Can you fit 4C's in a 3D mag?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried it yet, but yes.. supposedly it requires removing the spare bulb in the tail cap, reversing the spring, and possibly scratching off a bit of the anodizing from the inside of the tailcap so that the spring makes contact.... and either the pvc pipe, or I've read of folks just wrapping a piece of newpaper around the cells.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes of course you can!
this has been my first mod!!!!:devil:
I used a PVC tube but not the standard maglite spring...I found a spring that fitted perfectly inside the tailcap...
are you going to overdrive the 3D bulb or drive the 4D one?

iapyx

Enlightened
Be aware that li-ion rechargeables are a bit longer than standard c-cells. So if you plan to use those, you might need an extension ring (if it exists for a 3D)

tomL

Newly Enlightened
Reminds me of a simple mod I once did on a Chinese 3x3watt 3-D. I used PVC and removed the spring in order to use four c-size NiMH cells instead of three d-size alkalines. That brought the voltage (and current) to the LEDs up to spec and brightened things nicely (along with giving me a flat voltage curve).

Maybe I'll try this on my Mag 3-D and see what happens.

iapyx

Enlightened
why did I ever read this thread? Just built myself a 3D mag85 with 3x li-ions (11,1V) and now some cpf'er comes with the idea to fit 4 c-cells in a 3D. Does it ever stop? :shakehead I thought I'd be satisfied for a while but then I read threads about the beast, the torch, the maxblaster.

Ok, so the next step is 4 C-cells ( I surrender :sigh: )

Maybe this thread is about 4x1,5V c-cells in a 3D.
However I got interested now in 4x3,7V c-cells in a 3D. (li-ion)

questions:
#1. li-ion cells are slighty longer, anyone knows if 3 will fit in a 3D?
#2. will kiu's socket be enough to deal with the 14,1 Volt?
#3. what bulb will be the best in combination with 14,1 Volt?
(compared to the WA01185 in combination with 10,8-11,1V )

thanks cpf, and I promised myself not to spend any money for the next 6 months. :devil:

iapyx

Last edited:

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
sorry iapax!

i'm probably just going to put a malkoff in it and drive it on 4 c's... didn't want the length of a 4 d, don't need the run time either. a simple thrower, that's all. actually i may or may not keep the light. still have the wally world receipt...