Fenix P2D Q5 Vs. Novatac 120P (Beamshots)

digitaleos

Enlightened
Both pictures were taken on the same manual settings. Distance to the shed is 80 feet. The shed itself is 10'x15' and at the highest point is 7'. The P2D has the OP reflector and a fresh Surefire Cr123, it was set on Turbo mode. The 120P has an AW RCR123, and was set on maximum of 120 lumens.

Fenix P2D Q5

Novatac 120P

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
3.0v vs 4.2v: that's not fair. and yet, the P2D holds it's own. the novatac has more spill but the P2D has a more focused, brighter hot spot.

xiaowenzu

Banned
WHOAA!! The 120 Lumen Novatac absolutely SMOKES the Fenix P2D! Look at the grass in the Novatac shot - it lights up like a christmas tree on fire! :twothumbs Then look at the whole shed... the Novatac is clearly brighter from end to end. So the P2D Q5 is rated at erm... '150' Lumens? :whistle::laughing:

Last edited:

curtis22

Enlightened
The larger file size of the Novatec .jpg means that it has more detail. That's a pretty good non-subjective way to judge that it is brighter.

digitaleos

Enlightened
Yeah, I agree the 3.0 volts against 4.2 volts isn't exactly fair. Tomorrow I get my L1 Cree back from Surefire. I'll do some more shots with all three, this time I'll use primaries in all three lights.

ensile

Enlightened
just out of curiosity, what is the bin of the q5 used in the p2d ??

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I agree the 3.0 volts against 4.2 volts isn't exactly fair. Tomorrow I get my L1 Cree back from Surefire. I'll do some more shots with all three, this time I'll use primaries in all three lights.

Looking forward to the pictures with the L1 Cree.

thanks

Curtis

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way the Novatac regulates I don't think you'll find much difference in brightness if any between the two batteries. Most other flashlights I have seem to show a big difference with RCR123's but IIRC I don't see that with the Novatac or HDS lights I've got. I'll have to verify that for myself but that's what I recall observing at this point.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way the Novatac regulates I don't think you'll find much difference in brightness if any between the two batteries. Most other flashlights I have seem to show a big difference with RCR123's but IIRC I don't see that with the Novatac or HDS lights I've got. I'll have to verify that for myself but that's what I recall observing at this point.

That's now entirely true. Chevrofreak did runtime graphs for the 120P and found that it is around 10-15 lumens brighter with a RCR than with a primary lithium.

http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Novatac EDC-120P beta/Novatac EDC-120 Beta - Max.jpg

Nice pics by the way. I have a Q2 special edition P2D that I want to mod with a Q5 when they become a little more reasonably priced.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
what i'm getting here is fenix 150 lumens.Novatac 120 lumens hmm.seems the fenix has let it self down IMO. and who really cares if i want high lumens.i go to my wiseled tactical.LOL 800 lumens.so you can see i dont really care the novatac wins hands down for me in other ways.JMO

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at Chevrofreak's graph it looks like all 3 batteries start out within 5 lumens of each other - which is not likely perceptible by the eye. After a 5 or so minutes it looks like one of the RCR's actually goes up in brightness - rather odd but maybe it is heating up and thus putting out a little more power. But they soon come back within a few Lumens of each other. On other lights I have I usually see a big difference between the two types of batteries so I'm sure the Novatac is adjusting for the different types much better than other lights. It's not a big concern but I'm interested in trying this test myself - just don't have a light meter yet.

z-b-i

Newly Enlightened
I think for the Fenix shot, the flashlight is pointed on the upper half or the top of the door. And the Novatac right in the middle of the door, hence more spill on the grass.

I'm sure, in real use there's not much difference between them.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Digitaleos ,
In your picts the P2D hot spot seems to be centered on the upper right corner of the door.
While the 120P hot spot is centered just above the door knob.
This makes a huge difference in the results of the pictures.

I tried to take some beamshots of L2D and 120P and I ran into the same problem you have in your photos. I couldn't get the beams pointed at the same spot. I have outdoor shots of the same light and just a small angle adjustment makes the lights look completely different. I think its pretty hard, any tips from the pros?

davidt

Enlightened
Digitaleos ,
In your picts the P2D hot spot seems to be centered on the upper right corner of the door.
While the 120P hot spot is centered just above the door knob.
This makes a huge difference in the results of the pictures.

I tried to take some beamshots of L2D and 120P and I ran into the same problem you have in your photos. I couldn't get the beams pointed at the same spot. I have outdoor shots of the same light and just a small angle adjustment makes the lights look completely different. I think its pretty hard, any tips from the pros?

When i first looked at the photos I thought the centering of the beam seem to be different in the two pictures. I could be wrong I'll wait and see what the original poster has to say.

digitaleos

Enlightened
I did notice the beams were off from each other. I tried to hold the light steady while I took the pics, but at 80' it doesn't take much of a movement to move the hotspot a few feet.:oops: When I take the new pictures with the L1, I'll set the lights on something as opposed to just holding them.:nana:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also going to say the P2D's hot spot looks higher than the Novatec's, resulting in less spill on the ground, and more of the P2D's beam going into space. It would be a more fair comparision to put a primary in both lights. Also I believe Novatec is claiming 120 lumens out the front, I'm sure their lumens at the emitter is higher than 120. For the Fenix P2D, I'm not sure what the rating is with a Q5, but if it's 150 lumens at the emitter, it would probably be putting out around 110-120 out the front.

Also I thought this was pretty funny:

3.0v vs 4.2v: that's not fair. and yet, the P2D holds it's own. the novatac has more spill but the P2D has a more focused, brighter hot spot.

WHOAA!! The 120 Lumen Novatac absolutely SMOKES the Fenix P2D! Look at the grass in the Novatac shot - it lights up like a christmas tree on fire! :twothumbs Then look at the whole shed... the Novatac is clearly brighter from end to end. So the P2D Q5 is rated at erm... '150' Lumens? :whistle::laughing:

They look about the same too me, especially if we can confirm the beam shots weren't centered.

bee-man

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the post. This is very useful to me because I've been thinking about selling my P2Dq2 for a 120p. According to your shots, the difference in brightness is not enough to make me jump on the bandwagon... yet.