Pelicans anyone ?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little curious. Everyone discuss's the surefire's, streamlight's and a few others.
I don't see much talk about the Pelican line. I might be interested in one as a replacement for the SUREFIRE 8NX and B-90's THAT WON'T HOLD A CHARGE

any opinions on the Pelican line ?

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Hmmmm... I'm not aware of a Pelican rechargeable that's comparable in size to the SF 8NX, or perhaps someone can correct me on this. (I've had a 50/50 hit & miss with the B90's, but I'm more partial to the SF line anyway) - I do know that Pelican makes one of the more high quality headlamps available on the market today - I prefer the HL2660... definitely great craftsmanship, quality, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Speaking of which... anyone have their hot little hands on a Pelican M6 yet? It's rated (advertised) at 108Lu. Any thoughts on this?

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Forgot to mention... they also make the best darn watertight cases around - but that's gettin' a bit off topic, sorry... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 of the M6 on order.
supposed to be as bright as the 8NX using 2 DL123's and still have one hour run time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif . If true it should be an awsome light

arioch

Enlightened
I have the Pelican M7, which is the rechargeable version of the Magnum 2aa (I also have the Magnum 2aa). I also have a 4c cell M10, which is the non rechargeable version of the M11. None of these lights are very impressive, particularly against the comparable offerings of Streamlight and Surefire.

In terms of size, the M9 rechargeable is a 3c sized light, and appears to be similar in size (perhaps a little larger) to the SL Stinger. I don't have one, but all of the M series of lights seem to share the Pelican Xenon Laser Spot, which is a very fine, sharp beam with dim spill light. Prefocused, it does not allow for adjustment.

The new M6 looks to be another type of light more in line with Surefire's style. You can find more info on this light at pelican.com .

Pelican does make sturdy, reliable lights, and some others do enjoy the slim pencil thin beams those lights produce. As with most everything else, it is a matter of personal preference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican: great cases, bad rechargeable lights. I have had one rechargeable, and it was a disaster. In short the beam (in comparison) wasn't that good, and the light itself (switch, charger, etc) didn't work correctly a good part of the time.

-Mike

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have StealthLite and a Super SabreLite.

One of my StealthLites travels with me for backup or dedicated underwater tasks.

Al

Larry1582

Enlightened
I have the M7, M9, and rechargeable Stealthlite. I like the M9 better than the Polystinger I have for duty belt carry. It is a heavier and more solid feeling light. I have never had any trouble out of the M9. The M7 is a nice smaller rechargeable light, but I have not used it too much. I don't really like the rechargeable Stealthlite very much. I don't like the switch and shape of the light.
For a full-size light I prefer the Streamlight SL20-XP since we are not allowed to carry the metal lights.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Larry1582 said:
I have the M7, M9, and rechargeable Stealthlite. I like the M9 better than the Polystinger I have for duty belt carry. It is a heavier and more solid feeling light. I have never had any trouble out of the M9. The M7 is a nice smaller rechargeable light, but I have not used it too much. I don't really like the rechargeable Stealthlite very much. I don't like the switch and shape of the light.
For a full-size light I prefer the Streamlight SL20-XP since we are not allowed to carry the metal lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry,

Aside from the better heft and general feel of the M9, how would you compare its beam and runtime to the Stinger/Polystinger?

Brightnorm