Anyone have the Underwater Kinetics 2L ??

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have the UK 2L?? What do you think of it? How does it compare to other lights??

Empath

Flashaholic
The beam quality nor brightness of Surefire, the Scorpion and such isn't matched, but the longevity offered by the compromise is superb. It's time tested and a great light.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got a black one, NIB - opened to test only. I do like it, but have so many other torches...yesterday I wanted to sell it, today I want to keep it...depends on which hour it is I guess. Yes the runtime (3-4 hours) is great compared to a SureFire. It's a handy little package!

Brightguy sells them for $26 plus shipping...worth the price!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think candlepowerforums people seem to really like the 2L. Note it's a batch of really nice compromises, rather than something like a Surefire.

The 2L is lightweight, inexpensive, tough. Very useful beam compromises for a utility light: 3-4 hours runtime, maybe 30ish lumens (??), beam a bit splotchy but very useable, dive-quality water resistance, twist-head switch.

I really like the 2L, since they're inexpensive enough to buy a few and leave them around the house or car, runtime is long enough that you can afford to feed it, brightness is excellent.

Joe

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't be more objective and accurate than what joe described the light. Don't be fool by its plastic look, it's real tough and reliable. It has 2 heavy duty O ring on the bezel.

Alan

FNG

Enlightened
I like mine alot. I keep mine in my car with an extra set of batteries. Great for when you need a long runtime. I used to EDC the 2L before I got my scorpion. Its tiny, about the same size as the E2e.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks to everyone for the quick responses!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

One other thing.....Does the 2L use the same "head" reflector and bulb as the UK 4AA and the Q40? I thought I read that they did somewhere.
If they do what are the advantages disadvantage of 123's vs AA's?? Do alkalines fade more than lithiums?

rycen

Enlightened
It is me favorite light!Bright compact waterproof long burn Above question: same lamp bezel I use the 4AA with Lithiums as this should provide longer runtime than the 2L

Empath

Flashaholic
The disadvantage of course is that the 123 is generally more expensive. The advantage is size, and the fact the a lithium cell has a more desirable discharge curve. You'll notice the wear on the alkalines a lot quicker than lithium.
There are some pretty good deals on 123 cells here lately.

FNG

Enlightened
I get my batteries really cheap so I decided to get the 2L. You can stuff 4 lithium AA's in the others but that usually costs $10 for 4. It only costs me $1 to run my 2L.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
123As: allow for a smaller light and better brightness through the life of the batteries versus 4-AAs. In addition, lithium batteries are less susceptible to cold and can go many years with very little self-discharge, making the 123A-based lights very suitable for car and earthquake lights. Downside is, 123As are more expensive, a hair over a dollar a battery ($15 for 12 Surefire 123As), versus around 40 cents per AA. So 2x123A will cost you $2.25 per pop versus 4xAA costing $1.60.

To me, the greatly smaller size and weight, coupled with better storage properties and better discharge curve, makes 123A a VERY easy choice. With the recent price drop on 123As, they are a no-brainer for almost any situation. The only situation under which I'd go with AAs is if I'm travelling the world with my flashlight -- AAs are supposedly easy to find even in 3rd world countries, whereas 123As are not always available.

Joe

Darell

Flashaholic
As many others have said: The 2L is a great glove box light. And when you find yourself in a situation where swimming with the turtles seems appropriate - you're SET! I've used mine once on a relatively shallow dive, and loved it. The size is about perfect (no gloves) and the beam is plenty good underwater.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
You guys are great!!! Thank you for all the input.

I have some more thinking to do.........I guess I could always buy both.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
If you're thinking of getting both, there's a later version of the 4AA AS2 switch, which is a fair bit better than the original. The Q40 "industrial strength" dive light is still with the old switch I believe.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
2L lights reside in each of our automobiles, plus the "briefcase." In addition to the many benefits noted in other posts, I especially like the 2L for auto or briefcase because of the twist-on feature. Even with "clickies," I feel that the twist-on switch is less likely to accidentally activate the light and drain the batteries.

Regarding the UKE 4AA, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in the AS2. While the switch is really great, the added feature apparently required a longer light. My original 4AA, which is about ten years old, is "only" about 5.5" long (as compared to 6.2").

llvo

Enlightened
I always use my orange UKE 4AA with 4NiMH AAs.
If you are not going to use the light often, buy a 2L!

It's much smaller and the 123a can store for a long time
Enjoy it!