Any mass produced Japanese lights?

knot

Banned
All I see are Chinese, Taiwanese, and American made LED flashlights. Are there any Japan made LED lights? I don't mean expensive custom lights.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I vaguely remember seeing something about a Panasonic LED headlamp some time ago. I think it was using a Luxeon or some variant, maybe a Jupiter. Seems like there must be some others. I'm sure we'll hear about more.

Geoff

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi knot,

When I visited my relatives in Japan 14 years ago, I found an interesting and cool variety of lights. I can not remember any of SF quality, but like all things Japanese they often had nifty features. I recall a few which are rechargeable, it featured a flip-out plug on the handle. You simply plug the light onto the wall outlet!:cool:

My brother brought back a light on a recent trip. It's essentially a battery-powered "nightlight" (kids from the '80s should remember these). It utilizes an LED and IR motion sensor. When I go to the bathroom at night the light automatically lights up my hallway. It's bright enough to get around, and if need be I can carry it and use it as a makeshift flashlight. Works great, and it's cool!

I know the "National" brand is a major Japanese flashlight manufacturer. Try http://www.lightch.com , it has quite a few National lights on there. Try googling "japanese flashlights" as well.

I know this isn't crazy news, but hope this helps.

Dudemar

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
Don't mean to drift off topic, but are Nichias considered low quality?
Nope, actually they are state-of-the-art for it's size - 5mm. The white Nichia's are one of the brightest Leds and are used in Photon Freedom Microlight. :grin2:

knot

Banned
Last edited:

knot

Banned
Nope, actually they are state-of-the-art for it's size - 5mm. The white Nichia's are one of the brightest Leds and are used in Photon Freedom Microlight. :grin2:

Is the Photon Freedom Microlight really that good? $16.95 for a tiny keychain light?

I have relatives in Japan as well but I don't speak Japanese. My mom is from Japan.

Last edited:

nisshin

Enlightened
Perusing the Japan Flashlight Channel site, there are several companies based in Japan, but whether the lights themselves are made in Japan or elsewhere is the question. I believe these companies are based in Japan:

National: Panasonic, Mitsubishi
Elpa Asahi Denki
Ohm Electric
FDK
Fusion Japan
Toshiba
Fujitsu
Futaba Tool
Sony
Hitachi
Maruzen
Tokyo Marui
Gentos: Saint Gentleman Co. (n.b. lights made in China)

Some of the reviews have the following image that indicates a Japan-made product: made in Japan GIF.

Windscale

Enlightened
Don't mean to drift off topic, but are Nichias considered low quality?

I like Nichia LEDs very much. But they don't seem to make high power ones. Their 1.5W, as fitted in the Aurora ( reviewed in Flashlightreviews.com) is still a firm favourite of mine. It gave out a beam with a distinct tinted circle in the middle, like those on a performing stage, and has very good runtime. Then there is the Gentos 0.5W headlamp which is very bright by 0.5W standard, also has very long runtime. I have also been told (not verified) that the 4x white LEDs in the Inova 24/7 are also made by Nichia. The 24/7 is still one of my EDCs because although it is not very bright yet it would enable others to see me and it has very good rumtime. I runit on 1x RCR123A (3.0v).

However, I don't think Nichia make their own lights. They just produce LEDs for others to make lights.

knot

Banned
This light looks interesting. It projects a big spot flood type. I wonder how to go about purchasing http://www.lightch.com/elpa/a/dop017bk.html

dop017bk01lo3.jpg

Ok did a little searching: http://mail.elpa.co.jp/product/la01/elpa150.html

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I might be able to order from them as i can read some japanese. If they dont sell it overseas i might be able to get my girlfriend(lives japan) to get it and send it to america.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
1.5 hour running time, 1 CR123, looks like it's a forward clicky, luxeon 3 watt, splash proof, now all that's missing is the group buy price because I'm not sure $50 is going to sell for a single mode flashlight unless there's somthing extraordinary about it.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elpas look to be rebranded Nuwais. Nuwai's latest offerings look quite interesting, but haven't found any retailers carrying their new stuff.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding Panasonic selling those products worldwide, they sell what you see on their website solely to the Japanese market. I feel the same way about a lot of things Japanese: cars, food, electronics, et cetera. They're all so nifty, and it sure would remind me of when I was growing up there!

You might have some luck on eBay, you could find a seller in Japan willing to get what you want. There might even be online sellers, try googling "kaichudento" (Japanese for "flashlight").

I have relatives in Japan as well but I don't speak Japanese. My mom is from Japan.

My mom is from Japan too!:wave: My realtives live in Fukushima-ken, but I grew up on Sagamihara Housing Area (US Army, Camp Zama).

Last edited: