Mounting seoul led question.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it Artic silver or Artic alum epoxy better/proper to mount a seoul P4 led to an existing star?

mahoney

Enlightened
Artic silver epoxy is marginally better than Artic alumina epoxy at heat transfer. But the Seoul slug needs to be isolated and the alumina is slightly better as a non-conductor. The alumina is cheaper too.

But...if you think you might upgrade to the latest and greatest LED next year, a thin layer of a heat conductive insulator like mica with a bit of good thermal paste on each side under the Seoul will allow for easy future change while still maintaining decent heat transfer.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Artic silver epoxy is marginally better than Artic alumina epoxy at heat transfer. But the Seoul slug needs to be isolated and the alumina is slightly better as a non-conductor. The alumina is cheaper too.

But...if you think you might upgrade to the latest and greatest LED next year, a thin layer of a heat conductive insulator like mica with a bit of good thermal paste on each side under the Seoul will allow for easy future change while still maintaining decent heat transfer.

So both will work with a slight advantage of each that you pointed out.
Thanks! ,I read that but was unsure if I needed the best non conductor.
Good idea on the mica ,I hadnt thought of that.