Sick of strike bezels?

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone besides me sick of "strike bezels?" I have holes in a couple of pairs of BDU's and shorts from flashlights with rather sharp strike bezels. I understand why it's done, but man, I am sick of the things. I am now taping over the ends to take the bite out of the end.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any strike bezel flashlights, but have recently been thinking of getting a Sure-Fire 6PD for work because of the strike bezel and clicky switch. Gives me an extra impact device within reach should it come to that. I was thinking of putting the switch and head on a Z2 body for the weight reduction and grip ring, but decided I would probably prefer the extra mass of the 6PD body for the extra heatsinking ability. And the Z2 body would not fit in my Sure-Fire holster anyways. I have a V20 holster and do prefer the nylon ones.

I don't think I would want a strike bezel light for pocket carry, especially not one like the E2D with the strike bezel at both ends.. I might want to replace that with a regular clicky switch and keep the strike bezel on the head, otherwise I would just carry that in a holster too.

Last edited:

HotWheels

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a G&P strike bezel when I bought my SF 9P. It comes with a lens and adapter ring,plus I still have the regular bezel if I want it. I'm happy with it,although I doubt (and hope I don't) ever use it.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most "aggressive" lights that I own only have mild scalloped bezels. I am not a big fan of the strike bezel, and have passed on lights that have them.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone besides me sick of "strike bezels?" I have holes in a couple of pairs of BDU's and shorts from flashlights with rather sharp strike bezels. I understand why it's done, but man, I am sick of the things. I am now taping over the ends to take the bite out of the end.

Maybe strike bezels have some utility for LEOs and Special Forces Operators - I don't know if those professions favor them or not.

Strike bezels look to me to be ideal equipment for the Chairborne Commandos and SWAT Team Wannabes who frequent CPF.

If you injure someone with a Strike bezel - as opposed to injuring someone a plain bezel flashlight - you may find yourself in hot water with the law in some jurisdictions.

Cops and prosecutors in some areas may view your strike bezel light as an 'offensive weapon' - akin to a push dagger, brass knucks, or a blackjack.

Even if you were justified in defending yourself, the fact that you used an 'offensive weapon' to defend yourself can muddy the waters.

A plain bezel flashlight will work nearly as well as a strike bezel for defense, won't wear holes in your clothes, and won't cause you as many legal problems if you have to smack someone with it.

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Maybe strike bezels have some utility for LEOs and Special Forces Operators - I don't know if those professions favor them or not.

Strike bezels look to me to be ideal equipment for the Chairborne Commandos and SWAT Team Wannabes who frequent CPF.

If you injure someone with a Strike bezel - as opposed to injuring someone a plain bezel flashlight - you may find yourself in hot water with the law in some jurisdictions.

Cops and prosecutors in some areas may view your strike bezel light as an 'offensive weapon' - akin to a push dagger, brass knucks, or a blackjack.

Even if you were justified in defending yourself, the fact that you used an 'offensive weapon' to defend yourself can muddy the waters.

A plain bezel flashlight will work nearly as well as a strike bezel for defense, won't wear holes in your clothes, and won't cause you as many legal problems if you have to smack someone with it.

This is gonna turn into one of those flashlights as a self defense weapon threads...

Anyway, if you live in America you probably won't get much heat for having a flashlight with a strike bezel. In some states it's quite common for people to carry handguns in their cars in case of "emergencies." If people can use handguns in self defense, I'm pretty sure they can get away with a strike bezel... which can hardly be argued as an offensive weapon imo.

In some cold states, whacking someone with a flashlight when they have a few layers of coats on might be pretty ineffective when they're attacking you... the extra half an inch of protruding metal might be able to get through.

As they say... I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought they were there also to protect the lens.and to let you know if the light is on when placed bezel down on a table.in reallity any flashlight could be turned into a kubaton for defence IMO.

mchlwise

Enlightened

Haven't seen too many "mall ninjas" around here, but it does seem like something they would appreciate.

If I were an LEO or someone who was frequently in "close contact" with people, and I carried a flashlight in a holster on my belt, I could see how they would be interesting.

Since I'm not, I don't own any.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Had a strike bezel on a second hand light I purchased and I've ordered a smooth bezel to replace it. It looks nice, but I have no need and I agree that in my case it is just poking holes in my pocket. If I need to strike someone and do damage I will probably use my fist rather than my custom made pocket rocket. Cheers to those who desire to carry the strike though. They are likely not the ones causing trouble on the streets but rather more likely the ones that are trying to defend themselves and their loved ones from the creeps.

Ken

MikeM

Newly Enlightened
Some of my work torches have strike bezels,but I find regular bezels easier for pocket carry.

Mike

bigkahunasix

Newly Enlightened
All three of my EDC lights (E2D, 6P and X5) have strikes (no, I do not carry them all at once.) any cause me no trouble. If you don't want holes in your pockets, get a proper holster for belt carry. No problem.

Bigk6

Worklight

Newly Enlightened
Strike Bezels offer a nice extra protection when working security, if your attacked you are allowed to defend, atleast here in Norway, with equal force of the attacker, or whats needed to stop the attacker/perp.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, if you live in America you probably won't get much heat for having a flashlight with a strike bezel. In some states it's quite common for people to carry handguns in their cars in case of "emergencies." If people can use handguns in self defense, I'm pretty sure they can get away with a strike bezel... which can hardly be argued as an offensive weapon imo.

America is a place with many legal jurisdicitions with widely varying laws and interpretations of law.

There are places where you can lawfully carry a handgun in your pocket, but carrying an 'offensive' weapon such as a blackjack in your pocket is unlawful. Silly, but the law is often an ***.

There are also jurisdictions where the definition of what constitutes an 'offensive' weapon is purposely ambiguous, which allows prosecutors considerable latitude.

If you injure someone and escape being prosecuted in criminal court, you may still be sued by the injured party in civil court. You might end up trying to explain to an unsympathetic jury exactly why you were carrying a flashlight equipped with a menacing-looking, sharp-edged, strike bezel with which you injured the poor plantiff.

As they say... I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Of course.

Consider whether the questionable utility of a strike bezel outweighs its known liabilities, then decide for yourself.

For similar reasons, my forty-five pistol is loaded with standard 230 grain ball ammo.

If, God forbid, I ever have to shoot someone in self defense, I don't want to end up explaining to a jury why my pistol was loaded with "Hyper-Velocity Super-Expanding Manstopper" ammo.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Consider whether the questionable utility of a strike bezel outweighs its known liabilities, then decide for yourself.

I've got Kiu's SS and AL strike bezels on a couple of mags, one on a 6C now. Like many here, I like the aggressive look of them, plain and simple. It's just the way I am. Still, they're not carried often, my pockets are safe. Don't really concern myself with the liabilities. See below.

For similar reasons, my forty-five pistol is loaded with standard 230 grain ball ammo.

If, God forbid, I ever have to shoot someone in self defense, I don't want to end up explaining to a jury why my pistol was loaded with "Hyper-Velocity Super-Expanding Manstopper" ammo.

RZ, I respect your point of view. But....

Don't have a 45, but if I did, it'd be loaded with potent rounds. Don't see the point in carrying "target" ammo. I have a wife and kids to protect/get home to. That's why, at this time, my .357 has either Feds' "Hydra-Shock" or Wins' "Black Talon" (voluntarily pulled by Winchester many years ago due to "bad press"). I'm not going to take the time to aim for a big toe in the hope that all ends well and I don't get sued because I was nice. Once a trigger is pulled, it's going to get ugly regardless. IMO, "Manstopper" is the point here.

Where I live just about any form of "self-defense" is not allowed for the average Joe to protect himself/family. That's ridiculous. I intend to defend, so I stear clear of trouble, and carry myself in a respectful manner regarding LEOs (plenty familiar with them). If the need arises, I'll be happy to explain what "family" means to me.

BOT..
RZ, IIRC you like the 2C form factor....
000_1798.jpg

Feel free to call me a "Chairborne Commando", I like my "Killer Bezels".

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a fan of strike bezels, but do like scalloped bezels as it allows you to see if the light has been left on whilst face down. Sometimes scalloped/strike are sold as one and the same.

luminata

Enlightened
Hi Ringzero,

It would be easy to explain expanding hollowpoints to a jury

_hardball ammo can exit thru the back of the intended target and any structure behind it, say a wall in a house and hit an innocent bystander.

_hollowpoint ammo , does indeed expand inside the target and create more damage but expends its energy in the target and thus the chance of a "pass thru" is greatly diminished. The Frangible bullet also misrepresented by the media was designed with the same reasoning to an even further extent.

Last edited:

quokked

Enlightened

:shrug: meh there are a lot of SWAT team wannabes but some of the stories related to strike bezels out there are pretty good.

On the SF Website there's a collection
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=6&sku=E2D-BK
My favourite one i've seen is

Defender Foils "Dognapping"

Where the guy uses a Strike Bezel to break open the back of a car window (not sure how true it is)