Surefire E Series LOTC Rubber Boots...

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have worn and weary Surefire E2O that needs a new rubber boot for the tailcap. I don't want one of the Z57 clickies from Surefire, so I would like to find a replacement boot and repair it myself. Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement boot? Will the one that the Sandwich Shoppe sells for the Aleph tailcaps work?

Is it easy to disassemble the E series LOTCs?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Have you called Surefire's Customer service? There's a lifetime warranty, and many manufacturers find it easier to mail little parts out gratis rather than to sell them or deal with a returned flash. You might want to ask for spare o-rings while you're at it :)

Maglite was this way when I called about a corroded tailspring.

Last edited:

matthewdanger

Enlightened
That's the problem. I don't want a Z57 which is all they have available for the E series these days... unless I can scavange the boot off of the Z57. Are the LOTC boots and the Z57 boots interchangable?

labrat

Enlightened
That's the problem. I don't want a Z57 which is all they have available for the E series these days... unless I can scavange the boot off of the Z57. Are the LOTC boots and the Z57 boots interchangable?

You can use the LOTC boot-caps from the Shoppee in the Surefire z57, but they are a little bit smaller in diameter, and a little thicker.
The will fit, but they do not go all the way out to fill into the inside groove of the cap, below the locking-nut.
So you might compromise the water-proof sealing a little.
But using some silicone grease and some caution when you install them, should do the trick.
Dissamblying the z57 is not very difficult, you need a plier or a tool to unscrew the locking-nut.
But if you are having problems with your Surefire tailcap, why not just get a complete McTc tailcap with the McClicky switch, and replace your tailcap completely?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
But if you are having problems with your Surefire tailcap, why not just get a complete McTc tailcap with the McClicky switch, and replace your tailcap completely?

I may be headed the direction here shortly. I do love my LOTCs but the McTc and McClicky is as good as it gets for clickies.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know of a boot that fits properly? Can the boot from the Z57 work?

labrat

Enlightened
My McTc's with the McClicky switch do function as LOTC tailcaps from Surefire.
1/2 to a whole turn out, and the switch does not turn on the light when you click it.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Thanks, I know. I just generally prefer non-clickie LOTCs. I think I am going to go ahead and order a McTC when I get home this evening. I could use some fresh o-rings as well. Looks like its Lighthound to the rescue!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Note that wearing out the rubber switch buttons (wearing down the knurls on the TailCap rubber switch boot, wearing through the rubber of the tape pressure switch etc) is not covered by 'if it breaks, SureFire will fix it' - this is because the rubber is intended to be grippy and will therefore wear - it is a consumable part just like the tyres of a motor vehicle.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Thanks Size15s. If they are a consumable, does that mean I can purchase a replacement boot from Surefire?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks Size15s. If they are a consumable, does that mean I can purchase a replacement boot from Surefire?
You can purchase a replacement TailCap - the Z57.
I understand that the TailCap you want is the Z52 which has been discontinued.
There may well be SureFire Dealers with some in stock if you look hard enough.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are absolutely right, sorta. I wish some of the rabid SF bashers would read this...

My experience is that even though it is obviously a "wear part," Surefire has gladly replaced a couple for me when they've just plain worn out.

It is a stand-up company.

By the way, I don't think we can assume all this customer service is free. It's got to be part of why Surefire costs more than Brand X, but it's worth it.

Note that wearing out the rubber switch buttons (wearing down the knurls on the TailCap rubber switch boot, wearing through the rubber of the tape pressure switch etc) is not covered by 'if it breaks, SureFire will fix it' - this is because the rubber is intended to be grippy and will therefore wear - it is a consumable part just like the tyres of a motor vehicle.

Led-Ed

Enlightened
the ones from the sandwich shoppe work perfectly in the old e series lockout tailcaps.They are $5.00 each but worth it if you don't like the clickies(z57)

Led-Ed

Enlightened
And the mcklickie switch will also fit into the lotc nicely.
To take apart the lotc , you have to remove the spring,use an allen wrench to remove the bare aluminum part.you need to carefully hold the bare alu part with pliers so that it doesn't spin.Take out the inner plastic lock nut.re-assemble in opposite order.you may have to take it apart a few times to get the clearance right so that it works,and so that it screws down enough.

Last edited:

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have some black silicon sealant (the kind used on glass aquariums), you could just patch up any worn through holes in the rubber boot that are compromising the water resistance. I had a pair of spare Z52s a while back that I stupidly sold off :(