Need a battery-powered LED closet light with timer-off function.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I thought my little 4" fluorescent battery powered light would make a great light for that dark closet in the hall... until I discovered that I cannot train my wife to remember to turn it off. It was always dead with the switch in the "on" position when I went to use it. So, has anybody any suggestions where I might find a (preferably) LED light which has an auto-off feature, that can be set to turn the light off a couple or a few minutes after activation?

DaveG

Enlightened
Try Wal-mart for the Garrity touch light,same idea as the round incan that you push on and off,but updated with leds and a timer.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, all. I read the reviews on the Globe, and although they sound like just the ticket for some applications, not so good for my closet. I think when I open the door with the Globe on the inside, too much ambient light from the ceiling light down the hall will probably prevent it from turning on. I will check out the Garrity LED touch light w/ timer next time at Wal-Mart.

But I can't get those Globe's out of my mind for other areas at night! It seems they are all out of stock now. Do they go in and out of stock that fast? How often do they go on sale for $10 - $12 per 4 pack?

Newuser01

Enlightened
They often do. I've seen at least twice now. I would suggest you monitor deal sites such ash fat wallet or slick deals.
That is where I've seen them. I think that they would work but not as well since they may not have enough light to over come ambient light. But it is good to mount them near entrances and hallways to act as night lights but uses batteries. So you can have these where there are no outlets.

R
Noob

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious about these motion-activated lights that run on batteries... doesn't motion activation work on infrared, or at least some sensing method that must be "energized" all the time to be ready to sense motion? How can the battery life be so long on these if there is a constant drain on the cells, in addition to the current draw from the LED's when on?

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
make a door switch, when the door open light goes on, when its closed light goes off. all you need is a relay, some wires and your light and battery. cheep yet effective.

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
I think the problem may be that the light isn't bright enough. Mount a HID in there and she'll either remember to turn it off or close the door. You could also wire in an annoying buzzer or chime with the light. It might even yield an added side effect that she'll be dressed and ready much quicker when you're going out. :D

KuoH

Did I mention that I can't train my wife to close the closet door, either?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
your in silicoln valley , and you cant find a autoOff curcuit :)

something like a mosfet, and a capacitor, and tiny resistance, the switch (momentary) charges the cap, the cap drives the mosfet gate, the resister eventually draws down the capaitor, and the gate closes, and then the light shouldnt consume much of anything at that point mabey 99.89% off. with a variable resister the time could be adjusted.
$3 in parts and 10 years of hard labor to get it debugged :)

i am not an EE, in any sence of the word, but it would have very few items and connections.

Last edited: