I was just given a ride in a Porsche. Act of kindness

Sarratt

Enlightened
(edited so it doesn't sound like a Playboy letter)
"those aren't stock exhausts are they ??

15 minutes later I'm sitting in the Porsche
... He took me around the block and droped me off at the station. bye and bye.

My point is really ---- this guy , with $100,000 riding invited me into his car and gave me the thrill of a lifetime.

This is truly an act of kindness

btw .... yes its fast .... when you think it's stop pushing . it keeps pushing.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy sure was kind. But hey, if I had the money to buy fast cars and didn't have something urgent to do I might do the same. :p

On a slightly related note, I no longer drool at the sight of fast sports cars since I got my bike. With its lowly 72 horsepower it can accelerate faster than many sports cars (0-62 in 4.2 seconds)... it can't go as fast in a straight line, but I don't care. I rarely go faster than 130 km/h anyway, it's the acceleration that I love. :D

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not pr0n. It didn't start with "I wouldn't normally write this kind of letter, but..."

Once you're beyond the limits of a "normal" car, things get exciting/scary pretty quick.
2 Stories:
In the early 2000's people complained "my Audi TT spins out when I snap off the throttle in a hard corner". Audi responded by recalling them to "adjust" them. Afterwards they were nose heavy and sluggish.

In the 60s/70s people complained "my Porsche spins out when I snap off the throttle in a hard corner." Porsche responded by saying "Learn how to drive a performance car".

Porsche builds performace cars not passenger cars.

You're going to have to ask the OP on that one, it was his movie. He should know if it's hard.

knot

Banned
It's not pr0n. It didn't start with "I wouldn't normally write this kind of letter, but..."

We know, just :poke:

"I wouldn't normally write this kind of letter, but this guy , with $100,000 riding invited me into his car and gave me the thrill of a lifetime :eek:

A car is a car. Some are faster than others and some handle better than others. There are street Skylines out there with over 1000 hp.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
A car is a car. Some are faster than others and some handle better than others. There are street Skylines out there with over 1000 hp.

Sure there are. Go to Nissan and buy one. Custom built cars are no longer the cars their manufacturers' built. Put a bone stock Porsche Turbo against a stock "anything", the list of even close competitors is very short. If you are one of the 99.999% of people that have never been in a vehicle of that performance level. It's a very rare and exhilerating experience. Even an F1 driver still finds a stock Porsche or Ferrari an exhilerating drive. Even if they're stock. Don't poo poo the stock 100 grand Porsche just because it isn't an ultra exotic custom built race car.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more of "a car is just a car" guy, but my boss is all into status symbols. One day my pickup was in the shop so I borrowed my mother's Lincoln Town Car to go to work. My boss kept mentioning all day how he had never ridden in one. But he had been such a jerk to everybody, I just somehow never noticed what he was hinting at. Gotta love that whole Kharma thing!

knot

Banned
Sure there are. Go to Nissan and buy one. Custom built cars are no longer the cars their manufacturers' built. Put a bone stock Porsche Turbo against a stock "anything", the list of even close competitors is very short. If you are one of the 99.999% of people that have never been in a vehicle of that performance level. It's a very rare and exhilerating experience. Even an F1 driver still finds a stock Porsche or Ferrari an exhilerating drive. Even if they're stock. Don't poo poo the stock 100 grand Porsche just because it isn't an ultra exotic custom built race car.

Bone stock Porsche? LMAO, they are factory built with performance parts and if any car manufacturer wants to put 500+ HP into a car, they can but will have to deal with emission problems. The skylines are limited in HP because of emissions but they can produce an amazing amount of power per liter.
Here's more Porsche eating poopoo:

The Acura NSX is only .1 slower than the fastest Porsche 0-60
The Corvette Z07 (SS)* beats the fastest Porsche

For the price of one Carrera GT you can buy a dozen of this auto brand. Atom is manufactured by a small British company from Somerset with only about ten employees. Its Honda engine, taken over from Civic Type-R, is supplemented by mechanical supercharger which provides 300 hp. Having in mind that Atom weighs only 456 kilograms, its acceleration from 0 to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds is not surprising - Ariel Atom 10.88 secs. The best Porsche can do is 11.6
0608240028mnra0.jpg

Some more Porsche beaters: http://www.performancecarnews.com/Fastest-Cars-0-60.asp?Process=ShowTable

Buy a 1000hp Skylinehttp://www.rallyclassified.com/classified.php/listing/38

2009 Skyline will be 500hp BONE STOCK! 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R: The most eagerly anticipated new performance car of the century
"When it comes to cornering, your brain needs to recalibrate its understanding of the laws of physics. Nothing prepares you for the phenomenal traction this coupe generates. On public roads, you run out of guts before you run out of grip."

The 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R is a legend before it even enters production. http://www.edmunds.com/il/nissan/skyline/index.html

Watch out, Ferrari and Porsche. At around $80,000, the new GT-R should have the credentials to make your lives miserable.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't dismiss any of this. My arguement is not that "there is nothing faster than a Porsche". I'm saying that taking a ride in a Porsche is an exhilerating experience for ANYONE who hasn't been in a high performance car before and even for those who have. If there are 10 cars faster than a Porsche Turbo, there are 10,000 that aren't. Should I be dismissant of a Porsche Turbo just because it's not the fastest car to roll off an assembly line? I think you were missing my point.

P.S. That Atom is UNREAL. Have you seen the video from TopGear? It's amazing that for 80 grand you have a $650,000 Ferrari Enzo fighter. If you ask me... If "The Stig" didn't push wide in that big 180 deg turn, he'd have picked up the 2 tenths he needed to beat the Enzo.

Bone stock Porsche? LMAO, they are factory built and if any car manufacturer wants to put 500+ HP into a car, they can. The skylines are limited in HP but they can produce an amazing amount of power per liter.

Some more Porsche beaters: http://www.performancecarnews.com/Fastest-Cars-0-60.asp?Process=ShowTable

2009 Skyline will be 500hp BONE STOCK! 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R: The most eagerly anticipated new performance car of the century
"When it comes to cornering, your brain needs to recalibrate its understanding of the laws of physics. Nothing prepares you for the phenomenal traction this coupe generates. On public roads, you run out of guts before you run out of grip."

The 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R is a legend before it even enters production. http://www.edmunds.com/il/nissan/skyline/index.html

Watch out, Ferrari and Porsche. At around $80,000, the new GT-R should have the credentials to make your lives miserable.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not all about speed... There is the refinement, sound, and feel you get from a Ferrari that no other car can reproduce. Those Skylines are fast, but not legal in California....If that's the case then just drive a Formula 1 race car. That will out handle and out run a Skyline.
Bone stock Porsche? LMAO, they are factory built with performance parts and if any car manufacturer wants to put 500+ HP into a car, they can but will have to deal with emission problems. The skylines are limited in HP because of emissions but they can produce an amazing amount of power per liter.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kharma is great. Ain't it?

I'm more of "a car is just a car" guy, but my boss is all into status symbols. One day my pickup was in the shop so I borrowed my mother's Lincoln Town Car to go to work. My boss kept mentioning all day how he had never ridden in one. But he had been such a jerk to everybody, I just somehow never noticed what he was hinting at. Gotta love that whole Kharma thing!

knot

Banned
It's not all about speed... There is the refinement, sound, and feel you get from a Ferrari that no other car can reproduce. Those Skylines are fast, but not legal in California....If that's the case then just drive a Formula 1 race car. That will out handle and out run a Skyline.

Oh! The rromance! Yeah, the feeling of your wallet getting lighter. Yet the Ferrari can't produce a sound and feel of another car or a Harley. There are many cars that can produce the same feeling of over a G accelerating
Now why would I want my Bugatti Veyron feeling and sounding like a Ferrari?
What are you talking about. The car is going to be sold in America and worldwide for the first time.

I saw a video clip of a mid to upper tune skyline where the driver was saying the car is pulling wheelies out of corners into the straights.

It can do all this AND your wife can drive it to get groceries:

The Drive
This is a true supercar experience. Drop the clutch at 5,500 rpm and you're battling nearly 1.5G as the Atessa-Pro four-wheel-drive system fights to retain grip. Jump on the perfectly balanced six-piston monoblock Brembo brakes, and you'd better be ready for nearly 2G of deceleration as the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs chirp and struggle to absorb the forces. We pushed the car hard for an hour or so over the mountain roads south of Tokyo, and the Z-tune just took everything in its stride, constantly tempting us to use a heavier right boot.

The steering is ideally weighted and razor-sharp for such a car. The Z-tune's turn-in is absolutely progressive without the slightest hint that these Potenzas employ such beefy shoulders. Its Super Coppermix twin-plate clutch is almost as light as a stock clutch, providing smooth gear changes through the six-speed Getrag gearbox, while the beefier bottom-end torque makes low-speed city cruising a pleasure.

When it comes to cornering, your brain needs to recalibrate its understanding of the laws of physics. Nothing prepares you for the phenomenal traction this coupe generates. On public roads, you run out of guts before you run out of grip.

This is what I'd like to experience driving: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article596580.ece

At 200mph you can feel the front of the car getting light as it starts to lift. As a result you start to lose your steering, so you aren't even able to steer round whatever it is you can't see because of the vibrations. Make no mistake, 200mph is at the limit of what man can do right now. Which is why the new Bugatti Veyron is worthy of some industrial strength genuflection. Because it can do 252mph. And that's just mad — 252mph means that in straight and level flight this car is as near as makes no difference as fast as a Hawker Hurricane.

You might point out at this juncture that the McLaren F1 could top 240mph, but at that speed it was pretty much out of control. And anyway it really isn't in the same league as the Bugatti. In a drag race you could let the McLaren get to 120mph before setting off in the Veyron. And you'd still get to 200mph first. The Bugatti is way, way faster than anything else the roads have seen.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally see your point now. A Porsche is nothing special. "A Car is a car". It's plainly nothing special since it doesn't have 1000HP. The OP shouldn't have bothered posting since he shouldn't have been impressed by something like a Porsche Turbo since it isn't the fastest thing going.
I'm done with this.
Sarratt, I'm with you. I'd have enjoyed the ride in the Porsche too.

Oh! The rromance! Yet the Ferrari can't produce a sound and feel of another car or a Harley. There are many cars that can produce the same feeling of over a G accelerating

What are you talking about. The car is going to be sold in America and worldwide for the first time.

I saw a video clip of a mid to upper tune skyline where the driver was saying the car is pulling wheelies out of corners into the straights.

cedarcreek

Newly Enlightened
I was at the air pump filling my cycle when I glanced across and saw that Porsche. A normal looking guy was pumping gas into his Porsche .

{deleted}

This is truly an act of kindness

Punctured bicycle
on a hillside desolate
will Nature make a man of me yet?

When in this charming car
this charming man

Why pamper life's complexities
when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

{sorry---couldn't resist}

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally see your point now. A Porsche is nothing special. "A Car is a car". It's plainly nothing special since it doesn't have 1000HP. The OP shouldn't have bothered posting since he shouldn't have been impressed by something like a Porsche Turbo since it isn't the fastest thing going.
I'm done with this.
Sarratt, I'm with you. I'd have enjoyed the ride in the Porsche too.

+1. Not clear on what Knot thinks this discussion is about.

Glad you enjoyed the ride, Sarrat!

knot

Banned

Yeah but dont forget he's your boss. He can make or break kharma.

knot

Banned
+1. Not clear on what Knot thinks this discussion is about.

It's about using cars in pron videos - thrill of a lifetime.

Honestly, I grew up in Southern California and a Porsche is nothing to gawk at. They are so common - they don't even turn heads - only exotic cars do or fast cars that are hard to get.

I'm sure Sarratt is young - I'm glad you got a thrill out of it. I would gawk over a Viper because I haven't seen a million of them.

Fast car experience? Yes, I've passengered in a drag car on the street - talk about scared s*tless................I thought I was going to swallow my tongue.

Last edited: