Fenix P2D with OP - yahoo!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Alternative title: how to make the best of a bad situation.

I've been lacking torch enthusiasm lately and haven't posted for a while. That changed the other day when I logged on and saw that Novatac was finally shipping EDC120Ps, and Fenix was FINALLY offering OP reflectors in their product line.

I immediately picked up a natural finish textured P2D from torchworld.com.au and was delighted with the finish and the great smooth raccoon-eyes-free beam. The textured reflector really makes and incredible difference.

Unfortunately I also experienced my first case of losing the LED lottery as the beam colour was so green that I noticed it even without comparing it to another torch. To add insult to injury, the lens was badly smudged on the inside. Nice QC fenix!

One of the advantages of being a compulsive torch buyer is having several fenixes to play with, and I have a black L2D with a great beam tint but crappy ringy beam. Time for a reflector swap! I unscrewed the reflector from this torch head no problems, but had a very hard time getting the P2D head apart, and scratched the hell out of it with my pliers. Determined to have at least one torch with an unblemished finish I reassembled a hydrid finish P2D which now has a nearly perfect beam, a clean lens, and (I think) a great look.

p2d.jpg

This has replaced my original P2D as my EDC, and I think it's just about perfect in that capacity. If fenix would bring out a version which properly supported RCR123s then it really would be perfect for me.

As for the other torch - now I have a "beater" L2D with a scratched hybrid finish, and green ringy beam. I think that is migrating out to my car glove box!

Anyhow, now I have a nice torch to play with while I wait for my EDC120P to arrive...

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you have snagged a P2D with a Q2 bin CREE from fenix-store.com? They may only have black left, if any. I picked up a P2D Q2 with the natural finish and it has a very nice tint.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Could you have snagged a P2D with a Q2 bin CREE from fenix-store.com? They may only have black left, if any. I picked up a P2D Q2 with the natural finish and it has a very nice tint.

I probably SHOULD have, but I'm too impatient to wait for stuff to come from the US!