Radio Shack torch with 1W SE

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
***Updated 3/1/3 with beam shots - see end of post...

I received a RS 3C torch from a CPFer to modify. Anyhow I finished it off yesterday & took some pics. Basically it's a 1W Luxeon SE mounted to a copper slug that drops in place of the original bulb - no other mods to the torch. Runs direct drive.

The slug and the insulated base:
fc947830.jpg

Closeup of slug and insulated base:
fc94782f.jpg

Insulated base test fit on bottom of slug:
fc94782d.jpg

Wire soldered to base and 'threaded' through the slug:
fc9477e6.jpg

Ground wire soldered to slug - takes quite a bit of heat!
fc9477e3.jpg

SE glued on to slug - ready for soldering connections:
fc9477e2.jpg

Completed 'bulb' ready to go:
fc9477df.jpg

LED 'bulb' installed in torch, just drops in:
fc9477de.jpg

Head screwed on - all ready to 'fire' up...
fc9477dc.jpg

Some beam shots:

First one is with the camera flash firing:
fc919371.jpg

Next one without the flash:
fc919370.jpg

Beam from about 5' from the door:
fc91936f.jpg

george.
My Home Page for LED stuff

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

how well does it distribute the heat? i've been wanting to do a mod like this, but was concerned about melting the reflector. i'm currently working on a design (in my head of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), that will drop-in, but not be limited to the standard bulb size. (it may only work in *ags?)

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
very nice!

how well does it distribute the heat? i've been wanting to do a mod like this, but was concerned about melting the reflector. i'm currently working on a design (in my head of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), that will drop-in, but not be limited to the standard bulb size. (it may only work in *ags?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Seems to do a good job, the slug is copper and sucks the heat out of the Luxeon quick smart. The assembly that the 'bulb' sits in is aluminium which does a fine job of tranferring the heat from the copper slug to the fins that connect to the body of the torch. I've run it for several minutes (I'm conserving my Duracell C cells...) and it's barely warm at the slug.

george.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that's a nice mod!

I forgot about the RS flashlight. When CPF was getting overhauled, I made this:

badse1.jpg

I almost fried it in a 2D Mag with 3C cells, but it survived even though it got real (real) hot. Might actually be useful in the RS.......

More details posted at:Darksbane Light Forum

While not the recommended way to use a Luxeon for maximum cooling, bulb type mods may work very well in aluminum bulb post lights like the RS. In the Mag D with the plastic bulb post, there's nowhere for the heat to go. But the RS light is all aluminum. I better go dig in the closet for an RS......

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used my LEDTronics 3-cell 1W PR bulb with resistor in Nordic 2C and 3C flashlights (Nordic made RS) It seemed to me that there was a lot of "slop" or "play" between the brass PR base and the aluminum post cylinder. My read was that the heat transfer would be OK at the flange into the threaded aluminum rim retainer and the LEDTronics above the PR flange fins, but that most of the heavy bulb base below the flange would not enjoy effective metal-to-metal contact.

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
NICE mod. BTW, your website awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Great mod...I was in the middle of a mod and was stuck with how I wanted to proceed. Yours gave me an idea. I hope to work on it some tomorrow. I'll get pictures once I'm done.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I had been bugging George to do something like this. He finally has come through. I am also urging him to make this available to CPFers. He also told me that the first "bulb" that he made sucked about 1.1A but barely got warm. I believe the copper slug is very effective at transfering the heat.

I can't wait until I get my hands on the proto #2. I donated the torch and more importantly, I did NOT bug him. I just let him do his magic.

Thanks,
- Vikas