Surefire 6P 120lu (incan) or Novatac 120 (LED)?

xiaowenzu

Banned
Alright I must admit I'm feeling nostalgic with incandescents lately, and I'm deciding whether I should purchase a Surefire 6P (120Lu incan) or Novatac 120 T?

1. I know that incan still beats LED in colour rendition, and that's something LEDs still can't match, even today. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards SF 6P

2. I'm aware that LEDs run longer, and I know all about the Novatac and Surefire toughness - they are some of the best lights ever constructed.

BUT My question is WILL the SF 6P be BRIGHTER and throw Farther than the Novatac 120T? :confused: :confused:I have no idea about that, and I'd appreciated if somebody can enlighten me.... because this info would be crucial to make my decision which light I'm gonna buy. :paypal:Thanks in advance fellow flasholics! :wave:

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that rechargeables is the way to go for high lumen incan bulbs.
I don't really have much use for LED's for serious use, I always have access to a charger or more batteries.
LED's are good for navigating around the house at night or on the keychain.
I never seem to blow bulbs under normal useage, but I have had LED's fry or go to crap before.
I don't really like complicated programmable lights either.
Runtime is nice in natural disaster/survival type situations.

They both have their nitch, I say get both which is the best advice you will get. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
From the facts alone - larger reflector and incan - i would say the 6P / P61 throws significantly further than the 120T.

At least for the first 10 minutes.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
From the facts alone - larger reflector and incan - i would say the 6P / P61 throws significantly further than the 120T.

At least for the first 10 minutes.

I would not be so sure of that, the seoul led I have in my SF C2 throws much better than my P61

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Personally i couldn't live with the 20 min runtime.

I don't have an incan that runs on a 6V LA anymore. My Sniper runs the 9V WE LA on 2 x RCR123's. I just don't think the output or beam characteristics of the 6V or even the 3.7V LA (of which i use both) is good enough to beat my Defender II, and then add to that the run time i much prefer use a 9V body for my Incan and the 6V bodies with LED's.

xiaowenzu

Banned
Personally i couldn't live with the 20 min runtime.
Yep, I'm aware of the short run times with incand, but I'm just wondering if the SF 6P + P61 lamp shoots further or brighter than the Novatac. :confused:

I guess I'll probably have to buy both to find out!! :naughty:heheh, just my excuse to go on a well deserved spending spree - I've got wads of cash saved up from skipping cheap light purchases . teehehe ;-P

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Sorry xiaowenzu, i didn't really explain myself very well, i was trying to say that rather than get the SF 6P, why not look at a 9 series so you don't have to sacrifice quite as much runtime and can get as much output if not more

xiaowenzu

Banned
why not look at a 9 series so you don't have to sacrifice quite as much runtime and can get as much output if not more
I think that's a bit bigger than what I'd want, though I might be tempted by the runtime, hehe :naughty:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.... I think I might have an answer that will actually give you the best of both worlds.

Buy the Surefire 6P with a P61 bulb.... AND ...... get one of the many available Cree or Seoul LED drop-ins. I've actually been considering that very option myself lately, as the only incandescent I own is my old 3D mag, and I would very much like to see what a 'real' one is like.

OR.... option B: Get the Novatac 85P (almost as bright as the 120 and still has all the cool programmable functions), and put an ad up on B/S/T for a good used Surefire 6P with a 61P bulb. That should end up costing about the same as the Novatac 120P.

But, I'm a bit biased as I just got the 120P, and I'm still in the 'Pink Cloud' phase.. you know.... thinking it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, ha.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick non scientific test outside:

My P61 equipped G2Z smokes my 120T in both output and throw.

You do sacrifice runtime and the diminishing output issues that an incan has, BUT you gain the greater light output and intensity, especially around ambient light sources (i.e. street lights).

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
Quick non scientific test outside:

My P61 equipped G2Z smokes my 120T in both output and throw.

You do sacrifice runtime and the diminishing output issues that an incan has, BUT you gain the greater light output and intensity, especially around ambient light sources (i.e. street lights).

Now that's what I'm talking about! 6P here I come!! :paypal: heheh, thanks dano, I had a feeling that the P61 has still got what it takes to beat the latest LED... and I'm sure the colour rendition of objects shall light up better with it. Don't ya just love the incans? ;-):nana:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go like KeeperSD said. Since you are comparing between a novatec which is around 150$, a 3-cell incan would be better suited with more lumen count combined with much better runtime.....