Looking for small led with throw

Pitman

Newly Enlightened
I have an arc aaa but it only seems useful at very close distances. Are there any small led flashlights that have more throw distance than the arc or is this typical of led lights? I work on industrial equipment and often have the need to peer several feet into the machines and the arc doesn't seem to cut it.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need it in a smaller package, get a Impact 2. Impact uses 4 AA batteries while Impact 2 uses 4 AAA batteries.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
generally speaking, leds just don't throw as far as incandescants.

the aaa isn't really meant to be a primary lighting source, it was designed for backup and close-range illumination, and it does it <font color="red">very</font> well. if you want a led flashlight for more general purposes (such as the ones you mentioned) a ls (luxeon star) light is your best bet.

it you can afford it, i recommend the arc lsh-p. it is basically the brightest (differences in leds usually account for brightenss differences, but the p ranked arc ls uses only p or q ranked luxoens) 1w led commercially available...it also happens to be the smallest. it uses a hd (high-dome) emitter, so it will throw further than the surefire leds.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to stick to traditional LEDs, and you want it to throw a bit, then your choices may be the Impact or the PALight... Either one of the two can project a beam to about 20-25 feet away.

An LS based light, however, will do the trick in terms of throw, if it's paired up with an NX05... If you want something like a laser beam focus, then you'd have to go with a side emitter based LS in a reflector... Nichias won't be able to match the throw of a Luxeon Star on any type of platform, be it reflector based or optics based...

mst3k

Enlightened
Or, if he has anything available right now, pretty much anything Mr. Bulk makes! Charlie's lights are known for incredible brightness and thow.

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Get an Arc LSL/LSH

If you want a small LED flashlight with throw and you have the money, I suggest buying an Arc LSL or Arc LSH with the flat 123A power pack. The flat power pack shortens the LSL/LSH to 2.625 inches long by 1 inch in diameter. The picture below shows the flat 123A Power Pack for the Arc LS.

Shark

Enlightened
This may be larger than your looking for but I use a Inova X5MT when I work on machines has plenty of throw is waterproof I use it every day and a set of batteries last me 10 weeks or better and a small plus when I wash my hands I just throw it in the sink and wash it too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Check out Mods forum

Hello Pitman,

Small is a relative term.

You should check out the modifications offered by Dat2zip. I just picked up a BadBoy 400 that goes in a Mini Mag 2 AA and am quite impressed with it. It is bigger than a single AAA light, but it is quite a bit smaller than my TigerLight.

Tom

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Check out Mods forum

Another holler for the PT Impact II. If you want throw, get it; it's useless for closeup work.

Pitman

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the replies! I will check out the Ptech impact II. The ARC ls series is out of my budget range but it sure looks like what i want.

Darell

Flashaholic

Just be warned that while you'll be able to toss the beam farther, you won't be illuminating much of anything but the surface that you hit with the dot of light. A Luxeon-based light would do wonders for you. If a Minimag is not too big, consider a drop-in module like the BadBoy Sammich on Wayne Y's site.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pitman, if you want something similar to the ARC-LS but don't want to bust your wallet, you should take a look at dat2zip's sandwiches (http://home.attbi.com/~theledguy/cpf_store/sandwiches.htm)...

It converts your minim$g to an LS light, it's just as bright, if not a bit more so than the Arc-LS with the BB500, and it's going to run you, total, even with a tail-kroll switch, only $55...

There are also lots of modders here (Lambda, MrBulk, Elektrolumens, ect) who will be happy to create a light for you under $60 that can perform just as well as the Arc-LS, and in most cases, in the size and battery configuration that you so desire...

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another shameful plug, but you might also want to look at the original drop in Luxeon Pill mod for 2AA lights.

illpill2.jpg

No green Luxeon lotto to play, as Illuminator Pills are now sold by Luxeon grade. Some very nice no green ones available right now.