Melted ProPoly

Danintex

Enlightened
Hi guys,
This post is waaay too late in coming, but the subject has been absent.:mecry:So I finally got to take some more pics and share the love! My cousin took a trip to the Dominican Republic for some mission work awhile back. When she returned she said something was wrong with the light I gave her. So I checked it out and found the following anomaly:
PICT0370.jpg

PICT0374.jpg

PICT0371.jpg

I figured it must've found some bug spray or something caustic to melt it like that. Inside she also had 3 (out of 4) different voltage NiMH batts and it still lit up! We were originally going to send it back, but there doesn't seem to be anything "broken". Cool eh?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Products with Deet will cause that sort of thing. It is great that it still works. Having dealt with Streamlight's CS before, I bet they would replace it for you.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Yep, looks like Deet-induced damage, back when i was a child, i would slather on the Bens 100 (100% Deet) and grab the old Black and Decker Spotliter and go down to our pond for some night bass fishing

the Deet melted the Spotliter's handle and ate away the "Spotliter" logo on the handle, the damage was very similar to what you see in your pic

sadly, Bens 100 is the only stuff that works on our farm, Maine Mosquitoes (Maine's state bird ;) ) are the size of small Cessnas and can find the tiniest spot of unprotected skin/clothing

JimmyME

Newly Enlightened
Dang MacTech, where do you live, in a swamp?

100% DEET is some strong stuff!

You can keep those skeeters down your way, I live in the County and don't need 100% to repel these birds. Gasoline works much better! hehe

Yep, looks like Deet-induced damage, back when i was a child, i would slather on the Bens 100 (100% Deet) and grab the old Black and Decker Spotliter and go down to our pond for some night bass fishing

the Deet melted the Spotliter's handle and ate away the "Spotliter" logo on the handle, the damage was very similar to what you see in your pic

sadly, Bens 100 is the only stuff that works on our farm, Maine Mosquitoes (Maine's state bird ;) ) are the size of small Cessnas and can find the tiniest spot of unprotected skin/clothing

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
MacTech, bet you also learned that deet is really bad for monofiliment fishing line. That is how you lost that 12lb'er, isn't it?

Sarratt

Enlightened
Since we're deet-ing .... watch the watches .... Timex Indiglo type watches.
They don't immediately melt but with 95% deet the buttons first get mushy then after a week they freeze

Back on topic .... I thought you said she was poking a fire with it ?
Neat pictures though

Thanks

Last edited:

Sarratt

Enlightened
MacTech, bet you also learned that deet is really bad for monofiliment fishing line. That is how you lost that 12lb'er, isn't it?

Not just MacTech !! I've lost several 12 (even 14 ) lb'ders because of deet

Yup !.... Deet .... d'ats my story.

Plus I had this one trout ..... but another story , another time.

Danitex : do you have more pics ?

Last edited:

Danintex

Enlightened
Hmmm... didn't realize bug spray was that kind of a monster. Mostly my experience is limited to solvents and gun cleaner. I am a new convert to OFF! though- there's skeeters everywhere in TX now. Sarratt- what kind of pics?

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Thanks for that tip about deet spray and ProPoly lights. I feel fortunate that we don't have many mosquitos here in Okla. Been years since I've bothered with bug sprays.

Amazing that it does that to a plastic light, what is it doing to your skin? eek!

DM51

Flashaholic
Amazing that it does that to a plastic light, what is it doing to your skin? eek!
LOL. Some women are very particular about the right cream, make-up, moisturiser etc for their skin, and won't hear of using anything but the finest products. But the minute an insect appears they pour on the deet, which is one of the most corrosive and aggressive solvents there is.