SureFire and Fenix Beam shots requested

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I am looking for members here who have both Fenix's and Surefires of the LED variety in both. And am requesting beamshots, bounce, and other useful comparisons. I realize the two lights are in different categories, and this is not meant to be a SureFire vs. Fenix thread, there are enough of those already. I realize that for the most part Fenix's are brighter, but I want to know by how much. SureFire has great build, I am sure, that is what I have been reading, but am deciding whether to jump to SureFire from my Fenix, from a light point of view.

Rebel @ 200 lumens, would that be more like 150 lumens Fenix, compared with a 100 lumen SureFire, or if a SureFire G2 or 6P would hold its own against a Fenix Rebel 100, or P3D CE, or a Fenix L2D CE? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the beamshots you are looking for, but I do have a question.

What are your primary usages? It really comes down to utility vs wow factor. You'll likely wind up with lots of lights with lots of different uses.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the beamshots you are looking for, but I do have a question.

What are your primary usages? It really comes down to utility vs wow factor. You'll likely wind up with lots of lights with lots of different uses.

Primary usage will be two on the handlebars of my bike. I currently have a pair of P3D Rebels, but am considering ditching them and going for the G2 LED from Surefire. A small shot dimmer, but more reliable. I just want to know if I will be losing too many lumens. If so, I may reconsider. It is just that my Fenix P3D Rebel 100 is not useful at the max-Turbo, only on the next highest...112 lumens. which is more like 100 lumens, which is around a bit brighter than a G2 LED. :ohgeez:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the run times compare? Are you using primaries in the P3D's, or RCR123's? Have you tested the run time with your P3D rebels on HIGH? I can see where Turbo may not give you long enough run times.

I you get the G2's you'll have to let us know how they compare to the P3D for application. Beam quality, brightness, run times, etc. :)

xiaowenzu

Banned
564455.jpg

564473.jpg

A Surefire U2 (100Lu) vs Fenix P1DCE (135),
As you can see, the Surefire is slighty brighter but has a more useable beam pattern. And notice how the U2 more evenly lights up the midway of the hall, the beam is more distributed. Wheres the P1D there's a dark patch midway. :twothumbs

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the U2 use an optic or a reflector? I noticed in the P1D's shot you can see something up against the wall in the foreground on the right. In the U2 shot you can't see it at all. If that was someone standing there with a gun and you had the U2 you'd be dead, with the P1D you'd be able to see them. :)

xiaowenzu

Banned
Does the U2 use an optic or a reflector? :)
It uses a reflector, the U2. But with that beamshot the U2 lights up the left side much more clearly than the P1DCE and overall the backwall is brighter. If the U2 was aimed at the right side, it naturally would light that up as well. :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
But with that beamshot the U2 lights up the left side much more clearly than the P1DCE and overall the backwall is brighter. If the U2 was aimed at the right side, it naturally would light that up as well. :twothumbs

Sorry, I disagree. Look at the bottom left corner, under the Surefire text, and under the Fenix text, and you will clearly see the Fenix is lighting up something on the floor that the U2 isn't. Also If you check the top left corners you will see the P1D is lighting up more than the U2. The Fenix has a wider spill, so more of it's output (lumens) are being used in the spill, while the U2 is focusing more of it's output (lumens) in a smaller area. The P1D does show it's donut hole thanks to the smooth reflector, which is why we see the darker area on the walls around the end of the range. A P2D-CE with a Q2-bin and OP reflector would beat out the P1D-CE and the U2 in a shot like that

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
Sorry, I disagree. Look at the bottom left corner, under the Surefire text, and under the Fenix text, and you will clearly see the Fenix is lighting up something on the floor that the U2 isn't.
Yep, I see. It looks like the Fenix has lost a lot of light in the first few feet, and is tired at the end of the shot. If you look at the side walls, the SF is brighter... while the P1CDE becomes dimmer the further the distance. People are correct when they say Surefires are a WALL OF LIGHT! :thumbsup:
I agree that a Q2-bin P1DCE can match the U2, but if one is lucky to get a luxeon lottery U2, it can very likely beat the special bin Fenix. :party:

Grun

Newly Enlightened
How do the run times compare? Are you using primaries in the P3D's, or RCR123's? Have you tested the run time with your P3D rebels on HIGH? I can see where Turbo may not give you long enough run times.

I you get the G2's you'll have to let us know how they compare to the P3D for application. Beam quality, brightness, run times, etc. :)

Run time on high using the RCR123 will be much less than the 4.8h. I guess maybe 30% less. Not sure. I would like to know though.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
btw, in the Fenix shot, what his that thing on the right? a mattress?

Grun

Newly Enlightened

Run Time:
Fenix P3D Rebel 100, Using 2XRCR123 by Tenergy 3.0V/900mAh each

High setting: 123 minutes/2h03minutes :(:scowl::(:scowl:

Advertised run time time: 4.8h (primaries?-not stated):thumbsdow:tsk:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run Time:
Fenix P3D Rebel 100, Using 2XRCR123 by Tenergy 3.0V/900mAh each

High setting: 123 minutes/2h03minutes :(:scowl::(:scowl:

Advertised run time time: 4.8h (primaries?-not stated):thumbsdow:tsk:

RCR123's will not run nearly as long as primaries. They are advertising primary run times. If you want to use rechargables, you will gain the ability to recharge, but lose run time.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
RCR123's will not run nearly as long as primaries. They are advertising primary run times. If you want to use rechargables, you will gain the ability to recharge, but lose run time.
:(:(:(