I still like 5MM LED lights...

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Y'know, it's funny, with the current Cree/Lux Rebel/SSC/K2/thelatestÜberemitter craze here on CPF, you'd think 5MM LED lights were forgotten, many CPF'ers seem to be seduced by the power, efficiency, and whiteness of the latest Überemitters

yes, Cree/Seoul/K2/SSC/Rebel lights are very nice, however, they also seem to be growing both brighter and more power hungry with every revision, and they're also generating prodigious amounts of heat, it's almost like they're transforming into nothing more than an "unbreakable" incan bulb, as brightness rises, heat generation increases and LED lifespan drops.....

to make matters worse, most lights have the emitter permanently mounted in the light's head, so when the LED succums to heat/voltage damage and starts to lose brightness, or just plain dies, it's almost impossible to repair/replace the emitter

I have a couple of Überemitter lights, a Lighthound Cree drop in in my old 6P, and a SSC P4 in my E1L-SR, and i love both of those lights (especially the E1L-SR)

that said, I still like the "obsolete" 5MM based LED lights, lights like the Inova X5 and X1 Gen 2, the CMG Infinity, the Peak 5MM light line, the Arc-P, the Fenix E0, and other such lights

I like their simplicity, no need for complicated optics or reflectors, each LED has it's own optic as part of the emitter itself, their durability, and power efficiency, i have an old standard power Peak Kilimanjaro 1 LED light that I've been doing a runtime test on, it's been burning now continuously for 6 days, and for 5 of those days, the light was still usable for walking around the house when dark adapted, today it's dropped down to the point where i can see the bond wire going into the LED die, but it's still putting out enough light to read by....

my Aviatrixed A2 Aviator (hey, it has 5MM emitters in it, it counts!) is the perfect light, a low red LED for when i want to protect my dark adaptation or get ultra-long runtimes, i lightly sanded the red LED to smooth out the ringy, square beam and to cut down some of it;s throw, the two white LED's are great for normal use, and since i sanded the red LED, the pink hotspot in the middle of the white flood is almost unnoticeable when WWH'ing, in actual use, it's undetectable

my X5s (i own 3, Gen 1-3) are absolutely reliable and sip power, I can always rely on them to produce usable light, even on depleted cells my A2 incan bulb is "done" with, i don't have to baby them (even though i do), they can stand up to anything short of a direct thermonuclear strike, rugged, solid, bulletproof lights that emit an incredibly useful flood of light, perfect for 80% of what i need a light for

my X1's (1 gen1, 2 gen2's) and CMG Infinity can also be relied on for a nice long runtime, and a nice wide flood of light, my Infinity is an original Cyan model, and i roughed up the LED with a little 000 steel wool and a green scotchbrite pad to smooth out the ringy cyan beam, it now puts out a flawless cyan flood, and runs forever on whatever AA's i can scrounge up to feed it, from brand new Lithium AA's to ancient carbon-zinc cells, it's a simple, bombproof design that....just....works

And my new favorite, my Arc AAA-P, it puts out the same amount of light as my Inova X1 Gen2's, and fits unobtrusively on a keyring, however, it's too nice to relegate to keyring duty, so i've got it hanging from a spare SureFire lanyard around my neck, hey, it was cheap (free) and durable, I'm still looking for an inexpensive stainless or titanium chain to hang it from my neck on, as the SureFire lanyard is a little bulky

I need to order a couple more Arc AAA's though, a Standard to put on my keyring, and another Premium to keep as a backup.....

Yes, the Überemitters are nice, no questions, but don't count out the little ol' 5MM, it still has potential, and it's a heck of a lot more battery efficient than the SuperEmitters, and when i actually sit down and think about it, i actually use my 5MM lights more than my Überemitter lights, for me, floody beams are far more useful than throw, if i want throw, i have my A2's incan beam, or my MagCharger, for my purposes, the wide, floody beam and superior battery efficiency of a 5MM device fits my needs better

to quote the Old Man from the "Bring out your Dead" skit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

"I'm not dead, I'm getting better, I think I'll go for a walk..."

Don't count the 5MM out yet, it still has potential for long-running battery sippers or flooders

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this is coming from a PC tech, but anyway :naughty:, I agree! In fact, most good 5MM LED's are just as efficient as the new high power LED's, so...... :)

Dave

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly still use my Eternalight consistently and you'll find plenty of recommendations for the Proton whom many prefer over a single Lux or equivalent LED output.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Yep, I like these lil' devils and have at least a dozen of them including my first LED light ... the Minimag with the 3-LED Nite-Ize module. :)

Can't beat 'em for draining almost-dead batteries and for navigating around your home in the dead of night.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh yes, the Eternalight, another great classic, a little wide for EDC, but still useful, and the strobe is just plain fun to use, i have a little "Industrial style" 9" desk fan, and i'll turn it on sometimes just to freeze the blade motion with the ErgoMarine's strobe

For mine, I cut out the original LEDs and replaced them with the newer Nichia CS's. You're right a little wide for EDC, but it feels good in the hand, plus being flat has it's advantages such as using for a camping reading light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got plenty of Luxeons and Crees, but the lights I'm carrying presently are all 5 mm LEDs (Proton, E0, and Arc AAA).

Geoff

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
I agree. The 5 mm's are not spectacular, but they are my most used lights (Infinity; E0; Arc-P). Roughly 5-10 Lumen will do the job most of the time, and there is no reason why you wouldn't have one (or two; or three) of them always on your person.

Kees

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try those 5mm button cell flashlights you get free from lighthound for each order. They are the whitest of all 5mm I've ever seen. Plus they are so small they ride on your keychain.

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
One of my favorite lights is the Dorcy 3 led aa model. I replaced the stock 5mm leds with jeleds . Luckily I bought a few as they are hard to find now. Long runtime with more output than the gerber infinity ultra.

Luminescent

Enlightened
One of my favorite lights is the Dorcy 3 led aa model. I replaced the stock 5mm leds with jeleds . Luckily I bought a few as they are hard to find now. Long runtime with more output than the gerber infinity ultra.

I hate to be a sour note in the symphony of praise for the 5mm lights, but I find myself using them less and less now that I have a couple nice luxeon and CREE lights.

I don't mind keeping a coin-cell 5mm light on my keychain, but that's about it.

I am a real stickler for a clean white circle of light, so for example, when I got my Dorcy 3 LED single AA light, I actually bought about 4 of them and gave 3 away as gifts, keeping the one with the whitest most uniformly white beam pattern.

My Jetbeam C-LE did cost about 3 times as much, but I didn't have to buy 4 of them to get an absolutely perfect beam with a flawlessly white perfect circle of light, so it was quite a bargain compared to the Dorcy (at least from my perspective).

Sure the little Dorcy 3 LED 5mm led light has good run times, but my C-LE is MUCH better because it has a low mode that puts out about the same light level as the Dorcy, but does it for 24 HOURS or more with MUCH better beam quality and color.

Let's run it down . . .

Compared to my Dorcy 3 LED 1 AA light, my Jetbeam C-LE is a lot smaller, has a tougher HAIII anodized finish, has more than 10 times the light output when you need it, 4 or 5 times the runtime when you need it, and a perfectly uniform white beam pattern.

The little Dorcy 3 LED 1AA light was fine in it's day, but I think it's just about time for it to follow it's brothers (as a nice give away gift to one of my friends).

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need good 5mm LEDs that can match the color temperature and color rendition of the best high-power LEDs. Most of the 5mm I've been able to get my hands on are MUCH bluer and nastier, and have less useful beam patterns than my Liteflux LF2 (with Cree) on its lowest setting. Even though the two are similar in terms of power draw and lumen output, the Cree based light is immensely more useful in real life. The biggest advantage of course with the LF2 is that with another quarter-twist of the head of the light, I can have over 100 lumens of output if I need it. For things like trying to find lost keys in the dark, having that capability on-hand at any moment is awesome, even though over 90% of the time I use the lower level.

I believe the biggest problem with the high-power LEDs is that as efficiency has improved, most attention has been paid to higher brightness (a better selling point) and not enough lights are out that have low levels -- only a few lumens. Higher brightness is great, but I generally don't need both high brightness and long runtime. For medium-sized lights (ie, 1x18650 form factor) I actually prefer 10W/3.7V incandescent over as opposed to 3W LEDs with comparable brightness -- because in reality I almost never use lights that size for more than an hour between recharges anyway (and If I need to, carrying extra batteries is no problem at all), and incan still has the advantage in color rendition.

Until we start to see LEDs with much better color rendition (ie, between 3500 and 4500K color temp with multiple phosphors), I will continue using incandescent for all but my smallest (ie, keychain sized) lights. I also would like to see 5mm LED have the same improvements in color temp, yet still be available as dirt cheap components.

Last edited:

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
5mm Garbage

5mm LED's are the worst of all common semiconductor lights.

I've seen lots of 5mm's fail due to bad design and flawed (or non-existent) heat sinking, if not outright mis-engineered wiring or circuits.

a Power emitter is also MORE efficient than most 5mm, as they have a better thermal path and more tolerant design -- they last longer as well.

Also power LEDs can have a better color temperature, and often do put a 'better' quality of light.

The future certainly ISN'T 5mm LED's.

However they are cheap as dirt, and usually work as intended.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5mm Garbage

.... However they are cheap as dirt, and usually work as intended.

5mm LEDs are the only choice for inexpensive ($1 - $3) keychain lights so they will remain in use for a while longer.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5mm Garbage

I've seen lots of 5mm's fail due to bad design and flawed (or non-existent) heat sinking, if not outright mis-engineered wiring or circuits.

a Power emitter is also MORE efficient than most 5mm, as they have a better thermal path and more tolerant design -- they last longer as well.
Agreed. The only reason why 5mm LEDs are perceived as "better" in this case is that light manufacturers using the power LEDs have generally not provided a very low level as an option. In cases where such an option does exist though, as in my LF2, the power LEDs dramatically outperform 5mm LEDs. Of course the market for people willing to spend $40 for a keychain light is fairly small (even though as much as I use mine, the cost has been well worth it).

However they are cheap as dirt, and usually work as intended.
Yep, the only reason I would like to see the 5mm LEDs also come out with better color temp/color rendition is so I could use them in giveaway coin-cell lights without spending more than a few cents on each.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have several Peak McKinleys in SS and brass, tough as nails and provide a nice flood. Also a few X5's ditto. Energizer folding camplights too. They all work well.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gave some 10 mm keychain lights to some relatives this last weekend and they were impressed! One compared it to a older version green LED keychain light and could not believe the difference.

And yes, 5 mm LED do still have a purpose. I have many of them. I would like to see some 10 mm LED clulster lights just to compare.