Ok... Any non-lethal ways to impress a family

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
---> K, sorry about the last thread, I was not clear. I wasn't going to actually do the dangerous things, I just wanted to hear what people had to say.

Hey everyone,
I have a REALLY stupid cousin. Every year at a family party he always does something like a card trick and somehow fools everyone but me. Then when I explain to everyone how stupid they are because he looked at their card when you were'nt paying attention they're all like "Your just jealos because hes got talent" :crackup: Its just the fact that hes so unbelievably stupid I can't stand to watch it anymore. Well this year hes going down. I have custom built lasers and flashlights and a potato gun. But I'm looking for a way to get him REAL good. I was thinking diet coke and mentos or something. Anyone got suggestions? (no dangerous ones)

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are fooled by card tricks where the guy sneaks a look there are many easy ones that tend to blow the socks off people.
You could also learn the "secret" behind spoon bending.

I know a simple card trick with a variety of endings. I do it by placing four arrays of four cards each on the table.
Point to two piles.
Point to one pile.
Point to two (remaining) cards.
Point to one of the remaining cards.
Then I walk away. Usually there is a scream when they turn over that last card and find it is the one they pick.
Let me know if you want me to write out the details...

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
If they are fooled by card tricks where the guy sneaks a look there are many easy ones that tend to blow the socks off people.
You could also learn the "secret" behind spoon bending.

I know a simple card trick with a variety of endings. I do it by placing four arrays of four cards each on the table.
Point to two piles.
Point to one pile.
Point to two (remaining) cards.
Point to one of the remaining cards.
Then I walk away. Usually there is a scream when they turn over that last card and find it is the one they pick.
Let me know if you want me to write out the details...

Hey sounds cool. If it is mathematical however, they will catch it immediately. Like everyone in my dads family has an iq of like 160+ lol. But still sounds cool, i'd like to know that. Ill explain to you a good trick in return. (appearing red card trick,) Really really cool.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just sit off to the side, messing with the flashlight/laser/etc. you brought along, and when someone asks you about it, let 'em have it (stats, comparisons, that sort of thing). :) If my experience is any indication, they'll soon regret starting you off. :laughing:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I GOT SOMETHING FOR YOU TO GET HIM WITH

First get a long transmission funnel, you tell him he has to put it down his pants, then take a quarter and tell him to lean his head back place the quarter on his head and then to lean forward trying too get the quarter in the funnel, he has to do this 3 times, each time he has to lean back a bit further. The whole time you have to shut him down by saying, I bet you cant do, mabey even bet him $20 "a small price to pay". well the point is when he has his head back for third attempt, "YOU" standing next to him actually in front of his so you are out of his peripheral vision, pour a large cup of iced water down the funnel.!!!!! :)

Greta

Flashaholic
I have an idea!! How about letting your cousin do his stupid tricks that everyone seems to enjoy and have fun with and stop trying to steal his spotlight by demeaning him or embarassing him and just quietly and maturely wait for your own spotlight? My guess is that your family will be quite impressed with just the maturity that you show... and anything you do after that... even a stupid card trick... would knock their socks off... ;) Just a suggestion... :whistle:

WNG

Enlightened
I have an idea!! How about letting your cousin do his stupid tricks that everyone seems to enjoy and have fun with and stop trying to steal his spotlight by demeaning him or embarassing him and just quietly and maturely wait for your own spotlight? My guess is that your family will be quite impressed with just the maturity that you show... and anything you do after that... even a stupid card trick... would knock their socks off... ;) Just a suggestion... :whistle:

+1

Chill out and stop being concerned about how stupid people can be. Otherwise you'll go insane.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with the above. Just ignore him, live your own life the way your wish. Get educated, get rich, then hire him to entertain at your parties.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
You guys misunderstand me. Its been like a competition between us now. This is just friendly competition, lol don't worry. I don't care about being in the spotlight, I just want to get him this year :devil: :sssh:.

Eskimonio

Newly Enlightened
Alright Stephen, I got your back.

Too many old mature fuddy duddies around here lately. I'm guessing you're less than college-age, hence the reason it's important for you to get your fair share of the spotlight. Previous posters make sense in that a clamoring for attention can be pretty apparent, and if you don't walk that line carefully you become annoying rather than endearing. But I know what good cousin rivalry is all about, and provided you're not disparaging or hurtful to him, I say put on a show.

That said, if done right the "Scotch and Soda" magic trick is pretty darn amazing. I'll let you google it, as it can be done a few different ways, but basically the effect is you make one of two coins disappear from your hand and reappear elsewhere. e.g. someone's pocket, under a coffee cup, etc. It requires very little preparation, and really no complicated mechanical palms or sleights.

Personally, I like http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=75 It is a similar trick, but unlike Scotch and Soda has the advantages of:
Not using any exotic coins, which IMHO can arouse suspicion
Smaller - I carry this in my wallet for impromptu impressings of neices and nephews
Lighter - easier to plant one of these coins in someone's pocket pre-trick than a big, heavy silver dollar or mexican peso.

Like all magic, the key is the delivery...you have to be just enough of a showman to build the trick up, but not be too cheesy at the payoff.

Good luck.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
It's just a joke, but get a UV flashlight. Show it to people, explain how you can use it to "Find out 'Forensic Stuff' about people, like on CSI." :cool:

Maybe make a few things glow, get them interested etc. Then ask to shine it on their hands and arms. stating with pompous authority, that it should "Show something, and you can learn a lot." about them. When nothing of real interest is found, put on a good show of acting increasingly frustrated/confused etc. Then loudly protest that "it works on me!"

Then shine the UV light on your own hand or forearm, where you took the time to write beforehand with a UV "invisible ink pen", (Test this first, don't want it to sweat off etc.)... whatever you want about any particular part of your anatomy you might be tempted to brag about...:crazy: Maybe a comparison to a barnyard animal...

I had my uncles and cousins rolling in tears with that one last Christmas.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can think of a little different direction for AJ's suggestion. You might be able to "find" something on the folks you inspect. Remember the blue dress.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I can think of a little different direction for AJ's suggestion. You might be able to "find" something on the folks you inspect. Remember the blue dress.

:sick2: Yeah, I remember the dress! Ewww. :laughing:

Another easy trick is the Helicopter Card (do a Google search on it). Requires a bit of practice but the effect is really neat and you can do it with a couple of simple household items in addition to the card.