Imalent        

Thread: New novatac clip available

Default New novatac clip available

EDIT: Please read my 3rd post further down.

Last edited by turbodog; 08-10-2007 at 07:05 PM.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Default Re: New novatac clip available

Yep, that is what I'm going to do to mine.

What is a source for the old style HDS clips? I don't like the Arc 4 clip.

Be very careful. You need a good ruler, several drills, center punch, and a flat bottomed tap. There's not as much material there as the original hds run had.

Ruler? pshaw!

I did the mod today. Really easy with the right tools. I used a 5c emergency collet bored out to 1.016". Used a square collet block in the milling machine vise, used the DRO to align everything. I only drilled .150" deep. The HDS B42 looked to be drilled .200" deep, but I didn't want to break thru. The square collet block enabled me to easily get the holes 90 degrees apart.

I drilled mine .640" from the business end with the bezel removed. The HDS clip I had stuck out just a tad on the switch end, so it wobbles now. I have a spare arc 4 clip,so I'll give that clip another try. Other wise, I could just grind a touch off of the HDS clip.

Pics to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by kromeke View Post
    Ruler? pshaw!

I did the mod today. Really easy with the right tools. I used a 5c emergency collet bored out to 1.016". Used a square collet block in the milling machine vise, used the DRO to align everything. I only drilled .150" deep. The HDS B42 looked to be drilled .200" deep, but I didn't want to break thru. The square collet block enabled me to easily get the holes 90 degrees apart.

I drilled mine .640" from the business end with the bezel removed. The HDS clip I had stuck out just a tad on the switch end, so it wobbles now. I have a spare arc 4 clip,so I'll give that clip another try. Other wise, I could just grind a touch off of the HDS clip.

Pics to follow.
    Hmmm, that sounds REAL easy with my Black and Decker handyman special and a roll of duct tape! Seriously, for me to even MEASURE to .000" tolerances would require a tad of help from the almighty. "Lord please help me drill my holes to .015" deep!!!" Sorry, I couldn't resist! I'm not letting a drill bit go anywhere NEAR any of my lights. This one goes into my Ripoffs holster--easily removable from my belt and offering one heckuva lot more protection than nuttin'.

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 08-10-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Yes, not a job for the ill-equipped or the squeamish, or unskilled.

I have a lot respect for gunsmiths who work on $$$$ one of a kind guns. I would have just screwed up a $110 flashlight, had I screwed up.

I'm just telling you you're a better machinist than I! I don't mind giving some minor projects a whirl--tearing down a greenhouse, felling a tree, pulling an engine but, tapping a hole with this level of precision? No way! I have to dial Flashlight 911 after I got my hands on it for this "mod".

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 08-11-2007 at 04:16 AM.

Oh...gosh.... you guys are serious! LOL, I thought that first photo was a good photoshop job... but you actually did that to your light? Wow... good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    Oh...gosh.... you guys are serious! LOL, I thought that first photo was a good photoshop job... but you actually did that to your light? Wow... good job!

You must not know who I am....

Followup:

As expected, I caution anyone that wants to try this. Ok, there's the defalt disclaimer.

Secondly, I REALLY caution anyone that wants to try this, even those with reasonable tools and ability. There is PRECIOUS little clearance in there. I have had the light COMPLETELY apart and can tell you that with authority.

My 2nd hole... the drilling went fine, but the tap was close enough to the aluminum's edge that it slightly "broke through". I have sealed the "leak" so to speak with epoxy, from the inside.

And the other guy is right. The original edc holes were .200", tapped to .175" or so.

Yes, Turbodog is right, not a lot of room to work with.

I was sorta joking when I said it was easy. It is, when you have access to ~$20k worth of machine tools and ~10 years experience running them.

Turbo, which side did you break thru on? Tailswitch end or head end?

Did you take the electronics module out? I tried with some needlenose pliers, but quickly gave up (can't find that blasted spanner wrench!).

I did take the reflector out to make measurements on where to place my holes. Definitely no break thru on that end, pretty confident there was no break thru anywhere.

My measurements should be used as a starting point, not to blindly go drilling other lights.

Yes, Turbodog is right, not a lot of room to work with.

I was sorta joking when I said it was easy. It is, when you have access to ~$20k worth of machine tools and ~10 years experience running them.

Turbo, which side did you break thru on? Tailswitch end or head end?

Did you take the electronics module out? I tried with some needlenose pliers, but quickly gave up (can't find that blasted spanner wrench!).

I did take the reflector out to make measurements on where to place my holes. Definitely no break thru on that end, pretty confident there was no break thru anywhere.

My measurements should be used as a starting point, not to blindly go drilling other lights.

Tail end.

Actually, my light engine sort of "fell out" the tail end. My retaining ring was loose. I could see "some" loctite residue on the ring, but not much, or not enough I guess I should say.

The engine was sliding back and forth. After that, it was a no-brainer to disassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Hmmm, that sounds REAL easy with my Black and Decker handyman special and a roll of duct tape! Seriously, for me to even MEASURE to .000" tolerances would require a tad of help from the almighty. "Lord please help me drill my holes to .015" deep!!!" Sorry, I couldn't resist! I'm not letting a drill bit go anywhere NEAR any of my lights. This one goes into my Ripoffs holster--easily removable from my belt and offering one heckuva lot more protection than nuttin'.

Karl
    You must be a better machinist that us all if you can drill a hole .015" deep.

Hint: it's .150"

Yep, that is what I'm going to do to mine.

What is a source for the old style HDS clips? I don't like the Arc 4 clip.
    I can bend one up in Ti anyway you'd like, links in my sigline.

~Chip

What baffled me the most is why did Novatac not use the clip that was designed by Jim Schecter? Believe me when I say that it is way better than the current clip. Novatac, are you listening?

Now I am thinking "is Novatac doing a HDS repeat by offering a replacing clip for $10/each some time down the road?"

ok guys the dremel is out now talk me through this.take the Novatac in left hand hold very steady.and drill two hole how hard can it be

only kidding great work BTW.if it works for you.for me not a chance.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

Not-so-Subliminal Message --->
    You want to sell me your ARC6

Quote Originally Posted by AZLight View Post
    What baffled me the most is why did Novatac not use the clip that was designed by Jim Schecter? Believe me when I say that it is way better than the current clip. Novatac, are you listening?

Now I am thinking "is Novatac doing a HDS repeat by offering a replacing clip for $10/each some time down the road?"
    I really like this Novatac light, but the areas where they 'gained efficiencies' and reduced costs are glaringly obvious. I put the clip at the top of the list. Instead of using Jim's clip, or taking the machine time to drill and tap blind holes, they went with the stamped steel special. Geez, I'm kinda surprised they went to the trouble to have it parkerized. Not that it doesn't work, but it just isn't up to it's $350 predecessor.

I put my clip on last night and I'm kind of liking it believe it or not, and this is after I sure said some nasty things about it based on pictures alone. I'm going to run with it for a week and then run without it for a week and see where I'm at. If someone came up with a great aftermarket clip that didn't require a machine shop to install, they would find themselves quite busy.

Can someone explain "parkerized"?

Super Moderator

LOL, you guys are braver than me to drill these holes, but if you want a good clip instead of that POS stock Novatac one, this has to be the answer.

I'm going to order one of qarawol's holsters for my 120T. He's already made me 2 holsters for my A2s, and they are superb quality.
    Resistance is futile...

Well, the mod you gentlemen have brought here is certainly a most worthy one--for a machinist with some good equipment and, some good measurements (.150" deep, NOT .015"). The mod is a keeper but, as I said, I'll be using my Ripoffs holster--suits my need on hikes for security and exterior protection of the light. I have a number of clips that I have tried on Arc 4+s, HDSs, a whole slew of different lights and I guess I just can't be pleased with the way they hang my lights. My clips stay on my lights but, into their cases they go. Too much invested to leave anything to chance for me anyway. My hat is off to you you though for your ingenuity and, ability to measure so dang close!!

Karl

Outstanding modification!!!

In your inspection of the body thickness did you take note of the possibility of the screw holes being placed on the side of the section with the on/off button?

I have considered the older version clip to be mounted on the section where the button is located to afford a bezel down carry.

However, my humble visual observation is that the body material appears to be thinner on the button section.

Best regards,

Stuart
    Stuart

There's simply not enough material to mount it anywhere else. Not unless you don't mind an actualy hole through the light body.

And I'll say it again. There's extremely little clearance up front. You must be accurate down to the 1/100" or less.

Here is a photo of mine:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...ac85p11242.jpg

I've changed my mind on the Arc 4 style clip. I prefer it now over the original HDS clip.

Flashaholic*

Flashaholic

Here is a photo of mine:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...ac85p11242.jpg

I've changed my mind on the Arc 4 style clip. I prefer it now over the original HDS clip.
    This style clip is nice, just seems like the integrity of the clip retention can be compromised very easily. If anyone has ever carried a knife in their pocket via clip the probability of it becoming snagged on something is pretty good. Kromeke I have an 85P, s/n 11243 your younger bro.

I have thought about making a clip that is stainless consisting of a band that can be tightened up so the clip cannot move but can also be removed easily without tools and that is fairly low profile. Kinda like a simple worm clamp assy but somehow use the clip to tight then secure the clip from loosening. Obviously the current manufacture supplied clips are low tech drilling into the body of the light to me is not worth the implementation of a clip.