comparison 10x, M6, M4, other?

bliss

Newly Enlightened
Dear CPF,

Looking to buy a lightweight high powered incandescent flashlight. I'm having trouble deciding between the following SureFire Models: 10x , M6 and M4.

I would like to know more about how the light beams of these models compare to each other when using the high setting or brightest stock bulb.

Are there any other lights, perhaps from another manufacturer, that I should consider?

Thanks

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear CPF,

Looking to buy a lightweight high powered incandescent flashlight. I'm having trouble deciding between the following SureFire Models: 10x , M6 and M4.

I would like to know more about how the light beams of these models compare to each other when using the high setting or brightest stock bulb.

Are there any other lights, perhaps from another manufacturer, that I should consider?

Thanks
Check the Wolf-Eyes Rattlesnake 13v and the Lumens Factory lamp assemblies.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/

http://www.lumensfactory.com/

Welcome to CPF!

Cheers.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge the M6 and 10X are two of the most powerful incandescent flashlights on the market. To get any brighter you will most likely need to go to HID.

A consideration is useage and battery type. I do not like rechargables because I like to grab a light and go with it (but if it doesn't light up, just swap some cells.) This procedure would be harder to perform on a light that recharges its batteries via a charger.

I would not totally eliminate rechargables because if you use the light often, a rechargable is the way to go. 6 X CR123's every 20 minutes from an M6 with HOLA at $1.75 a battery does add up. That works out to 31.50 USD per hour.

I had a M6 before I figured out that the light was mostly for just having it. I recently came across a 10X dominator and I am not looking back. The 10X is longer, bigger, wider, and bulkier because of the head unit but offering 2 stages of output and a quick charger; it is my night stand light. I can use 60 lumens for walking around the house and if need be have 500+ lumens available (along with a firearm and X200 weapons light.)

So one question I have for you is, what are you going to use the light for?

BSBG

Enlightened
I had a M6 before I figured out that the light was mostly for just having it. I

I disagree - the M6 is one of the most versatile, rugged flashlights for hard use. With the HOLA, it is incredibly bright but a battery hog. With the MN20 it is still amazingly bright, and using an MN15 with 2.5 hrs of runtime makes an ideal "using" light. That is, if you can bear beating up a $400 flashlight by dropping it, having it roll across the pavement, etc.

The 10x makes a lot of sense if you use it every night, either for work, dog walking in the desert or lighting up the neighbor's house.

Never was a big fan of the M4 on primaries, just don't see a good battery / output / life ratio there, but that's just me.

AS the previous poster said, define your needs an get a light that works for you. There are a ton of threads about the M6 and probably the others. I even started one before I bought my first M6 :thumbsup:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166786

O, try them all then decide...

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
M4 and the M6 share the same KT4 turbo head. Only difference is that M6 is 6xCR123 whereas M4 is 4xCR123.
It does depend on what the usage is for. If you rely heavily on the light, a rechargeable option like the 10X with 2 stage output would be the obvious choice.
As for output the least is M4 at 350lmn then 500lmn for both the 10x and M6.
I myself also use an incan regularly so rechargeable option very important for long run cost savings. I'm having the M3 head with MN11 bulb + Leef 2x18650 + Z58 Tailcap. This gives me around 330lmns for 40minutes (bright enough so far). IMO going rechargeable this way rather than the 'SF way' is that the initial investment is much cheaper, also spares can be bought most anywhere.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
It is possible to use the M3T Lamp assembly in the M6 (HOLA type assembly only) if you search something like "M6 lamp assemblies" you might get to the post. You get much more run time, a little less light, but a much smaller hole in your wallet for spending on batteries (a lot less than 32.50 an hour).

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree - the M6 is one of the most versatile, rugged flashlights for hard use.

Different strokes for different folks. Maybe in your case but the M6 didn't do much for 'me' except sit in my pack inside a holster. My SF U2 and X200 weapons light has seen the most use followed closely by my E2e.

I would totally forget I had the M6 until I clean out my pack or in situations where I needed it and didn't have it because I left my pack at home. Pretty much lead me to sell it to aquire magazines for firearms.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Never was a big fan of the M4 on primaries, just don't see a good battery / output / life ratio there, but that's just me.

I completely and TOTALLY agree with this statment when it comes to the M4. So moving on:

The 10X is an excellent choice to leave in the charger, right next to the door, as an emergency bright/ VERY BRIGHT light. Another good choice is a magcharger with a Welch Allyn bulb.

Now, onto the M6. Hands down my FAVorite flashlight. It is what i grab when I am going outside at night, but have NO idea what is happening.

I have brighter lights: HID and a Thor. I have lights with more runtime: Tri Star Phazer and anything with a LED.

BUT. Nothing has the throw and color rendition of an incan, AND nothing that BRIGHT is as easily pocketable as a Surefire M6.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Personally, If you are serious about this class and price point, but want rechargeable options, I'd suggest a leefbody 2x18650 C tail M head, a Millennium Turbo head, MN15 and MN16 to play with, (just order a KT4 kit), a LF HO-M3T and EO-M3T (so you can play around with lamps and decide which output/runtime best suits your needs) 4 or more 18650 cells so you have extended runtime available, and a SF C compatible tailcap switch of your choice.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll say this much about my M6 with HOLA. She's definitely not guilt free lumens! :)

Lumens factory have come out with a lamp assembly for the M6 which runs 6xR123 for 700 bulb lumens. (Please don't use unprotected R123s unless you are well versed in their usage and aware of the risks.)

http://www.lumensfactory.com/product_detail.php?id=54

So now you can run your M6 guilt free.

I would also look into the options that mdocod mentioned. The Wolf-eyes/Pila lights are also worth a look.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Another vote for the Wolf-Eyes 13V. About half the cost of an M6, 3/4 of the M4, but you'll need to add a $25 Lumens Factory EO-13 to have the hi/lo capability. Runs 3x18650/3x18500 (choose when ordering) giving low cost per hour. Worth window-shopping even if you've decided on a Surefire.