Would you recommend SL "SideWinder" or something else?..

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Does anyone here have or seen the new StreamLight SideWinder? I want an angle light as an emergency tool for floods, blackouts etc.

SideWinder has impressive time runs on different levels with different colors and runs on 2 AAs. What I don't like is that its main LED is only 20 lumens. Are there any other angle lights that are in the making or out which are brighter and have multi color option?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Sidewinder, and consider it a very good emergency light.

True, it is not superbright, but more than enough for most tasks. Enough light to illuminate a small work area, and to find your way safely. Very solid, drop some AA lithium in it and stash it anywhere where you may need it in an emergency.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Sidewinder and the Pentagon MOLLE.

No significant difference in brightness (the Sidewinder has four brightness modes, easy to miss the highest, took me a while to notice that).

The MOLLE is quite nice also. The tan version comes with a red filter, the non-tan (forget which color it is) has a blue filter, both filters can be bought separate, so you have some color options. Very small and simple, single AA light. Drop-in-luggage-or-wherever emergency light. Not completely watertight, though. I suspect that it leaks around the switch cover while activating during water exposure.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. Would it be technically possible to mod the Sidewinder to accept a Cree or an SSC?

I guess since SideWinder has more options and almost the same in brightness as the Pnetagon Mollie light, I'll pick the SideWinder.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting two lights would not be a bad thing here...

A very bright light is not useful for closeup work (and even if it is an adjustable output light, the right angle light is easier to use hands free, plus the Sidewinder has the multiple colors of LEDs), and a small multifunction/multi-LED light is not going have good through (helps to have large reflector/lens).

The "spare" light syndrome (carrying two to three lights; bright/throw, small handsfree with multicolors, and a AA or AAA backup with good battery life) has its advantages.

-Bill

s23246g

Newly Enlightened
Beware... the colored LEDs on the Sidewinder are full of artifacts. I was dissapointed in this. Spending $60 on a light should get you a good light with nearly flawless light IMO. I do like the design of the light, and it is built very ruggedly, but when a cheap Rayovac headlamp I picked up at Wal Mart for $18 has vastly superior leds, you gotta wonder what Streamlight is trying to pull.