Surefire : Aluminum or Polymer (Nitrolon Plastic)

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Gonna be picking out a flashlight from Surefire, is it better to get Aluminum, or the Polymer plastic? i.e. pay more for the 6P or get the G2?

Thanks.

:paypal:

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Btw, it's still regular business hours, why are some of you still posting?
Btw, look to your left, BOSS IS WALKING OVER! :laughing:;)
Are you obsessed with flashlights? :wave:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your budget and what you're use is... However, aluminum is a better heat sink, so for that reason it's a better bet.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Depends on your budget and what you're use is... However, aluminum is a better heat sink, so for that reason it's a better bet.
Yes - how are you going to use it, and how big a difference does the price make to you?

Contrariwise, the Nitrolon won't stick to bare skin in sub-zero weather, won't make you cringe when you drop it on asphalt, and costs roughly half as much. Buy it in yellow, and it's hard to lose; chose tan or olive drab and it's easy to lose :smile:

FWIW, the G2 has a metal liner that helps with heat, but if I were running it incan for 20+ minutes, I'd rather have the 6P. I've run a cheap CREE LA for 40 minutes in a G2 (3.7v, admittedly) with no problems.

If it matters to you, there is no G2 defender, although the P6D bezel should fit :)

I wound up getting the G2, rechargeable setup, 7.4 V LA, and CREE LA for about what the 6P would cost. YMMV.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if it matters, but they will be used on a bike. There will be bumps and such, don't know if one is better, maybe at protecting the batteries, or being dropped or hit hard with a tree branch?

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Any idea if Nitrolon is stronger than Delrin?

I guess I ought to go for the Nitrolon then?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I have both the 6P and the G2 (in yellow). To be honest, if I had decided to get the G2 first, I would probably not bothered with the 6P!

I really like the Nitrolon, it feels better to hold, and as others have commented, it doesn't wear nearly as badly as the type II coating on the 6P, which I'm forever worried about scratching!

The G2 is also lighter.

I'm not sure about running the p61 in the G2 though, it's lens might melt, others may know more, but for me that's not an issue anyway as I only run the p60.

DM51

Flashaholic
The yellow G2 sounds right for you. You won't be bothered too much if it gets knocked about, and it is very tough.

The P61 will work fine in the G2 - the lens will be OK. Runtime is not great with the P61 though.

flash_bang

Enlightened
How does Nitrolon compare to duracoat on the A21's and stuff? Or the Gun Kote stuff.
Thanks,
flash

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Nitrolon. Some of these newer plastics are actually being used on automotive engines so I would say they are very tough and handle heat well. You won't damage it much with anything short of open flame or a grinder. You can always install a glass lens or if it melts Surefire will replace it free. Now if they would only make it in Orange.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
My only other concern is that the G2 does not have a Pyrex lens as in the 6P, which further accounts for the difference. I would prefer Pyrex since it is better against cooling cracks, and strong overall. Can anyone attest to this? I assume the G2 wasn't Pyrex, since it wasn't advertised as such on the SureFire website. If it was Pyrex, then it would have been added to the advert. since it is a great thing to have. So essentially, could all accessories for the 6P work for the G2 and visa versa?:twothumbs

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the feel of the Nitrolon in that style of light. I think you'll feel better about it on the bike as well, it is a lot easier to hold onto when sweaty, etc... IMO

Size15's

Flashaholic
So essentially, could all accessories for the 6P work for the G2 and visa versa?:twothumbs
There are some exceptions but yes the 6P and G2 are broadly interchangeable.

I'm actually a fan of the Lexan window for products that I don't find the need for Pyrex to be critical. Such as the G2 - I know the Lexan will never crack or shatter.

Where there is a choice I prefer Nitrolon (G2 vs 6P, G3 vs 9P, G2Z vs Z2, G2L vs 6PL, 8NX vs 8AX). However, I would not select a Nitrolon flashlight over another flashlight just to have the Nitrolon. For example I would not select a G2 or G2Z over a C2 or M2 (mostly because of the PocketClip).

Also, I would love for Nitrolon products to be sold in bright orange.

Al

jlomein

Enlightened
I have read a lot of opinions on CPF stating that orange would be preferred over yellow for the nitrolon G2. Has anyone tried painting their G2 orange with good results? Does it negatively affect performance?

In regards to the thread topic, I would definitely use a G2 over a 6P. I don't normally use a flashlight longer than 1-5 minutes, so heat issues with high power lamps/drop ins are not a concern. I tend to baby my flashlights so the anodized finish doesn't wear off, but with the nitrolon G2 I can be a little rougher and expect it to still look great.

To the original OP: try to go to a store and put the G2 and 6P in your hand. After trying them out for a few minutes I bet you will know which one to buy.

Last edited: