What is the maximum push for a tec40 without damaging it?

ake

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading for almost everything about a tec 40 mod here and still haven't got a final conclusion..

Here is a mod on a tec 40 that I am looking for.

1. Maximum brightness/throw.
2. Will not damage the reflector/lens (no dimple no melting and so on.)on a long run (at least continuously half an hour run)

A lot came from RS 3.78V 1.? amp and some Carley lamp (don't remember spec

Could someone let me know thier mod that you think it's the best one without damaging the tec40 for a long run time?

Thanks,

Ake

PS How are your mod compared to DB 6 or 8AA?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Tec 40 with 4 NiMhi & a 3D Krypton lamp are about as much as you can go for that period of time without causeing a possible melt down. TX

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet lemlux will show up here, but in the meantime, if you want maximum throw (reach, whatever), I would use the narrow beam reflector. That with an overdriven 3 cell bulb will give you a spot brighter than a Surge.

The drawback is you only get the great spot, but not the nice smooth wide beam. That's why I have two Tec 40s, and choose whichever one I think will be appropriate at the time.

Also, the overdriven 3 cell bulbs will blow faster than a properly driven bulb. I've been through 3 of them so far, but I'm still on my original bulb in the Surge. So I'm also interested in doing better than this arrangement.

edit: I couldn't resist the temptation to plug the Tec 40 again. I've tried other "main" lights, but I always go back to my trusty Tec 40s.

They're compact and lightweight, reliable, can be turned on and off quickly with one hand and in more natural "non-tactical" mode, waterproof up the wazoo, very strong, come with adjustable lanyard, and the amount of power you can get out of 4 NiMH AAs is really quite impressive. Oh, and they use commonly available and inexpensive batteries, and use standard PR base bulbs for maximum flexibilty and availability of bulbs. Have I forgotten anything?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Lux that the textured wide beam reflector is more useful. I have two PT40's and use the wide beam the most. In fact, I've temporarily put in a John Bechtold 4 LED PR bulb in the mirror spot.

If you buy from bright guy, you can buy extra reflectors of your choice for $2.50 each. That way if you don't like how your reflector looks after driving a higher amperage bulb, your recovery cost is less than the price of a halogen bulb.

My guess is that I'll buy at least one more PT40 so I've got one of each version ready. (I'll also buy an extra reflector or two. Lux knows I've been running one of my KPR 139 3.85 V 1.2 A in it for awhile and Alan and others tell me that I'm an accident waiting to happen.)

ake

Newly Enlightened
a bit off the topic, how can you tell which reflector is wide beam or spot beam? Mine has very smooth surface reflector and the beam has very sharp edge (the beam shape sucks though). I swap a reflector from a solo, the one that the surface is relatively rougher than the from from the tec. The beam of this one is much smoother and more circular. The beam seems to smear out evenly too. I test it during the day so can't really tell which one is brighter. May be the smooth surface one is brighter, I think

Which one is a wide and which one is a spot?

ake

PS I think I got it, the textured is a wide and the smoothed one is a spot. Correct me if I am wrong.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
ake,

The smooth surface reflector gives the narrow beam. The dimpled reflector gives the smooth and wide beam.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lux Luthor:

Also, the overdriven 3 cell bulbs will blow faster than a properly driven bulb. I've been through 3 of them so far, but I'm still on my original bulb in the Surge. So I'm also interested in doing better than this arrangement.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lux Luthor, you blown 3 bulbs in tec40
shocked.gif
What bulbs you used? Is it an Xenon bulb? I have been using Maglit 3D cell bulb (WhiteStar) intensively without blowing one. I was so suprised that White Star krypton bulb was so reliable even overdriven.

Alan

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the 3D lamps (Krypton) in various lights with 4 rechargeables & have never had one burn out either. I did blow a halagon real quick once. TX

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan,

As of last night, I've now been through 4 of them. I've been using KPR103 and Whitestar (no Xenons). I don't remember how many of each is in the "4", but I know I stopped buying KPR103, in favor of the Whitestar which, at least out of the ones I've found, have shorter bulbs. The filaments don't break, they just stop working.