Help With Lamp ID

eidolen

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I've been a member here for some time now but haven't posted yet. There is just so much information here that I fear anything I could post about would have already been covered. So for the most part I've spent my time just reading, reading, laughing, reading, gasping, cheering, and more reading. Well I think I've finally found a legitimate reason to post.

I picked up what appears to be a projector lamp from my local surplus store and have struck out in trying to ID it. Google gave 2 hits from the same source which happens to be yet another surplus military supplier. The site only lists the model number with no other useful information. I also attempted to find something similar at Donsbulbs.com by trying to match up the filament type or socket type but wasn't very successful. Ebay wasn't very helpful either.

So now I call upon torch gods for any scraps of insight you might bestow upon this humble disciple. Following is all the information I could muster.

4" OD (to the very outside of the mounting lip of the lamp)
I can take other measurements if needed

Markings Stamped on:
HS200AR16-ST (Model #)
030729 0517 (no idea)
Made in Japan (insert witty remark here)

Hand written in permanent ink:
0924-75 (Date?)
72400 (no idea)

The logo is the letter "M" with the legs of the M turned in toward the center at the bottom enclosed within a rounded corner square.

I was hoping to use this in either a home made LCD projector or even a handheld torch if it is suited as such. The store where I bought it had a dozen or so of these and it only cost $4 so it's no huge loss if I can't get it going. The aluminum mounting flange and the spring loaded knurled mounting bolts were well worth the cost if all else fails.

I am "guessing" from the model number that it might be a 200 watt lamp. Of course the biq question is the voltage. If I can't find the actual specs for this lamp I was at least hoping to find out what type of lamp it is and if this lamp type can be experimented with to figure it out. Safety is my utmost concern and I know from other threads that there are lamps that you just don't experiment on blindly. I'd love to harvest the collimator from this at the very least as it looks like it would make a great piece to experiment with but not at the cost of a nuclear explosion from some pressurized flesh eating gases that might be in there.

Anyway I will put my hopes and ambitions aside until I can get some expert advice. I don't want to be a statistic or a Darwin Award nominee anytime soon let alone an example of what not to do in a CPF sticky thread.

Best Regards,
Eidolen

BulbFront.JPG

BulbID.JPG

I can post more or full resolution pictures if needed.

eidolen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for the reply. I did as you said but I couldn't find anything similiar at all. The closest thing I've found so far was listed as "lcd/video/data projector light bulb lamp". Here is a picture of my closest match so far, and a better view of the rear of my lamp. Once again thanks and am open to any leads.

Eidolen

Front View

BulbRear2.JPG

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably got yourself some type of Ultra High Efficiency short arc or Ultra High Pressure mercury vapor projector bulb. This type of bulb is normally used for LCD or DLP projectors or projection TVs.

The "Made in Japan" and the "M" logo definitely means that this lamp is made by the Japanese electronics firm, Matsushita. It was probably used in a Panasonic LCD projector.

Cigarman

Enlightened
This definitely has given me an idea for a project. I scored a ballast from ebay for a samsung model for .99 (so far) Just have to figure out what the ballast takes for an input voltage. :devil:

warischalk

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

This is a shot in the dark, but I need one of those Hs200 ar16 st lamps. Any idea where I can get one? I know this is a post from 2 years ago, but I figured, why not give it a try.

Thanks,

Nick

eidolen

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

This is a shot in the dark, but I need one of those Hs200 ar16 st lamps. Any idea where I can get one? I know this is a post from 2 years ago, but I figured, why not give it a try.

Thanks,

Nick

I sent Nick reply when I saw this but it seems he found another source or hasn't checked his PMs lately. I still do have this bulb and have yet tried to fire it up as I still don't know the bulbs requirements. If anyone else might know how I can check this bulb I would still be interested to find out.

Cheers,
Eidolen