Perseids meteor shower best tonight and tommorrow

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just about to head out into the country now, being in the UK we'll get this 5-9 hours earlier so will report back before I go to bed.

It's beautifully cloudless right now, which believe me doesn't happen often - just hope it lasts!

Last edited:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wife and I were out last night from about midnight to 2am, and saw 15-20 per hour or so. Tonight should be even better, if it stays clear we'll be back out again. We live out in the country so I just turn off our security light and we go out to our back yard.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the reminder, Lee. I think I caught one out of the corner of my eye last night. Maybe the mosquitos won't be too bad.

Geoff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I usually hit the sack around 9:30pm PDT, and they just installed a new high pressure sodium vapour light (est. ~400W) in the courtyard last night, so it looks like I'll be SOL. :green:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had to call it a night early as I have an early start in the morning, so will miss the peak activity due 0200 UTC. However still managed to catch 9 or 10 long tails and numerous smaller ones.

Was out in the country but there was a small town on the horizon so the dim glow of the sodium lights became a glowing fire on a 60 sec exposure - came home with little in the way of photographs. Best of luck to all you guys and hope you get to see some real fireworks.

Goodnight :sleepy:.

Hodsta

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone catch any tonight? I'm in Eastern PA and I saw two before the clouds rolled in. :( Not sure if they clouds will be gone before the sun starts to rise.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
We were out last night from about 10pm-midnight, and then the clouds started to roll in. Since the peak around here was supposed top be around 1-3am, we decided to call it a night. Saw a dozen or so before packing it in. Oh well, there is always the Orionids shower in October, the Leonids in November, and the Geminids in December.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually hit the sack around 9:30pm PDT, and they just installed a new high pressure sodium vapour light (est. ~400W) in the courtyard last night, so it looks like I'll be SOL. :green:

You didn't miss much LED. Too much light pollution in the Big Sac. The Misses and I where in Natomas (by the Arco Arena) and saw maybe 6 per hour.

I got to play with my new NovaTac though! Hmmm, maybe thats why I didn't see very many falling stars.

kelmo

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm glad I didn't miss much. :)
The only time I saw any significant number of meteors was during the Leonid meteor storm (and it was a "storm" too, not just a "shower") of...I believe...2001.

leonid3.jpg

This is a photograph I managed to come up with on the morning of 11-18-01.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should still be some tonight, and who knows, if they missed the peak time it could be tonight. We have much clearer skies here in eastern PA tonight so I'm going to give it another try.