Question for Fenix owners

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
So i have ALOT of SureFire's (I mean ALOT 4 to the right of me and 3-4 more somewhere else) but i've now gotten the Urge to try out a Fenix. So my question is to the owner's of E0's, E1's, P1D CE owners. And my questions are pretty simple.

-Overall build quality. For the price that you paid (19.00, 25.00, 40.00) what do you think?

-Brightness. Again for the price that you paid. How would you compare it to something else in the price range of the Fenix.

-Customer Service / Returns and Replacements. For those of you who have had problems what do you think? Have they been polite about it? How has the service been and how has the replacement service been.

and the most important...

-Usability. Do you EDC your Fenix? How does it hold up?

What i'll be using this for: Mainly an EDC light. Right now my EDC is a E1L which is 25 lumens for 4 hours, But I'm looking for something like it. If i like it alot than it might become my EDC, It can be Type II or Type III as it will not anywhere near key's. The P1D CE would be good as it uses CR123's (We have really hot summer's and freezing winters) and for price about 50.00 would be max. (Which is why the P1D CE is at the top of the list)

From this I'll decided which one I'm going to get. It will either be an E0, E1 or P1D CE.

(P.S You don't have to reply back in a list :))

Thanks.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check into the P2D. I started with a P1D-CE, but now it collects dust since I got my P2D-CE. I recommend www.fenix-store.com for their outstanding customers service. If you do by chance have a problem with your Fenix light, they will make it right. See if you can snag a P2D with a CREE Q2 emitter, or Rebel 100!

If you really prefer a twisty to a reverse clicky, than go for the P1D-CE. The thing I really like about the P2D is you can start in LOW, or you can start in TURBO (Max brightness), depending on if you have the bezel tightened down all the way, or a little loose (that's how you change from TURBO mode and GENERAL mode).

I EDC my Fenix and I love it.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've yet to have a Fenix light slip out of my hands, but I guess it depends on what you do. If your hands are greasy often, than maybe you want something with more grip. I use my P2D to help me see around my yard at night when I'm watering things and my hands are often damp or wet, and I still haven't had any issues.

meuge

Enlightened
So i have ALOT of SureFire's (I mean ALOT 4 to the right of me and 3-4 more somewhere else) but i've now gotten the Urge to try out a Fenix. So my question is to the owner's of E0's, E1's, P1D CE owners. And my questions are pretty simple.

-Overall build quality. For the price that you paid (19.00, 25.00, 40.00) what do you think?

-Brightness. Again for the price that you paid. How would you compare it to something else in the price range of the Fenix.

-Customer Service / Returns and Replacements. For those of you who have had problems what do you think? Have they been polite about it? How has the service been and how has the replacement service been.

What i'll be using this for: Mainly an EDC light. Right now my EDC is a E1L which is 25 lumens for 4 hours, But I'm looking for something like it. If i like it alot than it might become my EDC, It can be Type II or Type III as it will not anywhere near key's. The P1D CE would be good as it uses CR123's (We have really hot summer's and freezing winters) and for price about 50.00 would be max. (Which is why the P1D CE is at the top of the list)

From this I'll decided which one I'm going to get. It will either be an E0, E1 or P1D CE.

Thanks.
My liking would lean towards a P2D as opposed to a P1D, simply because it's both slightly larger (P1D is too small for my hands) and because the UI is much better. Actually, the Fenix UI is my favorite of all the flashlights I've been exposed to. As WadeF mentioned, being able to start either in Turbo or Low is a great feature.

Furthermore, getting a P2D exposes you to an entire Lego world of Fenix, as you can purchase an L2D or L1D body/tailcap for it, and be able to use 1 or 2 AA cells as well.

As far as build quality is concerned, I would say Fenix did a very good job. It doesn't feel like a battlefield-toughness light, but I take it hiking without any reservations.

Brightness-wise, Fenix has no trouble keeping up with any of the top flashlight brands. I specifically like the beam pattern on the Cree lights, as it has a very bright spot that has very good throw (~50m on Turbo), but also generous spill. Output-wise, I don't think anyone can knock Fenix.

I originally bought an L2D-CE for hiking... but I loved it so much that I wanted to EDC it. It was a little too big, so I got the L1D body for it. So I've been carrying the L1D-CE with Eneloop AA for a few weeks now, but I missed the Turbo wall of light, so I broke down and ordered a P2D-R100, which will likely become my EDC light whenever it arrives.

The L2D-CE will still remain my choice for hiking, because it's larger in size, and because it's tough to beat free lumens you get from using LSD NiMH AAs.

P.S. I haven't had any issues with Fenix slipping out of my hands either. More knurling would be nice, but it's not a fatal flaw, nor is it enough for me to rate Fenix any lower.

prinsen-ranch

Newly Enlightened
For the last seven months I've been EDCing a P1Dce. My new Novatac has replaced it for the last week, but I may go back to the Fenix. I really like the size and weight. The Fenix rides comfortably in the pocket of my jeans. The Novatac is just a bit too big.

A Fenix isn't a Surefire, but I think it's a good value for the dollar. Mine has had zero problems and even though the tube feels very thin compared to a higher end light, I haven't done any damage other than to the annodizing and it's gotten some solid hits. The finish isn't up to the standards of Surefire, Arc, or Novatac. Some complain about it being slippery, but I've found it's a lot easier to clean off grease or diesel from my P1D than it is from my A2. The deep knurling of the A2 really holds grease.

The beam isn't as smooth as the Novatac 120P and it doesn't throw as well at night, but the brightness seems about equal to my uncalibrated eyes.

I'm not fond of the UI on the P1D, but I like it being shorter and easier to clean than the P2D. For me the bottom line is that if I lost the one I have, I'd buy another to replace it. It's not my ultimate light, but it's useful and a fair value.

Mark

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I've had my P2D CE for about two weeks, so not long term, but it lives in the pocket with my keys and it still looks completely brand new.

I don't care about forward/reverse clickie, so I really like the interface. I use it in Low about 90% of the time, honestly only time I use Turbo is screwing around. But it's nice to have the output if I need it.

Only nitpick I have about the P2D is that the clickie boot is a shiny flat tacky rubber and it collects a bit of lint. Quick rinse every few days makes it look brand new again.

I have a lanyard with a detachable strap that I keep on it, so I don't have problems with it rolling, but the body of the light is round so it WILL roll around.

I haven't found the body finish slippery enough to worry about dropping it, but it is pretty slick. If I'm into something which might cause me to drop it, I just click the loop onto my lanyard and put it around my wrist.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I like the Fenix lights a lot. They come w/ great customer service, esp. if you buy from 4 7's. The fit and finish is good. I think that the brightness is excellent for the price. Really, it is doubtful that there is more lumens per dollar in a similiar light anywhere. Fenix also has very good drivers to make the most of the batteries.

The E0 is good, but does not put out a whole lot of light. The E1 put out slightly more light, but at the expense of battery life, and the beam stank.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Fenix lights are too smooth

slip out of my hand tooooooo easily:mecry:

A little "Friction Tape" will fix that. That's what I put on my L2D-CE, and it works great.

Cody,
===============================================
Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. Daniel 12:3

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks.

Have you considered the L0DCE? It is pretty bright on high on a AAA nimh batt. and has a pretty long runtime on low. Put a 10440 in it and it puts out about 150 lumens on high, but only for about ten minutes till batt. is spent. I would recommend doing some research on the risk of unprotected LION batt. first though.

Last edited:

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
So i think I've knocked down the possibility's but then built them up again :)

So now the light's that i might get are:

-P1D CE
-E1
-LOD CE

I'm thinking of getting the E1 for now (or E0) and then seeing if i like it then later getting the P1D CE, And then I'll be using the classic line of "Buy Both!"

If i do get the L0D then i will probably use the AA's that its designed for until i can read up more on Unprotected batteries. I'm not quite ready for that yet. Will post my final decision Thursday (24 hours) but keep the feedback coming!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think they are fine lights for the money. Presently, I have an E0 and an E1. I've been EDCing the E0 for over a year now. It replaced an old Arc AAA in my pocket because it simply performs better. Brighter, longer running, and cheaper. The new Arcs are brighter, but twice the price. The Fenix's anodizing isn't quite as durable, but it's still held up well. The E1 sees a lot of use around the house. It's a few bucks more than the E0, but a bit brighter with more throw. Both lights are well regulated with flat output for the life of the battery. Nothing fancy. Just solid performers like all Fenix lights.

Geoff

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
So i think I've knocked down the possibility's but then built them up again :)

So now the light's that i might get are:

-P1D CE
-E1
-LOD CE

I'm thinking of getting the E1 for now (or E0) and then seeing if i like it then later getting the P1D CE, And then I'll be using the classic line of "Buy Both!"

If i do get the L0D then i will probably use the AA's that its designed for until i can read up more on Unprotected batteries. I'm not quite ready for that yet. Will post my final decision Thursday (24 hours) but keep the feedback coming!

Here are reviews on those lights.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p1d.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0dce.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e0.htm

Cody,
=================================================
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased. Daniel 12:4

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to go with the P2D CE or P2D RB100 crowd. I have been EDC'ing mine for two months now. I love the UI and the output this little light has. It has great battery life(am only on the second battery in two months).

P2D CE:

Low: 9 lumens (30hrs) -Med: 40 lumens (5.5hrs) -High: 80 lumens (2hrs) -Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (1hrs)

P2D RB100:
Low: 11 lumens (30hrs) -Med: 50 lumens (5.5hrs) -High: 100 lumens (2hrs) -Turbo Mode: 175 lumens
yikes.gif
(1hrs)

30 hours in low, and over 5 hours in medium. Up to a whopping 175 lumens in Turbo. Small, easy to carry form factor with an easy to use UI. LOP reflector for a nice smooth beam. I would definitely put this on your list of possibilities.

Edit: I have five Fenix lights and I love every one of them. I have not had even 1 problem with any of them. David (4sevens) at the Fenix-Store.com has outstanding service and free shipping world wide. I use my P2D more than any other light I have (several times on a daily basis), and after two months it is still looking new and holding up very well.

p2daad1.jpg

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Build quality: It's adequate for <$50, IMO. The most I paid was $44, and I didn't feel ripped off. However, I would not buy some of their $50+, $60+ lights due to their quality (or lack thereof, in this case). They are not build well enough for my personal cut-off point (anything above $50 I MUST really like -- UI, quality, etc.). Their Rebel lights (the only ones that interest me right now) are in my personal 'danger zone' -- not quite cheap enough due to my experience with their older lights I have.

Brightness: That their redeeming quality. Great photon bang for the buck.

Customer service: I am not aware of ANY customer service from Fenix themselves. It's all done by the dealers (Fenix-Store has promised to service all lights, but it's 'just' a distributor).

Usability: I EDC an L0 on my keychain. I don't like reverse clickies, considering that about 90% of my activations are momentary. 2AA lights are an awkward size for me; too long for EDC. Their single cell lights are okay, but, yes, I find them too slippery for a clicky.

I might get one of their Rebels with a forward clicky, if I need a quick photon fix :). But, as I said above....

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my experience, the Fenix Lights offer highest quality lights made outside USA. They listen to CPFer's needs, you can see considerable improvement in their products over the years. Be it perefecting UI to the LOP Reflectors....

Personally, One of the best out of Fenix Lineup are
P1 CE Q2 Special Edition
P3D CE
L2P V1 and L2P V2

Other Lights such as E1, L0D CE, L1D CE, P2D CE offer great value and are equally good quality lights. I don't have L0D CE or other lights for review but you can check for L0P

+1 on www.Fenix-Store.com great store by 4SevenS, excellent customer support & Service.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an L4,L5,L1,L7 and E1L when I first bought the P3D when it first came out. I had to try one as there were so many good things said about them. It took me 2 weeks to realise that the P3D is not for me. Apart from the useful modes and very bright output and the ability to use rechargeables, the anodising is slippery for sweaty palms, the threads are not cleaned properly when i received it. The battery tube is thin and is bare aluminium. Fortunately the led was centered. Well I compared with SF quality so I think it was not fair from the word go...but at $60 it could have been better manufactured......my 0.02 cents.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a bright light on AA or AAA Alkalines--You may not be too happy. Most alkalines die a pretty quick death on Turbo (check some of the runtime plots)--the AA/AAA alkaline batteries just don't do real well when discharged faster than ~4 hour rate--let alone a 1 hour rate or less (same problem with the typical digital camera that destroy alkaline cells).

However, if you like Lithium primaries and/or NiMH--those are great lights.

Personally, I have a P3D-CE (standard one). Like it very well--is pretty slick light--but it is easy to pocket/pull from the holster. Nothing to catch on.

However, I could see wanting to put some friction tape or other such treatment if you like "grippier" lights.

I was not too thrilled with the black anodize--I would try the natural color next time.

-Bill