Which SureFire to get? (Bike Light)

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions on which to get? I need to buy 2X of them.
They will be mounted on a bike. Brightness is good, LED is good too, and long run time would be good too. Ideally, around $160.?
Suggestions?

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions on which to get? I need to buy 2X of them.
They will be mounted on a bike. Brightness is good, LED is good too, and long run time would be good too. Ideally, around $160.?
Suggestions?

I would say E2L Cree (KX2 not KL2). 45 lumens, 14 hour runtime. I don't know if you mean 160.00 per light or 160.00 is the max for one, If its 160.00 per light than they are well in line with your budget. If you can't do the E2L's than i would say maybe the G2/6P LED model's. Again, Bright, Long Runtime's LED's and 2 cells. and at 65.00 for the G2L (Nitrolon) or 85.00 for the 6PL they would be a good option. Or for incan's the G2 / 6P's would be good or E2E if your looking for something a little bit smaller.

(The G2/6PL is 80 lumens plus or minus, No CPF member has done a reading to see what they really are.)

Grun

Newly Enlightened
For this application is it better to get the G2 or the 6P, how about modding a 9P with a Cree? Is that bad? It is longer in size, no? Won't it get in the way? But it would have a longer life, because of the extra battery.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Also, how the heck can the SureFire 6P run for so long, and the Fenix's don't?:faint:

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
For this application is it better to get the G2 or the 6P, how about modding a 9P with a Cree? Is that bad? It is longer in size, no? Won't it get in the way? But it would have a longer life, because of the extra battery.
Well. You would need to find a 9V Cree Drop in to do so. The 9P will be longer because its a 9V (3 123 Cell) Light. As i bike light i would probably say that aluminum body is better. But it would help if your give some information so we know the application. Also is your limit 160.00 *per light* or 160.00 total? That will help as well.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
application: mounted on mountain bike for night riding in trails by trees
$160 for total

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
application: mounted on mountain bike for night riding in trails by trees
$160 for total

Two G2 LED's will cost 130.00 for two suiting your budget. and will work very well, You'll just need to get a bike mount which there are plenty of (and electrical tape will work if needed) two 6P LED's will work and are Aluminum so you'll have that much more peace of mind, Those will go for 170.00 for two. I would suggest on either light you choose to get a Z58 or Z59 Clicky Tailcap. That'll allow you to turn it on and off alot quicker than with the Twisty on and off those both come with. The 6P LED will run a little longer on full power due to it being Aluminum and being able to throw heat off easier. So its down to one thing, Nitrolon or Aluminum. Both will suit this job very well. and both should have no problem with getting hit by tree's, You'll just need to ensure that they are mounted very securely so they don't fall off (but as i said, Tape or some other way of mountings them on your handlebars or where ever will work without problems. Enjoy your lights! (and ride's)

[Edit: It might also be a good idea to get an SC1 Spare battery carrier. So that *just* incase you forgot to change the battery's you'll have spare's in a water tight carrier. It will carry a lamp which i guess you could put a P61 Ultra High output lamp in there when you need even more light. (100 lumens for 20 minutes)]

Links:
G2 LED page: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24460/sesent/00
6P LED page: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24459/sesent/00
SC1 Carrier: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/0/prrfnbr/251/SC1-Spares-Carrier-

Last edited:

Grun

Newly Enlightened
What about getting the 6P Defender, then getting a Cree Dropin from Lighthound? It will then have the clicky switch already.

Is the G2 lens made of glass or pyrex? Pyrex is way better for shatter resistance, as well as temperature cracks. :twothumbs

Another vote if that is the case for the 6P Defender with Cree Dropin.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I would suggest on either light you choose to get a Z58 or Z59 Clicky Tailcap. That'll allow you to turn it on and off alot quicker than with the Twisty on and off those both come with..
Actually I've used the halogen G2 & E2e as a bike light and the twisty is a lot easier to use when mounted in a twofish lockblock. With a clicky you have to push hard on the end and that pushes the light out of position. The twisty on the back is the best for handlebar use, very easy to operate. In fact with the clicky E2e I activated the clicky but then used the twist to turn it on and off.

The G2L or 6PL are both good choices. They will have really wide beams, because they use a fairly shallow reflector. The Optic surefires will have narrow beams that may not be as suitable. Maybe a combo G2L, E2L.

There are also very good non-surefire options. I would recommend adding a PT APEX or EOS to your helmet.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Hmm. I guess as i think of it twisty will be better. I don't think the 6P Defender is what your looking for now that i thought the clicky thing over. The 6P's windows is Pyrex. Not sure about the G2, I know its not glass though. (I have two G2's) You can buy Glass replacement window's that you just pop in but you obviously don't want glass. As i said i don't think you want the Defender. You'll have to buy a P60L or Cree drop in and the only advantage your getting is the Strike Bezel on the front, Which in use of a Bike light is going to be pretty much useless, It also causes a slight bit of "distortion" of the beam from the bezel where it is crenellated. So i don't see the jump from 50.00 for the 6P Original (Which i also have) to 78.00 for a Bezel / Tailcap change useful in this situation. If you were going to use it more as a EDC than a Bike light then it would be great. So i still think the G2L or 6PL would be better for this situation.

carrot

Flashaholic
I find a single Cree E2L to be absolutely adequate for the task. At only $100 and with 9 hours of fully regulated runtime it could very well be a good candidate. I would also consider the 6PL and G2L as well, but runtime tests have not been made yet.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grun,
Are you really set on Surefire? Because there are other great lights that work on rechargable batteries. Primary (non-rechargable) CR123s could get pricy if you use them often. I don't think anybody has tested the G2 etc with LiIon RCR123s yet. Surefire does not recommend this on any of their lights, but certain combos do work.

It all depends on how often you will use this setup and how long the rides will be.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Grun,
Are you really set on Surefire? Because there are other great lights that work on rechargable batteries. Primary (non-rechargable) CR123s could get pricy if you use them often. I don't think anybody has tested the G2 etc with LiIon RCR123s yet. Surefire does not recommend this on any of their lights, but certain combos do work.

It all depends on how often you will use this setup and how long the rides will be.

Really?
Thanks for looking out for me and my flashlights, cave dave. You is a good guy.

:twothumbs:twothumbs:buddies:

Are you referring here in this case to G2, or G2L? Please let me know which. Maybe the G2 cannot take it, but the G2L probably will. My batteries are rechargeable Tenergy, 3.0V, will this work? I mean, I am sure this will work with the G2L, but do you know if the 3.0V will work with the G2 incandescent?

Grun

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix P3D Rebel, running at high mode (112lumens, which is really about 89 lumens). The Surefire G2L, or 6PL (80lumens, is really 96 lumens).

I might go with that instead, provided that the G2L bulb does not burst. I don't think it will since the LED bulbs are supposed to be regulated.