Novatac Bezel ring - Strange readings...

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've just finished some beamshots with my NovaTac 120P and also took some light output readings with my DIY lightbox.

The lightbox seems to work well and the results are repeatable.

I was interested to see if I could measure the difference between the stock Polycarbonate lens and a UCL Lens.

The difference seems to be measurable but also the black/dark stock bezel seems to effect the output???

Poly Lens and Stock Bezel - 198
Poly Lens and Ti Bezel - 208
UCL and Stock Bezel - 207
UCL and Ti Bezel - 215
No Lens or Bezel - 231

I was careful to keep the flashlight in the exact same position between tests. Anyone know why the bezel ring would effect the light output?

Regards,

Terry

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... Are the dimensions the same for the Ti and stock bezel ring? If yes, then it's the color that affects the readings, white color reflects most of the light, black absorbs light. Ti metal is much more reflective than the dark stock bezel ring. But that's only my guess...

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
Interesting... Are the dimensions the same for the Ti and stock bezel ring? If yes, then it's the color that affects the readings, white color reflects most of the light, black absorbs light. Ti metal is much more reflective than the dark stock bezel ring. But that's only my guess...

The dimensions are almost identical and in both cases the internal section of the bezel ring sits just outside the reflectors edge.

I too was guessing it something to do with the colour.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Very interesting finding. Perhaps some of the light will reflect off the shiny ti bezel?

BBL

Enlightened
Any light that hits the bezel is either absorbed or reflected. On the dark bezel, more light is absorbed. I'm quite sure thats the reason for difference in output.

Very interesting numbers btw.

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
Similar discussion started here. I placed the stock black Novatac bezel on my HDS and a longer stainless bezel on my Novatac here. Beamshots reveal a narrower spill area with the longer bezel. I'm can't be sure how much is attributed to the reflectors until I do some further testing. I'm going to do some experimentation this weekend to see how much the longer bezel affects the width of the beam. Unfortunately, I don't have a light meter to test the impact the color of the bezel has on the output, but I wanted to point out that the longer bezel may be affecting not only the quantity of light, but also the shape of the beam. -SMC

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sure a longer bezel affects the beam shape. I have a really tall SS bezel by RPM and it gives a really narrow beam infact it even brightens the hot spot in that it almost create an extension to the reflector.

I think the Ano on the stock Al Novatac bezel is absorbing the light instead of reflecting it and letting it escape.

Here's another thing to try out. If you have Ti bezel try giving it a good rub with some steel wool you'll see it lighten up. Take a before and after reading it should change.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
eltel999: when you insert the Ti Bezel, is there a chance that speckles of light fall over the light meter sensor?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the Novatac Bezel made of? It is heavier than a McGizmo Ti. Early reports suggested aluminum. But it must be steel.

OT: the entire Novatac light is 9 g heavier than my HDS. Maybe its because there is more spring material.

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
eltel999: when you insert the Ti Bezel, is there a chance that speckles of light fall over the light meter sensor?

I don't think this is happening, the position of the flashlight where it enters my light box, and the position of the sensor should minimise this.

I've repeated another test with the stock lens and my Ti bezel painted black :huh: (I've already restored it to it's former beauty). The result was a reading of 200, so basically the same as the stock set-up.

I can only assume that as mentioned in an earlier post, it is the black surface absorbing the light energy rather than reflecting it.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Regards,

Terry

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey you think you could fit a typical optic in there and run the test again? I've always wondered about the true efficency of a "Total" internal reflector. I'll mail you a couple if you need em.

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
Hey you think you could fit a typical optic in there and run the test again? I've always wondered about the true efficency of a "Total" internal reflector. I'll mail you a couple if you need em.

Not sure what you mean by a typical optic (i'm still a newbie), but sure I'm happy to run some more tests.

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
Well I really meant any of the so called TIR optics. Looks like this:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/PhotonFanatic/Optic20mmTilted.jpg

I just now see you are in the UK so I retract my offer of sending you an optic. Sorry. :oops:

No probs...

I've got some TIR lenses for Cree XR-E emitters. I could compare them in a Cree light against a similar polished aluminium reflector if your interested? Let me know.

I'm currently doing numerous runtime tests for my NovaTac 120P, but should be finished soon. I need my bed :sleepy:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
No probs...

I've got some TIR lenses for Cree XR-E emitters. I could compare them in a Cree light against a similar polished aluminium reflector if your interested? Let me know...
Yes that would be great. Do you have a picture of your lightbox setup?