Walking light for Mom

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
So Mom just had her 60th birthday and loves to walk every morning at 6. Usually it is dark. She lives in the NW in the woods....no street lights. Right now her edc is a AA mag. I want a simple pocket light that runs on 123's or AA,AAA. Also I think a click switch would be best--nothing complicated. I like the Amilite T5 so that is one idea....also the fenix P1-CE is nice but no clickie. Any other thoughts?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I would recommend against a light that uses 123 batteries for her. Unless she's into ordering them online cheap, that are just too expensive in B & M stores. Since she's used to a MiniMag, you may want to still consider simple twisties. Maybe a L2P, L2S, or L2T. Uses common AA, and gives option of low or high modes, without a confusing user interface.

FredM

Enlightened
P1 CE

Cheap bright and no learning curve. Avoid digital or multi level lights.

Do not avoid Cr123 because you can just give her 20 of them and it will last for years.

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Here North of 60 where the December nights are 19 hours long, most of us use generic $4 2xAAA red bike winkie lights as marked lights for people and dogs; they can also be clicked to steady on if you need to look for something without ruining your night vision. Amber/White versions are much brighter and run about $8 Canadian. A simple sash of white Scotchlight reflective tape worn like a bandolier is also popular and cheap; but nothing beats a winkie light!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
She's 60? She ain't old. Ask her what she wants or let her play with a couple of your lights as see what she likes.

When she's 80, then you can "help" by figuring out what's best.

paulr

Flashaholic
My mom is somewhat older than 60 and she has trouble with click switches and prefers twisties. I gave her a Princeton Tec Blast a while back (2aaa incandescent twisty) and she loved it, but maybe it's time to get her something more modern.

I agree with those who say AA is the best choice of battery. In other regards the P1CE is great.

Anyway how about a Fenix L1P or equivalent? There's that new MTE one but you may have to clean the threads first.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I gave Dad a P3D-CE for his Birthday with a waterproof case loaded with 30 123's when they run out I will buy them some more! Letting Mom check mine out would be fine except she lives around 1,800 miles as a crow fly's to the North! As suggested I do like the fenix line....

supes

Enlightened
Since she is EDCing a AA mag. Why not upgrade what she is use to using with better light?

About one of those Terralux Seoul upgrades for the maglite? 5X or something at Lighthound?

Either that or one of Peak's LED AA with a 2AA body extension for longer run time, they've got new Seoul LEDs in their lights. Website is hell to navigate, but the forums are helpful.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If she's used to a 2AA Mini-Mag, might be best to just get an LED drop-in for it.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
What about the Pentagon Molle Light? The on/off button on the top is very user friendly.

lumenal

Enlightened
MagLED (AA sized) may be the way to go.

But don't get the 2AA. It will just blink out when the batteries get low. Kind of like, from full blast to completely dark, in a matter of a second or two.

On the other hand, the 3AA MagLED is a real battery squeezer. It will continue to put out light for a very long time, without blinking out and leaving you stuck in the dark.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the Maglite recommendation as well as sticking to AA's. As mentioned, a drop-in for her mag may be a good way to go since she is already using one. If she wants to change then maybe even go with an L2T (old or new version) for the simple 2 stage. I know a light with a UI would not be appropriate for my mom but yours may be keen on it.

txmatt

Enlightened
I'll be the contrarian and suggest a Streamlight Propoly 4AA Lux. It's a classic light, couldn't be simpler to use, and is less expensive than all the Fenix's mentioned. I also think the PP is more comfortable to hold than an in-line 2xAA light. And while not nearly as bright/efficient as the Fenix Crees, the PP4AA Lux stomps the L2DCE in runtime if the user will only use the Fenix in Turbo mode. The PP4AA Lux also runs much better on Alkaline AA's than the Fenix's in Turbo mode.

I've got about 4 Fenix's but wouldn't give one to a non-techie. If it's a clickie Fenix Cree, what mode do you leave it in (Turbo/Strobe I'm guessing since a single click gets bright light as expected)? If they bump the switch and it changes brightness or into a flashing mode, will they remember how to tap the button to toggle back to the first mode? If the head accidentally gets turned, are they gonna know why the light is so dim (came on in low mode)? If left in one mode and they learn mode changes for that mode, when the head gets accidentally twisted, will they then be confused because there's more or less modes to cycle through?

Keep it simple - Streamlight Propoly 4AA Lux.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since your willing to supply batteries the P2D might be a good choice.A very pocketable light with great performance unless you think she will not like the UI.If throw is not a requirement the INOVA X5 is pretty decent but it is not a clickie.I really don't like putting alkaline batteries in lights over $20 as they have a tendency to leak from time to time and the light often still works with leaky batteries so you may not know unless you actually open the light and check.As far as lithiums are concerned CR123s are the cheapest.