Looking for an LED flashlight

ganled

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking to get a good LED flashlight. I want a Surefire L4 but I have a lot of important questions, if you don't mind, before I buy it.

Is it a good flashlight? Has anybody had problems with one? Is it worth its price tag?

How do I tell what generation the flaslight is from? How can I tell if the dealer is selling me an older generation of flashlight?

Is Surefire going to release a new L4 soon? When was there last update of it?

Surefire claims that the L4 puts out 100 lumens. When you buy LEDs by bin they can vary by luminous power. Good bins have a minimum output guarantee. How accurate is Surefire's claim? Can I get a 90 lm or a 110 lm L4?

Who supples the LEDs for the L4? Is it a Phillips, a Cree, or someone else?

Why does Surefire limit there light output 100 lumens? I've seen LED flashlights that claim to put out more than 120 lumens. I know that people make leds that can be efficient and put out 175+ lumens.

If I buy a Surefire, is there a source of good and cheep CR123s that I can buy? Brand name CR123s are extremely expensive.

How good is the G2 LED and 6P LED? They claim 80 lumens for 12 or 11 hours. This seems unrealistic. Are these things regulated? I don't think that you are able to put out a constant 80 lumens for 11 hours with modern electronics.

How good is Cree's 80 lumen flashlight? It is only $30.

How good is the L1? Does it really have problems? Does it have a wide beam compared to other Surefires?

How good is the L2?

Does the L4 have a wide beam compared to other surefires? Is there a place to look up beam shapes?

-Thanks

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a good flashlight? -Yes.

Has anybody had problems with one? -Sure but it's generally very reliable.

Is it worth its price tag? -Personal decision.

How do I tell what generation the flaslight is from? How can I tell if the dealer is selling me an older generation of flashlight?
-Don't recall. Buy from a dealer with a lot of turnover.

Is Surefire going to release a new L4 soon? When was there last update of it? -Unknown x 2

Surefire claims that the L4 puts out 100 lumens. When you buy LEDs by bin they can vary by luminous power. Good bins have a minimum output guarantee. How accurate is Surefire's claim? Can I get a 90 lm or a 110 lm L4?
Who supples the LEDs for the L4? Is it a Phillips, a Cree, or someone else?
-More accurate than any other 100L claim. Yes - output is typically 100L, not guaranteed. Phillips/Lumiled/Luxeon.

Why does Surefire limit there light output 100 lumens? I've seen LED flashlights that claim to put out more than 120 lumens. I know that people make leds that can be efficient and put out 175+ lumens.
-Until recently SF only used Luxeon LED's which effectively maxxed out at 100L or had massive efficiency losese above that. Also, SF makes major $$ on high output incans and bulbs and likely wasn't in a rush to threaten that.

If I buy a Surefire, is there a source of good and cheep CR123s that I can buy? Brand name CR123s are extremely expensive.
-We sell Panasonics for $1.50 each or less - Panasonic makes Surefire CR123A's and elmost every other 'made in the USA' brand: http://batteryjunction.com/1pcencr3voph.html

How good is the G2 LED and 6P LED? They claim 80 lumens for 12 or 11 hours. This seems unrealistic. Are these things regulated? I don't think that you are able to put out a constant 80 lumens for 11 hours with modern electronics.
-So far they seem like definite winners. I think about 1/2 of that runtime will be at full output.

How good is Cree's 80 lumen flashlight? It is only $30.
-No personal experience but you can buy an excellent, well reviewed LumaPower LM303 for $33.25 after coupon http://batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm303.html

-How good is the L1? Does it really have problems? Does it have a wide beam compared to other Surefires?
-Excellent. Yes, but the fixed/revised version will be avil. in 2-3 weeks. Compared to WHICH SF?

How good is the L2? - Excellent - an L4 with 2 output levels - but bigger.

Does the L4 have a wide beam compared to other surefires? Is there a place to look up beam shapes?
-er I guess - think wall of light, good short range light, lousy throw.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Try Flashlight reviews for Beamshots. The Surefire L4 and L2 (both Luxeon V) have a wide beam while the new Cree L1 has a narrower beam. The Surefire L4 gets very hot if left on for more then 10 minutes.

Titanium CR123 batteries are only $1 at AmondoTec.

Surefire grades minimal output, so their lights should have at least the stated output.

There are many Cree/Seoul lights that provide the same or more lumens then the Surefire L4 at a much lower price. Heck, even a $30 Cree light like this one(one of many) from Dealextreme creates approximately the same amount of lumens as the L4, but with a different beam pattern(Narrow VS wide). Of course, durability and customer service is nowhere close to Surefire's.

Cree's own LED light is pretty good, but it is similar to the Ultrafire C3, which is also cheaper.

Many LED lights(especially eBay sellers) claim at the emitter lumens, which are lower then out the front lumens, which is what Surefire rates(out the front lumens).

IMO, i's not worth getting the L4 unless you really need one. It's a good light, but there are other and maybe better alternatives.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Surefire lights are great. To me, they are worth it. To others, they see other lights that suit their needs just fine for less money. I am happy for them. However, the L4 uses older technology, which makes me somewhat hesitant to recommend it. As it stand alone it is still a good light but you can do better now. Personally I think that the Cree-based E2L is the "best" LED light that Surefire is selling, but the new G2L and 6PL certainly have potential. I have not tried or read much about the new G2L/6PL yet, so I couldn't recommend it either. But if they live up to their specs (they should) they could be fantastic lights.

In any case, stick with brand name cells. You can get brand cells for decent prices anyhow. Non-brand name cells can be dangerous and possibly explosive. I would not risk it.