Ion

batmanacw

Enlightened
I have been looking at the ion lights on the Fenix store website. Every time I have gono on that site I have asked one simple question. What does this upgrade do?
https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=311&osCsid=50945af31474ee8e489147651fbc8dbf

I am guessing that its an upgrade to make the light brighter, but how in the heck could the guy not answer a simple question? He specifies the upgrade as a Q5 bin QG tint. What would this put out in lumens? How long would the battery last? Does it get hot? What about the other two upgrades?

The Ion light would be very interesting if it had 100 lumens high with a good long run time on the lower setting. The stock 50 lumens is not bright enough to get me to buy it at $150.

I want to spend lots more money with this dude, but I cannot if he can't answer a simple question (after 3 requests). Maybe you guys can help me?

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
The Ion is not a Fenix light. The CR2 Ion was made be Photons Intl. and I'm not sure if the company is still in business. 4 sevens just has some of these for sale at the Fenix-Store. I'm sure someone will let you know if the Ion's are still being made.:p

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ion5

i don't have an ion but according to this review the ion lasts about 70 min on high with an energizer cr2 and did get hot.
i think the guy reviewing did not hold it in hand for the runtime.
with a good grip the light will have better heatsink.

on low he got around 40 hours and the light did not get hot.

as for the 3 different upgrades they are for different bins of the cree xr-e LED with the Q5 being the best around at the moment.
iirc, it was said that the ion has about 350mA on high, (with Q5) that should give you a little under the 100 lumens you were looking for.

the upgrade changes the emitter and runtime should not be affected.

i hope that helps.

batmanacw

Enlightened

That helps alot. I am still confused about why the guy at Fenix couldn't answer that question.

I would love to know what the low mode output is with that emitter. I am actually very interested in buying one, but maybe I should just buy a Raw ORB instead. The tougher anodized exterior is more appealing to me as it will see lots of use. The high is only going to be used for short times, but the low will get used quite a bit.

$240 is alot for a mini light.

Any better options for the same or less money with the same output?

lightsandknives

Enlightened

That helps alot. I am still confused about why the guy at Fenix couldn't answer that question.

I would love to know what the low mode output is with that emitter. I am actually very interested in buying one, but maybe I should just buy a Raw ORB instead. The tougher anodized exterior is more appealing to me as it will see lots of use. The high is only going to be used for short times, but the low will get used quite a bit.

$240 is alot for a mini light.

Any better options for the same or less money with the same output?

The CR-2 Ion is one of my absolute favorite lights. The low is very low and it's a beautiful flood beam which is great for working up close. The high is still floody with almost no hotspot and will light up a room. Great little torch!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Buy a stock Ion, if available. Mine is just great, and I don't need the brightness that a Cree upgrade with offer. High output is not 50 lumens, more like 30 or so, but it does light up a room, sort of like a mini KL4. I would not mod mine.

Bill

batmanacw

Enlightened
The only real reason to buy a little tiny flashlight like that for that much money is for the stunning amount of light that can come out of it. The Raw Orb can be bought with a 120/15 lumen led. I really don't need another better than average key chain light. I want a blistering amount of light in a very small package.

My Fenix LOD CE is doing great in the role of key chain flash light. Buying this one would no be worth it if it doesn't have the mind blowing gadget factor!

I may just have to order the RAW.

Where can I order them in the US? Should I just order them from their website? Whats a pound going for these days?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • exclusivity
  • extremely small
  • cheap
  • good quality
  • extremely bright
  • long running
:thinking:
Maybe what You are searching for just does not exist?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
batmanacw, you are new to CPF. Welcome. What would be good is for you to start doing some real searching and find out what you need to know that way. We can help you, but it will be of more value to you and you will get a better education if you search around on CPF for info.

Bill

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Cree upgraded Ion and it is by far my favorite light. It goes with me everywhere on my keychain.

Not sure where the 100 lumens figure came from but the one I have was tested at LSI at 46 Lumens. The light I have has one of the early Crees so I'm sure the newer Crees are a little brighter Still at 46 lumens this little light is very impressive. I wouldn't leave home without it.

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
I put a Cree Q5 in mine and I know it must be putting out at least 80 lumens. It does not get anything but warm with the Q5 either. The increased efficiency is making itself felt in this reguard. I have some 1/8 inch permanent magnets glued into the back of mine and, when stuck to a metal surface in use, the light stays much cooler still. The magnets also hold the battery down in the tube, so I do not need the little cheesy ring of foam either.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
CodeOFLight, how does Ion with Cree Q5 compare to the stock beam. Fairly bright center beam?

Bill

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
The beam is flood at anything beyond about 8 feet away. There is a brighter center and it is well defined, but it is quite large. I would say it is around the middle third of the width. The bright spot is like a severely rounded off square. It is not quite circular. I bought the light as an original Ion. I had 4sevens do the cree upgrade to a P3 a while back. I ordered the Q5 from him and did this one myself. It is not hard with a good soldering iron. I love the tint, and the beam pattern. I would not go back. I like the fact that the low is just about what I want in light, and the high will light the room up. It might even be more than 80 lumens, as I think the Ion runs at 350ma. This would mean a Q5 output minimum of 107 lumens. (I think, correct me if I am wrong). The "out the front" lumens is probably more like in the 90 to 100 lumens area...for about 90 minutes straight. I think the Q5 solves any heat problems. It just does not get as hot at the same current level. If I really wanted more flood, I could just take the reflector out and texture it a little. Not gonna do it.