Smooth vs. Orange Peel Reflectors?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Just want to know your opinions and real-life experiences with regards to smooth versus orange peel reflectors.

Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you NEED a real thrower, an OP reflector produces a much more uniform beam. For me, for most applications, a smooth beam is better than a little extra throw.

o0o

Enlightened
Ditto.

For day to day stuff at low to medium distances (when beam quality is more important than quantity), I find a clean beam better than a long-throwing beam.

Thus, 99% of the time I prefer orange peel reflectors.

If I really need that extra throw, I'm really just better off with a more powerful flashlight or a spotlight instead.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Smooth reflectors normally allow for a slightly tighter beam, but the draw back is that if the lamp or light source is not placed in a specific spot in the reflectors focal area, the beam will end up with holes and artifacts. The orange peel reflectors allow for a beam that is very smooth and even, normally with a bright center hotspot and a diminishing corona.

liquidsix

Enlightened
Beams that I've seen out coming out of a smooth reflector are pretty descent, there are some slight artifacts on some lights but that's about it. I guess it all depends on the manufacturer and how well they align the emitter.

I haven't seen a smooth reflector light where the hotspot is too tight to make it usefull at close to medium distances, so it's good for the same applications as an OP light.

Last edited:

whc

Enlightened
I am an OP or LOP kind of guy, don't need too much throw, and the OP reflectors gives a more smooth and flooty beam.

SM reflector it for more throw, and does not smoothen out the beam, good for hunting or safari.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an OP or LOP kind of guy, don't need too much throw, and the OP reflectors gives a more smooth and flooty beam.

SM reflector it for more throw, and does not smoothen out the beam, good for hunting or safari.

I hear these terms quite often:

MOP

LOP

What do these terms stand for?

pete7226

Enlightened
Think of the skin of an orange. Medium orange peel, Light orange peel. The texturing on the reflector that affects the beam characteristics, as opposed to a smooth, mirror like reflector (SMO), which has no texturing and throws farther.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Pretty much what they said.

The highest level of Orange Peel I have is medium. It tames a M*gcharger bulb nicely!

The nicest smooth I have is a Five Mega deep 2" which rocks with a wa01185 hotwire bulb.

No matter which sort of texture you use, it is ULTRA critical that the bulb wire is centered perfectly in the reflector!

I am another guy who values beam quality over absolute throw. I frost incandescent light bulbs to help in this quest.

For smooth reflectored LED lights I often use diffusing film on the lense. It really helps on M*gleds C/D.

It's ALL good!

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
I generally prefer orange peel... Smooth reflectors make an ugly beam.
HDS is the only LED I've seen that has a great beam with a smooth reflector. It's actually incredible, maybe mine just has a perfectly centered LED....

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I much prefer a smooth beam, so OP is usually best. Two of my lights with great OP beams are the JetBeam C-LE and the Rexlight 2.0.

Geoff

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I mostly use lights outside, so this SMO/*OP debate is moot to me. I really don't care.
Yeah, I have to say that slight rings in my beam don't really bother me for outdoor use. It was different in the days of cheap incans. We forget how bad they used to be - I pulled out an old fixed-focus 2D cell with SMO reflector from a basement box the other day, and just about gagged when I turned it on (hideous donut, and you could could park a truck in those rings!). :green:

But I don't find any of the rings in my Cree-based lights noticeable outdoors, so I generally prefer to keep it smooth or LOP at most. Why loose throw if you don't mind the slight rings? :whistle:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have to say that slight rings in my beam don't really bother me for outdoor use. It was different in the days of cheap incans. We forget how bad they used to be - I pulled out an old fixed-focus 2D cell with SMO reflector from a basement box the other day, and just about gagged when I turned it on (hideous donut, and you could could park a truck in those rings!). :green:

But I don't find any of the rings in my Cree-based lights noticeable outdoors, so I generally prefer to keep it smooth or LOP at most. Why loose throw if you don't mind the slight rings? :whistle:

Yeah, I should mention that the rings I don't care about are from modern high-flux LED lights. I do take issue with rings/holes/serious artifacts from cheap incans. :sick2:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a smooth beam so I prefer OP however, if the manufacturer can make a nice smooth beam without OP (like HDS) thenit does not matter. When I compare my McLux PD-S to my seoulmodded HDS the difference in throw is not great enough to sway me one way or the other. Basically whatever gives me a nice smooth artifact free beam.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
on WHAT?
for incans it surely would clean up the mess that exists.
for Lux3 leds only smooth and properly MADE for that led, because there was little LOSS from the smoother reflectors, and made correctally, the beam looked great.

for these new Leds, the orange peel is a quick fix (IMO) that will allow it to work without any problems, no mater the type of led you stuff behind it. could come in handy when you change things again. also the new LED emitter patterns make things harder again for optic items.
how many lights does a good modification Resell?

Smooth whenever possible, even if the suckers have to re-tool thier whole line :)
besides i aint never seen a ring, when i was actually using a light for anything other than a beamshot.

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Another vote for orange peel ... even though I have precious few lights with them.

" ... besides, I aint never seen a ring when I was actually using a light for anything other than a beamshot."

Maybe that's true for you, but once I've seen a ring in a beam, I can always see it whenever I'm shining the light at a large, solid object (like a building). This drives me nuts in an anal-retentive/OCD way.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My all around brightest usefull house light is a M*gcharger bulb running in what I believe is an M2 MOP reflector driven by six Rayovac hybrids.

It still has throw enough to see what I need to see around here.

Sure! When talking LUX I or LUX III leds a smooth reflector works well.

For Crees things are different. I have a Streamlight Tasklight 3AA that WAS an off center ugly tinted LUXIII. It now has a Cree. It has a reflector that has light orange peel down near the led smoothing out as it gets close to the lense. It does NOT have a very nice beam!

I have a Cree'd Madmax in a 2AA M*g that has a pretty decent beam using the deep smooth reflector and head from a dead M*gled.

And I have two DX Cree modules that have MOP reflectors designed for the Cree and have damn nice beams!

And I say yet again... if you can't get a LOP or MOP or ??? for your incandescent light try frosting the bulb. My M*gcharger has a WA01160 bulb with light frost CNTERED in the reflector. It has what I consider to be a marvelous beam!

And I have a slightly more frosted WA01274 in another light CENTERED and is has a nice beam. I MUCH prefer the overdriven M*gcharger bulb in the MOP however!

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Selfbuilt, you prefer smooth reflectors.
Can I ask you relatively how much "loss in throw" does the OP orange peel reflector cause? Esp say in a Jetbeam RRT-2?
Or what is the relative difference in throw between smooth and orange peel reflectors?
Eg if OP reflectors only lose 10% throw, I wouldn't be too concerned.
However, if OP reflectors lose 30% throw - I would start to get a little worried!
Do you have any data on exactly how much throw it loses???
Many thanks...