What is so great about these Novatacs?

Budman231

Enlightened
They are pretty good looking EDC lights, but they also cost plenty.

What makes these lights worth $110-$150 ? :shrug:

Are these that much better than a $55 Fenix P2D-CE ?

By looking at the specs they are not even as bright as the Fenix.

Is it build quality ?

Opinions from those that have them ...?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is so great about these Novatech?

Well yes it is build quality. it is not even in the same league as the fenix.
One thing you are paying for is a completely simple and flexible user interface. You get to set these up exactly as you want them.
The Novatac is unlikely to let you down. it is designed to maintain light out the front for as long as possible...if necessary.
They are evolution of several past works.
What makes them worth the price? Quality, Flexibility, a 14 page manual.
The quality of the beam is very good.
Quite frankly the novatak may not be right for everybody. It depends on what your needs are. It also depends on what you want in a light.
Yaesumofo

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
I think you must really handle one to appreciate them or the hds light. They aren't cheap, but they aren't "cheap" lights either. Granted the novatac is not yet proven, but first impressions are good.

They really are as bright as the fenix, as they are rated by torch lumens not emitter lumens.

Build quality and durability are excellent. Take a p2d-ce and chuck against the concrete a few dozen times like the edc at the shot show and report on its usability.

They can use an rcr123a and all your levels still work just like they would with a primary.

They have a "real" low setting which some people like. The 10 or so lumens some call low is way to bright for me. The programmable version can go to as low as .08. The standard models are set at .3.

The programmable model gives you the ability to change levels to how you want them. Some want max brightness first, and other like to start lower. You can have it just how you want it. It's a nonlinear selection from primary down. You can go to any other of the three levels without cycling through another level.

I have the 120P and a b42. The 120P is probably the last led I'll buy this year unless some kinda of off the chart efficient emitter shows up in a new light. This one will cover all tasks for a long time.

Supernam

Enlightened
YES, they ARE that much better than fenix. I bought the P2D and came to fall in love with it. But when my Novatac 120T came in yesterday, I dumped the Fenix and married the Novatac. Beautiful finish and knurling, WAYYYYY better switch, amazing output, all in one user interface- no need for 2 hand operation to switch modes. Once you buy Novatac, you start asking, "What's so great about Surefire?" A Mitsubishi Evo is just as fast or even faster than a BMW M3, but can we even compare them?

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
the light chucked to the concrete at the shot show was "pummeled" which was the nickname given to an HDS EDC not a Novatac light.

Henry did mention that he was not in charge of Novatacs manufacturing process of this new EDC line.

hopefully the Novatacs are just a tough, but this will have to be proven.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a lighter note, because Novatac seems to have gotten it right I expect there will soon be a flood of HDS lights hitting the market. Personally I have 2
HDS U60GT and am having a hard time justifying keeping both of them since my Novatac 120P as mentioned kicks but!!!!!!!!!

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
My Novatac 85P came in the mail today. It took a few minutes of reading and fiddling to become familiar with the UI, but once you understand it is great!! The beam is creamy white and very smooth. IMHO the build quality is very impressive. Once you have a Novatac in your hands and become familiar with it I think your question will be answered!! :twothumbs

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a LOT of lights that are way more expensive than the Novatac. Even the predecessor - HDS - was more expensive. But IMO the Novatac has at this point in time the most advanced UI of any flashlight in the world as well as some other features that put it in a league of it's own. And extreme ruggedness and very high quality. I think it's a great deal at this price. Try one and if you don't like it I'm positive you won't have any trouble selling it - but my guess is you won't want to let go of it once you have one.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a lighter note, because Novatac seems to have gotten it right I expect there will soon be a flood of HDS lights hitting the market. Personally I have 2
HDS U60GT and am having a hard time justifying keeping both of them since my Novatac 120P as mentioned kicks but!!!!!!!!!

I actually don't see that happening. I'd give up a dozen other lights before giving up an HDS. I'd rather keep the cream of the crop and have a couple top of the line lights than one top of the line and a bunch of bottom drawer stuff. The HDS is very moddable and has such a great UI that any LED coming out in the future may be lucky to find itself in such a great body with such quality and electronics. NO PWM or problems with rechargeable batteries or any of the other pitfalls you find in cheaper lights that are now just getting multi-function UI's.

boosterboy

Enlightened
If you only judged cars on fast they can go, you would ignore a lot of other features like reliability, luxury, ergonomics, handling, build quality, etc. Yeah sure, a Ford Focus and Nissan 350z can both reach blah blah miles per hour, but they are totally different cars.

Same with flashlight, if you're only looking for brightness/overall output, the Fenix will suit your needs, if you're looking for a light that can survive the-end-of-the-world-Rosie-O-Donell-is-president-of-the-US situations, the Novatac might suit your needs.

build quality
survivability
thermal protection
honest lumen claims
form factor
switch design
wide voltage range tolerance
reverse polarity protection
practical features
practical lumen settings

cslinger

Enlightened
As a simple solid lighting instrument the Fenix offerings are great and the P2D I think is one of the best offerings. I like the UI in the Fenix, the brightness is excellent and the build is decent.

HDS lights are just so much more in terms of build quality and UI. For me the HDS lights are the best most versatile lights out their period. If I could only own two lights it would be a Surefire A2 and a HDS, if I could only own one it would be an HDS without batting an eye.

I say HDS because I have yet to try the Novatac offerings but that will be rectified as I have a Novatac 85P and a 120T on the way. This mimics my current HDS setup which is an ultimate 42 and a Basic 60LE.

It looks like Novatac has done a good job. Yes, they cut a few corners here and there and yes they won't have the hand built feel of the HDS lights but they really seem to have done an admirable job of taking a great light, turning main stream, improving it and mass producing it and I cannot wait to see.

For me the HDS/Novatac lights simply eclipse the Surefire L1 in every way even without the current teething issues the new L1 is having and this is coming from a Surefire fan.

So in short the Fenix lights are excellent lights for the money but the HDS and likely the Novatac lights are simply better and when you consider the price of an 85 being $110 you really are getting a lot of American made product for your dollar.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I'm a new NovaTac owner. I always had the HDS on my must have list, but figured that my various Surfire, Gladius Night Ops, JetBeam and Fenix lights could hold me over until the NovaTac became available. Well, it turns out that the NovaTax is the Holy Grail light I've been looking for.

Budman231

Enlightened
Guys I really appreciate your insight on this... I've considered spending that kind of money on a light before but it's hard considering i don't beat the crap out of my P2D. It still looks brand new after 6 mos. I'd really like to physically see one before I plunked down that kind of cash...

Anyway thanks for your opinions.

cslinger

Enlightened
I don't want to minimize how good the EDC lights are because they are incredibly well thought out tools but the fact is the Fenix P2D is an uber light for 99% of the population and plenty good for an everyday carry lighting tool.

The EDC lights are better suited to those who abuse the lights more and or need the light to work every time all the time no questions asked.

I tend to like tools and look at things like lights, guns, knives etc. as industrial works of art so to speak, so I appreciate the EDC lights as much for their use as I do for certain intangibles that impress me. At the end of the day however, if I just needed a decent lighting instrument to carry everyday I wouldn't and haven't hesitated to carry a Fenix P2D.

The 85 series of lights, however, for $110 are approaching a level quality and innovation for the dollar that is mighty good.

FASTCAR

Banned
WARNING WARNING ***Do not read this if your brand loyal and hung up on high prices.You know who you are.FASTCAR is not "P.C."

Time for yet another rant..shooting from the hip.

I.M.O. It is not worth 150$.
I did not think the first EDC was worth 200-300 either.

Are they a decent light overall..yes.

These lights break as much or more then other lights that cost less.You pay for the name.

Spring falls out, clip sucks ect ect.

I am not saying it is junk.It is a decent little light.The Amilite T5 is as well made,bright and has high/low.Some CPFers get hung up on having the latest gadget.There is no real use for having 20+ lights.I see no reason for more then 2-3 stages.Some have 10-30+..this is silly.My car has 2 stages..and thats fine.

Question : why does this light cost 150 bucks?
Answer :Because CPF people will pay that much.

Same reason girls pay $1000-5000 for a handbag.
Are these bags better then a good quality leather bag for 75$...no

Question : is this light worth it ? is it better then a 55$ light?
Answer :IMO no At the basic level a lights job is to...light.
When you drop your car key in the grass..will a 150-300+$ light help you find it faster then a 55$ model..no.

As for quality (IMO) there is 3 levels from what I have tested.

#1 DX type crapola
#2 Fenix and others ( good enough for 99.999999% of tasks)
#3 Wolf Eyes, Surefire, HDS,Deree and others.
As for #3 you pay a bit more for a tad more quality ( over kill mostly).
That said some of the #3 are not that pricey..and some a total ripoff ( IMO)

The other problem with non modular lights is :every month a new LED comes out.You spend 150-300$ for lights like this.2 months later your pissed off its not the best..100s wind up in the FOR SALE area.

****This is in no way a flame VS any 1 person.First poster asked for honest opinions.This is mine.I am not just against this light, but many WAY over-priced lights.

Yep I said it.
My 2 cents

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL....... I do enjoy your non-PC style FASTCAR! And, while this light may not be worth $150 to you (or even the paltry entry level $110) ... it certainly seems to be a fair price to me, especially given what you get for your money. Simply put... the BEST pocket light on the planet earth.

I like the clip... it works very well for me thankyou. The spring is bit odd, but I've already found a way to easily deal with that (just unwound the middle a tiny bit and it stays securely in place).

Is it a perfect light? No. I kind of wish the level adjustment was a single step up or down rather than cycling quickly thru them... but hey, I'll bet they get that dialed in next time. But the fact that I can set up the light exactly how I want it... is just so cool.... and useful.

Overall.... the is by far the best light I have. Time will tell as to how well it stands up to kind of daily abuse it is bound to encounter, but it sure seems to be a sturdy little sucker.

Anyway... I like it.... a LOT, and feel it is an incredible value. I think you are really missing out by not getting one of these. BTW, I'm looking forward to your evaluation of the Deerelight 2.0.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some days I tend to agree when my wallet is not cooperating. I honestly would have to say that on a day to day basis I do not notice the differences between my "higher end" lights and my more "affordable" lights. I carry my EDC in my pocket by itself and I do not use it in a job where they would be banged around etc. Is there a higher chance that my Fenix might fail me vs my HDS? Maybe...but again I am not in situations where having a light is crucial. Having said that if I were to go into a situation where a reliable light is a must would I take my HDS over my Fenix? Again maybe...but only because of what I have read here and not because of any first hand experience of reliablity. Yes there is a "pummeled" HDS that still lights but there was also a Fenix dropped down an elevator shaft 17 floors that still functioned as well. Bottome line for me is that I have fun collecting, using and playing with flashlights and the costs of doing that come with the hobby. I could scrutinize every product I buy and find another brand that does the same thing only cheaper but I don't...maybe I should?:shrug:

WARNING WARNING ***Do not read this if your brand loyal and hung up on high prices.You know who you are.FASTCAR is not "P.C."

Time for yet another rant..shooting from the hip.

I.M.O. It is not worth 150$.
I did not think the first EDC was worth 200-300 either.

Are they a decent light overall..yes.

These lights break as much or more then other lights that cost less.You pay for the name.

Spring falls out, clip sucks ect ect.

I am not saying it is junk.It is a decent little light.The Amilite T5 is as well made,bright and has high/low.Some CPFers get hung up on having the latest gadget.There is no real use for having 20+ lights.I see no reason for more then 2-3 stages.Some have 10-30+..this is silly.My car has 2 stages..and thats fine.

Question : why does this light cost 150 bucks?
Answer :Because CPF people will pay that much.

Same reason girls pay $1000-5000 for a handbag.
Are these bags better then a good quality leather bag for 75$...no

Question : is this light worth it ? is it better then a 55$ light?
Answer :IMO no At the basic level a lights job is to...light.
When you drop your car key in the grass..will a 150-300+$ light help you find it faster then a 55$ model..no.

As for quality (IMO) there is 3 levels from what I have tested.

#1 DX type crapola
#2 Fenix and others ( good enough for 99.999999% of tasks)
#3 Wolf Eyes, Surefire, HDS,Deree and others.
As for #3 you pay a bit more for a tad more quality ( over kill mostly).
That said some of the #3 are not that pricey..and some a total ripoff ( IMO)

The other problem with non modular lights is :every month a new LED comes out.You spend 150-300$ for lights like this.2 months later your pissed off its not the best..100s wind up in the FOR SALE area.

****This is in no way a flame VS any 1 person.First poster asked for honest opinions.This is mine.I am not just against this light, but many WAY over-priced lights.

Yep I said it.
My 2 cents

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my first Fenix--a P2D CE and it had to go back to the dealer a couple weeks after I got it. Neat little light before it started to malfunction. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Surefires haven't exactly got a track record of flawless function either.

My EDC 60 has gone underwater with me on a few occasions, and out into the field on others. Nothing too extreme, but it works and I can only hope the Novatac will do the same.

FASTCAR

Banned
Hi double D :wave:

I do own a new 120p.

I will review the deree light when it gets here.I must say in advance the 60$ pricetag for :q2,HAiii,A/R glass ect ect sound great.

I bet if the D*reelight was named E*C or S*refire it would cost 300 bucks or more.

Last edited: