Surefire's different inner tube diameters in their line of flashlights?

triskadecaepyon

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed that certain flashlights on surefire's line of lights have different inner diameters where the batteries go in. For example, My A2 Aviator had barely enough room to put in standard SF123A's, and couldn't fit the R123A's in because of a slight difference in the diameter of the batteries. However, my new L5 has a TON of room, and now I can use those lines of rechargeables I've been wanting to use for so long.

Now I am looking for a new surefire light to add to the collection, and I was wondering if ya'll could chime in on the ability to fit slightly wider diameter cells in, or better yet, give me the inner diameter measurements. Particularly the E1L, which I am particularly interested in.

I am currently using the powerizer 3.6V protected R123A kit, if that helps.

Any help is appreciated!

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't have any way of measuring precisely or any RCR's laying about but it appears to me that the E-series has a slightly wider internal diameter than that of the A2, but not really by much. In any case, with the insane runtime of the new Cree E*L lights I don't think I'd worry about not being able to run rechargeables anyway.

triskadecaepyon

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any way of measuring precisely or any RCR's laying about but it appears to me that the E-series has a slightly wider internal diameter than that of the A2, but not really by much. In any case, with the insane runtime of the new Cree E*L lights I don't think I'd worry about not being able to run rechargeables anyway.

Thanks, that's all that I needed before I plunged on the buy. The batteries I have JUST miss fitting in my A2, and I was displeased when I found out.

Is the A2 the tightest fitting of the surefires? Are there any similar or worse?

SCblur

Enlightened
my L1 (old style) and L2 (new style) are very tight, primaries only. My E-series tubes, M3, G2, G2Z all accept 17mm cells, albiet snugly. Hope that helps.

Nathan

Enlightened
From looking at two samples of new E1L Cree, it has the same body dimensions as previous versions. However, the E1L-C has the newer KX1 head, which flickers every 2 seconds when more than 3V are used. I've seen this with BatteryStation 3.7V RCR's on two different KX1's.

My A2 also has a fairly narrow tube so my RCR123's don't fit. Just as well since the higher voltage isn't very healthy for the LED's (only the incan is regulated). My E2L Cree also has a very narrow tube, similar to the A2.

triskadecaepyon

Newly Enlightened
From looking at two samples of new E1L Cree, it has the same body dimensions as previous versions. However, the E1L-C has the newer KX1 head, which flickers every 2 seconds when more than 3V are used. I've seen this with BatteryStation 3.7V RCR's on two different KX1's.

My A2 also has a fairly narrow tube so my RCR123's don't fit. Just as well since the higher voltage isn't very healthy for the LED's (only the incan is regulated). My E2L Cree also has a very narrow tube, similar to the A2.

Wow, I didn't know that the KX1 head did that. Sure is a real turn off :(. I hope surefire's new L5 head for 2007 (In the catalog, but not on their website yet) won't be doing that.

So it looks like E1L is not very good with RCR's? I wonder if that flickering is a deturrent for using RCR's by surefire or an adverse affect of the new KX1 head.

LiteFan

Enlightened
Wow, I didn't know that the KX1 head did that. Sure is a real turn off :(. I hope surefire's new L5 head for 2007 (In the catalog, but not on their website yet) won't be doing that.

So it looks like E1L is not very good with RCR's? I wonder if that flickering is a deturrent for using RCR's by surefire or an adverse affect of the new KX1 head.

The L5 is on indefinate hold...possibly wont be made.