Weapon mounted tact lights? Need some help!

djblank87

Enlightened
I have a Rock River Arms Entry Tact M4 Carbine. I have all the goodies on it, custom picatinny mounting rail foregrip, EOTech 512 Holosight along with a folding vertical grip.

First I must say that I thought I knew a lot about flashlights, their power and different brands until I got in here.

Now, I have looked at many different lights from Streamlight, SureFire and still can't make up my mind. I have found numerous other brands that I have herd of before but didn't really care for there lumens or cp power.

I'm looking for a weapon rail mounted light that can put out at least 200 lumens or more. A cp power of 20,000 or more would be great. Either or would be great and I do not care if it is LED, HID and so on.

I would also like to keep the price around $250.00 or less so any help would great.

Thank's ahead of time.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Surefire M961XM07 Weaponlight mounted on my AR and love it! It is a 9volt light with 2 bulbs to choose from. A 125 lumen bulb and a 225 lumen bulb. You can also buy a KT4 shock isolated turbo-head and use the MN10 & MN11 bulbs for extended range use.

djblank87

Enlightened
DaFABRICATA thank you for the reply that is a very nice looking light and something I will look into further.

I do also have another question about the Streamlight Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle Illumination System - Kit 88108, a few of my friends swear by it but and say it is a true 211 lumens but I used my buddies one night and although I have over ten different streamlight products I found this light not up to par.

Anyone have an opinion on the streamlight?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have a Surefire M961XM07 Weaponlight mounted on my AR and love it! It is a 9volt light with 2 bulbs to choose from. A 125 lumen bulb and a 225 lumen bulb. You can also buy a KT4 shock isolated turbo-head [kit] and use the MN15 & MN16 bulbs [supplied as part of the kit] for extended range use.
IMHO, you have discovered that relying on ratings is a poor measure for determining whether a light is suitable for your applications.

You are wanting "200 lumens or more" - is that for outdoor work?
I read that 65-150 lumens is about the right lumen output range for indoor illumination.

For outdoor work I suggest that you rule out LED lights and check out three or four SF123A TurboHead WeaponLights (such as the M97 or M98 Series).

If it is possible, I think it would be worth your while finding people/colleagues who are using light for the same applications you intend to and see what lights they are using, and like with your Streamlight experience - try it out for yourself.

Depending on how serious/critical your application/need I think that $250 may be too little for a weapon-mounted light that has a useful output for outdoor use.

Al

Paladin

Enlightened
Contact Grant at G&R Tactical about one of his WG9D light bodies.

Fitted with either a KL5 LED, or Z32 shock reducing bezel and a P90 or P91, and the E series tailcap of your choice you will have a very light weight, reliable, and versatile light. An offset rail mount will put the light where you can activate it with the thumb of your hand holding the vertical grip. The lower photo is probably the same rail system on your carbine. HTH.

Paladin

photo of WG9D
Captured_2006-7-26_00000.jpg

photo of offset mount and vertical grip (laser devices OP-9 light shown)
Captured_2006-7-30_00010.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
PentagonLights makes some nice weapon-mounted lights. As far as quality goes, Pentagon is on par with Surefire. Their hand-held lights are a bit longer and heavier than what you'll get from Surefire. Their weapon-mounted lights are definitely worth a look.

PentagonLights LINK - http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm_id.144

Just click to the left, under "Weapon Lights."

For $250, shop around a bit for a Night-Ops Gladius. I just picked one up today. Many CPFers swear by this light. I'm a bit less impressed. Mainly due to the tailcap. But check it out. I know you can mount it on a weapon.

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
Are you using this for indoors/CQB or outdoors? The "entry" in your description makes it almost sound like a HD gun. LEDs are fabulous for close, indoor work :thumbsup: while incandescents look better at longer ranges

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you are actively using (firing) the weapon on a regular basis it is a good idea to determine how well the light beam shines through the muzzle-blast etc.