Surefire 9N >> what do to with it???

tomL

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have an elderly but still very nice Surefire 9N with both the original head and the turbo head. Both bulbs still work, and I have upgraded the battery pack to NiMH by cutting apart a set of RC batteries.

All in all I am happy with the flashlight, but I would like to improve and upgrade it a bit. I'm asking for ideas.

#1 Is there any way to get more lumens from my 9N? Any replacement lamps or any way to retrofit a bright LED?

#2 Is there any way to use Lithium batteries in it? I suppose they won't work with the 9N's slide-in charger, but that's a small price to pay for progress. The NiMh seem to make it brighter than the original batteries, but self-discharge too fast.

thanks in advance, Tom

bones_708

Enlightened
I think the only things you can really do is an improved battery pack. You may have better luck with a different charger because the old version that they had with the 9N wouldn't be the best for charging Nimh batteries and that may improve your light. other than that you are looking and major mods. You could try new lamps because some older ones do "fade" slightly and lith batteries would prob require a very expensive and complicated regulated pack and it's hard to imagine it being worth it.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you don't think the 9NT beam just rocks - I'm sure there is somebody (several) on CPF who would be happy to enjoy it.

For me the 9NT beam is reason enough to keep it - its just wonderful even though I have plenty of brighter and/or less bulky flashlights.

Al

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
A quick question for you, when surefire stops selling a model, how can you get spare parts like bulbs? Do they still sell it when you contact support or you are left with a great flashlight and a burnt bulb?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The N90 Lamp Assembly for the 9N is also used by the current 9AN so it is still supported.
I believe even the R30 is still available for those with Classic WeaponLights (and 3P flashlights etc)

SureFire tries to have alternatives if it discontinues a lamp - the N2 replaced by the MN15, the MN02 by the MN03. You can easily argue these are not the same - but at least the product can still be used.

qarawol

Enlightened
Hi tomL,

Like Size15's the 9NT is also one of my favorites.

see...

9NT8XTs.jpg

One 9NT not shown and it wouldn't hurt to have another to add to the collection. Six is a nice even number. I LIKE TURBOHEADS!!!

If you need a special holster for it, just ask...

Surefire9N.jpg

Surefire9Na.jpg

Njoy...

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi tomL,

Like Size15's the 9NT is also one of my favorites.

see...

9NT8XTs.jpg

One 9NT not shown and it wouldn't hurt to have another to add to the collection. Six is a nice even number. I LIKE TURBOHEADS!!!

If you need a special holster for it, just ask...

Surefire9N.jpg

Surefire9Na.jpg

Njoy...

qarawol,

You are a freak!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

tomL

Newly Enlightened
My 9NT really IS one of my favorites. Don't get me wrong on this.

The beam is excellent. Even sitting on the shelf (or in my hand), it is a work of art.

I just want to modernize it a bit. I wouldn't mind it being a tad brighter, and the NiCad battery is archaic.

I was hoping there was a way to put a "better" lamp in it, either hotwire or LED. I think I can power it from an 18650 (will fillers), and I have already improved on the battery situation with half of an RC NiMH pack.

I have a LumaPower MRV on order from DX, and don't want my 9NT to miss the party (or worse...become a has-been)

tomL

Newly Enlightened
Another two questions:

Does anyone sell a N90 lamp assembly that has been modified for higher output, either hotwire or LED?

Does anyone sell dead N90 lamp assemblies I could buy for a DIY mod?

tomL

Newly Enlightened
Since I already have the turbo head for my 9N, making it a 9NT, I don't see any need for another turbo head.

Thanks for the response.