Streamlight Stinger or Polystinger

BeeSee

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a good rechargeable flashlight for general home and car use. My research to date has shown that the Streamlight Stinger series is the best for this use.

Question I have for the experts on this forum is - Should I go for the regular metal case Stinger of the plastic Polystinger?

Any thought and ideas would be appreciated.

WaltH

Enlightened
I think it's personal preference. I went for the poly version because it's cheaper and it will be more shock resistant because of it's construction.

Being up north I think it would be warmer in the hand than a metal flashlight.

If you ever plan on upgrading to the HP version then you should get the metal stinger.

With that expense, you're very close to the cost of a Tigerlight which is MUCH brighter. Probably too bright for some things up close, and only comes with one charging cradle.

All this said, I have a polystinger in my car, and a Tigerlight at home.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I have the Stinger XT with a non-slip rubber grip on the housing. I've had it for a number of years, and besides a few dings and scratches, it's still running well - although my NiCD battery stick is holding out for about a 30 minute run-time. Other than that and a need to get a new NiCD battery, it's been a reliable flashlight. The Stinger XT is comparable in price to the regular Stinger, and has the same light output. But as Walt mentioned, it is of course, just a matter of personal preference. I think they're both quality products.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
-get the poly, cheaper and looks better after repeated use.

-if you're going to upgrade to HP, go aluminum or get the XT for the rubber grip to duplicate the performance of the poly.

walt makes a fine point about the tigerlight if you plan to upgrade. if you don't mind the little extra size and weight it has alot more light to offer.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Walt, it's personal preference to me. Personally I like the Stinger, but it really depends on what feels good for you (and what you are going to use it for). Personally I like the metal lights, but for some applications a poly light just seems to be a better choice for some people.

-Mike

Knife11

Newly Enlightened
the stinger hp is supposted to be three times as bright as the normal stinger and with the fast charger it can charge in 2.5 hours (which is why I choose it over the tigerlight)
If I didn't want that much light then I guess I'd go with the poly. My 0.02

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if you are considering the stinger, please look at the Stinger HP and Stinger XT HP.

Caddyshack

Newly Enlightened
The Poly Stinger was my first venture into 'quality' flashlights. I upgraded it to an HP as well but prefer the original head - the HP doesn't do anything for me except eliminate pants pocket carry. My Ultrastinger and Tigerlight are nice as well - but neither gets carried often due to size and lack of a lanyard on each. I don't think you can go wrong with a Poly Stinger..

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wolfen said:
Good batteries for the Streamlight Stinger series at a low price can be found here. I bought a bunch and haven't any complaints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Wolfen... those are pretty darn good prices. Generic or not, I'm ordering a pair and will give it a try. Thanks again for the post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif