Hot Wire lantern

Norm

Retired Administrator
I had this dead elcheapo lantern lying around the garage and wondered what I could make out of it, the battery was dead the bulb was blown even the charging resistor fell into two pieces when i opened the light.

carspotlightrechargeablfs3.jpg

I had on hand spare Osram 64610 bulbs but the reflector is made to take H3 style bulbs.

h3bulb240yl9.jpg
osrambrl50jr7.jpg

I cut the flange off the H3 bulb using a diamond saw blade in my Dremel, drilled the flange and mounted a ceramic bulb socket using the spacers from a Piu hi temp socket kit.

reflectorhb2.jpg

I then glued the flange assembly into the reflector using Arctic Alumina, to change bulbs all I have to do is remove the lens.
Sometimes things just work out right the focus is perfect and the throw is amazing. Currently I am using a 12 Volt SLA battery to test the setup but plan to make a battery holder for 9 18650's 3 X series 3 X parallel.
All thoughts and Ideas welcome, I'd like to know if anyone has tried anything similar or has ideas.
Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
No beam shots Glen my camera just can't cope; the throw is incredible , the 64610 is a stunning bulb, it's fantastic in a mag, put in in a 4 inch reflector and the output is amazing.
Norm

cat

Enlightened
hey! I've got one of those. It would only work for about 3 or 4 minutes and then need to be charged for 20 hours. I think the battery died about a year ago. I stripped it a few days ago to see if I could do something with it, like put heavier gauge wires and a better battery. (The one it comes with is a 6V 4AH SLA.) H3 55W. I want to check if the radio elec shop has a 12V battery that wwould fit. I doubt it, though - the space is small. Maybe I should try to make a battery pack.

Latest posts