stohsmaeb

iapyx

Enlightened
This is (not) another thread about beamshots.
Have a look at the title of this thread and maybe you get the idea.

So far we´ve seen only beamshots from the point of view of the one who carries his or her flashlight.

Would it be an idea to see beamshots from the burglar´s point of view?
I´m joking a bit here now, but the idea is to show in this thread beamshots that are aimed at the camera.

Maybe it´s not as spectecular as regular beamshots, but flashlights are often used in emergency situations by people that e.g. get lost in the mountains and would like to be noticed by others in order to be resqued.

I´m curious myself what it looks like to see e.g. a Maglite 3D aimed at me or a Mag85 aimed at me from 1 kilometer away. How well is a light visible?

A year or so ago I´ve done a test with a friend of mine who lived in a skyscraper 1,4 kilometers away from where I live (1,4 km is about 0.9 mile). It was dark outside (apart from the city lights) and then I called him up, standing ready with my Magcharger. The light from the MC appeared to be very very well visible as this friend of mine told me.

Here´s one beamshot to start with, but this one was easy:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z184/iapyx_cpf/DSC00416.jpg?t=1186750453

distance:
* 10 meters (about 10 yards)

flashlight used:
* mag11 (6x14500>2D WA1111) and
* mag85 (3xAW´s li-ion C-cell) (both on at the same time)

camera:
* cell phone sony ericsson k800i

The difficulty with this kind of beamshot is that you´ll need two people (and good communication) if you want to make beamshots over a longer distance.

Ok, give it a shot.
iapyx

edit: I realise this thread will only be interesting if several beamshots of different flashlights are compared from a greater distance.

Last edited:

indianavaquero

Newly Enlightened
iapyx,
Sounds like a good idea to me. Most of us have a light at our bed stand, and while we may never have an encounter, we would like to know that any perpetrator would be knocked senseless by our powerful beam.

Now I've tried shining the light into the mirror thing, and besides from being blinded, it does provide a different perspective than wall flooding.

As this "front of lens" test progresses, it is foreseeable that standards will become necessary in order to narrow down the variables For example, camera f-stops will make a difference in how bright the light will appear on the finished photo. So, the aperture would have to be maintained at a standard for particular classes of lights.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad thing to make use of a light meter to bring objectivity into the tests.

Quite frankly, I would like to know if the SOS function on my Fenix lights are capable of being seen well enough to bring rescuers in. So, let the tests begin!

Regards,