SSC Q5 in the works?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

With the new levels of efficiency from CREE, Q2, Q5..ect.

Any word on a SSC with the same increase, and able to give more lm/mA?

-there are a bunch of lights that could use a new efficient SSC module. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SSC U bin already puts out more lumens than the Cree Q5 at 1A, 240 against 228. Maybe they're waiting for the Cree R bins to come out and give them some competition then.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC VSXOH engineering sample is already in one of the greatest light...
Rated 118.5 ~ 154.0 Lumen@350mA

4uww86h.jpg

6fal2z8.jpg

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a 'bottom-end' sample at 118lm@350ma and compare it to your old Seoul which might be 100lm@350ma, you're not gonna notice a whole lot of difference.

I guess you'll have to somehow land yourself a 150lm@350ma piece to be able to see a marked difference.

I think it'll be a good excuse for modders to just scratch the itch and change out a few lights (I might upgrade my Gladius from U-bin SSC to the V-bin just cuz I hate the current tint), but if you're a casual user and are intending to pay $50-60 to upgrade (e.g from P4 to Q5 or SSC V-bin) your light, I'd say wait awhile. (Unless its jumping from luxeon)

Even so, maybe wait for the R2s and W-bin (if any) for a more worthy jump.

HgRyu

Enlightened
HgRyu - Do Koreans have special 'early' access to these V-ranks? It would be awesome if you could get a bunch for a groupbuy or something.

I also want to get even a few pieces, if I can get more than two, I'll PM you..:D:D:D

mdocod

Flashaholic
the SSC/Cree stuff that came out around 100lm/w is darned good, It was one of those bizarre sudden *jumps* in tech that may or may not happen again. We may just see slow incremental increases in efficiency up to around 200lm/w over the next decade or so, or maybe there will be one more jump, either way, I don't know that it's *worth* taking the time and money to upgrade with each incremental step. I think it would be smarter to wait until the latest greatest is performing at least 50% better than what you currently have, which in my book only leaves room for maybe 2 more "upgrades" (one when things get to around 150lm/w and another when things get up over 200lm/w)..

Like many have said in the past, as efficiency improves, so will the current that they can be driven at (as less and less heat will need to be dissipated per watt of power going through the emitter)... I wonder, if they could really close the gap on the theoretical 241lm/w, maybe it will be possible to run these things at 20+W+ someday, pushing 4000+ lumens. If they get to 220lm/w, according to my math, a 20W emitter would make about the same heat as todays crees do at maximum drive, but deliver 4400 lumens at the emitter... pretty cool eh?