E2e in Haz Loc?

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if the E2e, with or without the KL1, can safely be used in a hazardous location, such as a combustible gas environment? Electronics that can are ID'd either on the unit or in manual.

Thanks for any info.

WaltH

Enlightened
I would not use a metal flashlight of any type in that environement, too much a possibility of sparks should you drop it. Plastic only. Make sure it's rated for the environment you're working in.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
<font color="red">I would never guess about it or depend on "hearsay"...may be your last "guess"!</font>

Any torch that I have ever used in flammable/explosive environments was marked "approved" for such and if I had questions, would verify with manufacturer prior to entry into such enviroments.

logical

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
<font color="red">I would never guess about it or depend on "hearsay"...may be your last "guess"!</font>

Any torch that I have ever used in flammable/explosive environments was marked "approved" for such and if I had questions, would verify with manufacturer prior to entry into such enviroments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just not go into such environments.

llvo

Enlightened
I am just curious: isn't it 'waterproof' = 'safe' to use in haz environment?

and, how about if the o-ring of a 'haz rated' light is not properly lubed???

Be safe...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also depends on the power source, switch mechanism, etc...I don't think any SF's are rated for HAZMAT Environments.

--dan

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
logical said:
I would just not go into such environments.

[/ QUOTE ]

--------------------
Aside from my 21 years in the U.S. Air Force, I spent about 7 years in "hazardous material/spill management, hazardous waste classification, treatment, storage, & disposal, & first responder situations"...lots of chemistry, "rocket science", and team work - I loved it!

I used that training and certification to do my job, which included responding, entering, testing, neutralizing, & disposing of the left over "gunk". It had it's "exciting" moments - but all of the training, certs, & planning rendered positive - safe results. "Knock on wood", the worst exposure that I ever experienced was carbon monoxide on a 4-wheeler that had a faulty exhaust system...oh and maybe the asbestos they say I have in both lungs (but that's another longer story)!

I depended on serviceable/certified equipment...keep in mind, I don't think any of my experiences hold a candle to what full & part time firefighters, LEOs, & paramedics go through...Hats off, total respect, and salutes to them (as well as <font color="blue">"THANK YOU"</font>)!</font>

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Aside from my 21 years in the U.S. Air Force...

I depended on serviceable/certified equipment...keep in mind, I don't think any of my experiences hold a candle to what full & part time firefighters, LEOs, & paramedics go through...Hats off, total respect, and salutes to them (as well as "THANK YOU"!)

[/ QUOTE ]

21 years? Geez, Sigman, I think we should be thanking YOU!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hi guys'

Most flashlights that are sold worldwide as being 'intrinsically safe' will forfill your needs. However please be aware that the usual batteries for these types of lights are not Alkaline, Lithium of lead acid powered.

As a Uk Paramedic I have researched this quite thoroughly and was disaapointed by the lack of safety standards which apply. Apparently the Maritime safety rules (which are very precise and prescriptive) are the ones which would give the best protection in all environments that could ever be encountered.

If you want anymore help please ask.

Regards

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm not familiar with any standards outside the U.S. (rusty as it is for sure anyway!) and would have to delve into the books/Code of Federal Regulations to find out the details...We have some pretty stringent standards in the United States on this.

I'm holding in my hands an Eveready No. 1259 2D cell torch that's approved for Class 1, Groups C & D and Class 2 Group G...says to only replace batteries with 1.5 volt Carbon Zinc or Alkaline, tested in methane air mixtures (there's a whole procedure for that with required percentages by volume of the explosive gases, etc...) - Approved by the U.S. Dept of Labor and the Mining Safety and Health Administration...on and on and on...I don't believe the labelings are falsehoods?

This was just an inexpensive torch I grabbed off the shelf in the garage. I could get into namebrands that everyone would recongnize and that cost quite a bit more than this little 2D cell torch...I'm not an expert, but don't feel that there is a lack of safety standards on explosion proof flashlights in the United States...

Oh and don't forget the U.S. Bureau of Mines, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration...and who knows who else. There's got to be some firefighters here at the CPF that are much more current than I.

But I don't believe a SureFire E2 is "approved" for hazardous locations...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
PieThatCorner, Thank you - Thank a Vet - Thank a Public Servant...This nation is a team (and some tend to forget that! Oh how I say that sooo calmly with mere black & white typed font, don't get me started!) and it takes us all!

Think we should send some explosion proof flashlights to the U.S. citizens who want to be "human shields" in Iraq?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
No Lithium in Haz Loc

Hello pyramus,

I have a Pelican L1 that comes with some safety ratings. I noticed that the ratings only apply when the alkaline LR44 batteries are installed. If you change to the lithium SR44 batteries, the rating is void.

When I enter into hazardous areas, I have the plant supply "approved" lighting for me and I inspect it prior to use.

Tom

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
Re: No Lithium in Haz Loc

Called Sure Fire today and, NO they are not rated for Class l Division 1 hazardous locations, even with the KL1. I think this is useful info for this forum. I'm still going to carry my E2e but will leave it off when gas is blowing. Thanks for the input.