Help me find my new EDC

Secur1

Enlightened
First of all Modamag's Draco is always on my keychain.
But i am also looking for something that's going to live in my bean bag.
For the time being i alternate between the D-mini and the Rexlight v2.0

So here is what i am looking for :
Single AA or RCR123
It has to produce a wall of light, i am not looking for throw, just flood.
It has to be as long running as possible, preferably around 8 hours.
2 modes, one low around 20-30 lumens and one high around 80
I would like a clicky, althow a twisty wouldn't be a deal breaker if all of the above are covered.
And last but not least i do not want to spend an arm and a leg for it ie over $100.

EDIT :
So far the prime candidates are
1) JiL intelli ( if i can get some answers to the Q's i posted on #8 )
2) Orb Raw ( if there is a reflector for it that will give me a floodier beam profile)

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a job for the cr2 ion.
Yaesumofo

First of all Modamag's Draco is always on my keychain.
But i am also looking for something that's going to live in my bean bag.
For the time being i alternate between the D-mini and the Rexlight v2.0

So here is what i am looking for :
Single AA or RCR123
It has to produce a wall of light, i am not looking for throw, just flood.
It has to be as long running as possible, preferably around 8 hours.
2 modes, one low around 20-30 lumens and one high around 80
I would like a clicky, althow a twisty wouldn't be a deal breaker if all of the above are covered.
And last but not least i do not want to spend an arm and a leg for it ie over $100.

Secur1

Enlightened
Well the LP 301 and 303 are nice but they don't have the type of beam i am looking for, i want FLOOD ! :)
And the CR2 Ion is way too expensive...

Secur1

Enlightened
How about a NovaTac EDC 85P (or T) and replace the stock lens with an LDF coated lens.

CFU

I've been reading way too many complaints about their quality control....
Plus i find the 20000000000 settings it has kind of useless and gimmicky, i want my edc to be simple and long running.

Last edited:

Secur1

Enlightened
The search continues :p

I am thinking about going down the CR2 way, cause this will give me a more compact light, on the other hand i will miss the versatility of a AA light with which i could easily find cells anywhere....
Anyway... i like the CR2 Ion a lot but like i said before, it's very expensive, specially with the added cost of the XRE upgrade.
Another candidate on the CR2 form factor would be the JiL intelli, the beam pattern seems ok for my needs, with a very bright sidespill and a medium hot spot.
But i need a bit more info on it, as most of the posts/threads about it are pretty old.
So can someone please tell me :
1) How much would it cost me for a JiL intelli with flupic and ssc p4 emmiter ?
2) What would be the estimated runtime under each mode
a) on CR2 Primary
b) on AW's RCR2
3) Are there any beam shots around with a JiL using a SSC P4 ?
4) Will i be able to order the light from the manufacturers website ? Has anyone else done this ? Are they ok to deal with ?

I have already read through most of the threads available on this light, but like i said i need some fresh material :)

Still with all that being said, if someone could point me towards a AA light that fits the bill, i wouldn't say no :p
Again the main things needed are
1) Floody beam pattern
2) Long running (the longer the better, with a minimum of 10h)
3) 2 modes, nice and simple, one low and one high

This light will be intended for emergency use, ie if i am away from home and there is a long black out, so i will need something to light up the room i am in.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
This has probably been covered here already, but here goes...

No, you can't (affordably) find CR123's anywhere.. You CAN generally buy them anywhere if absolutely necessary, however.

The thing to do is plan ahead.. I personally keep 2 123's at work, 2 in my car, and the rest safe at home. If you buy them in bulk, the Energizer E2 123's are only $1.60ish a piece and last a LONG time in the P2D.

I expect I won't be needing batteries for several years with just 16 of them, as I don't use a flashlight unless I need to.. ie: I don't run around the house after dark with 2 flashlights on Turbo when I could just turn on a light. :)

Secur1

Enlightened
The Raw does indeed seem to gather all my requirements except the beam pattern...
Does anyone know if there is a reflector i can fit in there to make it more floody ? I don't want to use a diffuser cap cause that will kill the output....

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Liteflus LF-3 (CR123 or RCR123). Nice looking light that is compact and has two programmable levels.

The Liteflux LF-4 (CR2 or rechargable). Same as above. These have a lot going for them.

What is interesting is that the LF-4 does not look too different than the Surefire Titan. It is smaller and should be easier to carry.

The Fenix P2D is nice. And the Novatak is very nice as well. I have heard a lot of good things about it and would not put too much into some of the negative stuff (but it is always worth being aware of some of the complaints). There is also a Liteflux LF-5 that uses AA cells.

You have a lot of very good choices. Any one of these are great lights. I am sure I have missed some others but these are the ones that come to mind.

Secur1

Enlightened
Thanks for the info but i have already looked into the Liteflux lights, i used to own the LF1 but my main problem with them as with most other available lights bar a few is the beam profile, i want a wall of light with as little, if any, hot spot.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a used SureFire KL4.
This fits all of your requirements .
Can be found under $100 (used) runs on a single (designed for 2x 123A) 123a cell with great results.
The Wall of light is real with the KL4.
Very high quality if it breaks Surefire will fix it free for life even if you are not the orignal buyer.
Yaesumofo

Secur1

Enlightened
Bumb :p

Anyone got their Zebra Light ?

Cause that looks like a promising EDC ....

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit: Hi Secur1 i had answered your post about the cr2 ion but you edited it so i did too :)

Last edited:

Secur1

Enlightened
Yeah i know i saw your original answer as well, but realized what you said before you posted so i edited it...

Sheep happens :p