Novatac - Praised - The Good.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Ok, I thought we should start a thread to said some good thing about the Novatac light. After all, it is one of the best out there.

1. Beautiful smooth white flood beam from the orange peel reflect + Seoul combination. It reminded me of the Amelite T5.
2. Just wonderful interface and programming for the P series. I just love it. I have heard so much about HDS and this is the first time I handle something similar. This is what I called an intelligent torch :).
3. You can reset the torch to recognised the battery type and therefore you don't need protected cell if you used according to instruction. I ran my inferior freshly charged ultrafire 16340 and it lasted about 20min full bright and this dropped down to half bright for another 40min before it gave an intermittent blinking signal for battery change. I took it out and the voltage read 3.6V. The torch was only slightly warm to the touch for the 85P.
4. I like the fact that the bezel can be removed and easy access to the reflector and LED.
5. The switch button is nothing like it. It is great and tactile. I hope it last as there is a lot of clickings when playing around with it.
6. Nice size - same height as the P2D CE but slightly wider.

I have recently tested it on the LC16340 RCR123 and it lasted 55min Max :grin2:.

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
Re: Novatac - the good.

Ok, I thought we should start a thread to said some good thing about the Novatac light.
ummm... there's already 20 threads praising this light already! :laughing::laughing: I myself have just put in an order for the Novatac 120T.. I'd wanted to get the 120-P but they were out of stock, but still I like the tactical function, it makes me feel like a Marine. hehe :paypal:

P.s What batteries are you using now? I'm thinking if Surefire CR123's give the brightest results for use in this light? I'm not sure whether to order Surefire batteries or Duracells... I love them both... I don't like rechargeables because they lose energy sitting around, and I'm too lazy to be bothered charging - just swap a fresh one in! ;-)))

Last edited:

LA OZ

Enlightened

I have heard the surefire battery is a rebatched energizer cr123. I don't think you could go wrong with the surefire and duracells.

xiaowenzu

Banned

I don't think you could go wrong with the surefire and duracells.
Yep, true that. I might go for Surefire's because they're a bit cheaper. I'm hoping to receive my Novatac 120T in a few days - I've been able to save up by not buying cheap lights.. this is what I've been waiting for! :grin2:

Energie

Enlightened

I got the 85T from Lighthound today.
All I can say: UI, beam, presets and build quality are perfect,
a really nice piece of engineering!!

warpdrive

Enlightened

I received mine. It's awesome, and so far, perfect, but I gotta stay out of the problem threads, they are very scary.

There's always a price to be paid for being an early adopter. It's always a gamble.

If this light is reliable, it will be by far my favorite light. It's the perfect light for me.

Compared to my U60GT, the UI is improved, and all the things I loved about the U60 are there.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 85 is pretty darn cool. It seems I change the settings everytime I use it. I'm really looking forward to hitting a dark trail soon. I find myself setting the primary and secondary settings lower and lower. Currently its 5 and 21 lumens respectively. The wide beam is very useful.

I keep flip flopping the tertiary and momentary settings from 85 lumens and disorienting strobe.

Anybody do runtime tests on high?

I'm very satisfied with my light. It is now my workhorse.

kelmo

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like rechargeables because they lose energy sitting around, and I'm too lazy to be bothered charging - just swap a fresh one in! ;-)))

Well not really - It doesn't use Nicads or NiMH - and Li-Ion rechargeables don't lose energy while sitting around - unless you are talking many years. I can't do anything about the laziness though except I'd like to persuade you to consider that contributes to environmental problems.

And yes the Novatac's a 'WOW' light.

xiaowenzu

Banned

Li-Ion rechargeables don't lose energy while sitting around - unless you are talking many years.
Are you sure? I'm not being cheeky, but I read a forum here that even though Li-Ion rechargeables don't lose their charge as quick as ni-mh, they still lose most of it within 6 months. On the other hand, primary CR123s retain most of their charge easily after 5 years.

For me, and my purpose that makes all the difference because I might stick a flashlight in a basement, and not having to worry about the battery level for years. ;)

P.s I know about the environment stuff, but don't you think every time you recharge a battery, it will use up precious resources like energy/coal needed to create that electricity? :D

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is good.we have already heard to much IMO.that the novatac is not as bright as this or that.but for me it is much better than just bright.in the novatac i have found a lighting tool i will use.that is what it is just a great all round lighting tool.and hard to beat at that.i have had so many lights that dont even come close.so big thumbs up to Novatac.:twothumbs

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Novatac - The Good.

What I like about mine in no particular order:
  • Nice beam quality and tint
  • The feeling of the clickie
  • Easier to access options menu/brightness changing
  • I don't use a clip on my HDS so I like that there are no holes to fill
  • I actually like the less aggressive knurling

BBL

Enlightened
- knurling: nearly perfect, the combination of smoothness and grip
- runtime: 3h on the 42lm mode with an old, partially charged rcr123, i couldnt believe what i was seeing !

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned

This is good.we have already heard to much IMO.that the novatac is not as bright as this or that.but for me it is much better than just bright.in the novatac i have found a lighting tool i will use.that is what it is just a great all round lighting tool.and hard to beat at that.i have had so many lights that dont even come close.so big thumbs up to Novatac.:twothumbs

I agree, the Novatac is a super all rounder. It may not be the BRIGHTEST light for it's size (custom made lights are brighter, eg Elektrolumens DeCree...) but it's PRETTY Darn bright! 120 Lumens out the front is serious business by anyones measure. It's one of the toughest and well built light in existence - they threw it 200 times against a concrete wall at shotshow 2007, and it still worked perfectly fine - try doing that with other lights! :crackup:

gunga

Flashaholic
I need to ask, do you actually own the light or are you working on what you have read?

:confused:

EDIT: sorry, just read the post above. You might want to contain some of your enthusiams till you actually get the light.

Also, Li-on has very low self discharge. Protected batteries have more due to the protection circuits, but I don't think they lose much in 6 months. If you are worried about self dischagre, just buy the unprotected ones since the Novatac handles them well ( You did know that right?). Besides, it's not like you will put you NOvatac into the basement and leave it there for years...

Just use Li-on and keep a stash of primaries for emergencies.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
to clarify, the li-ion doesnt loose much, and might need to be recharged after 6mo , that was to indicate, that you wouldnt even BOTHER to recharge it untill about 6mo. in 6months most of its capacity is still there.
with protected the curcuit can discharge the cell faster than that.

some lights take power when they are OFF, and change all of that hugely

wheras a ni-mhy even LSD you might want to top it off if it sat parked for 3 months.

i should have used specific loss ammounts over time, instead of my recharge interval.

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
to clarify, the li-ion doesnt loose much, and might need to be recharged after 6mo , that was to indicate, that you wouldnt even BOTHER to recharge it untill about 6mo. in 6months most of its capacity is still there.
with protected the curcuit can discharge the cell faster than that.

some lights take power when they are OFF, and change all of that hugely

wheras a ni-mhy even LSD you might want to top it off if it sat parked for 3 months.

i should have used specific loss ammounts over time, instead of my recharge interval.

LSD NiMh only lose 1-2% a month. There's no point topping them off over 3 months if they have only lost 3-6%.

Compare that to lithium-ion at 5% a month and regular NiMh at 5-10% on the first day, falling to 0.5-1% a day later.

(And LA OZ, check your PMs re: this Saturday's Melbourne CPF meet!!!!!!!!! :))

Last edited: