming from a utility-minded place, and I'm thinking of lights that won't get outdated later on. I'd probably add a Photon Freedom to my suggestions. Low output but massive use. Real-world, not impress-your-buddies lights.